Canucks in Germany - Off Season Thread

Guest Ed

With the release of JBB from FC St Pauli last week, they become the only Bundesliga club with 0 foreigners on the books.

Verein Ausländer

1. FC St. Pauli 0

2. Hannover 96 7

2. 1.FC Kaiserslautern 7

4. 1.FC Nürnberg 8

5. Bayer Leverkusen 10

6. Werder Bremen 11

6. Eintracht Frankfurt 11

6. SC Freiburg 11

9. Borussia Dortmund 12

10. 1. FC Köln 13

10. VfB Stuttgart 13

12. FSV Mainz 05 14

12. Bayern München 14

14. Borussia Mönchengladbach 15

15. Hamburger SV 17

15. TSG Hoffenheim 17

17. FC Schalke 04 18

17. VfL Wolfsburg 18

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted yesterday in another thread that he has interest from Bundesliga 2, Liga 3 and Regional League teams, according to the Hamburg press. Looks likely to be remaining in Germany.

That's bizarre; Is there ANY pro Euro team that can attest to that??

They're obviously coming in at the bottom of the first Bundesliga

next season. WOW! With NO foreigners. That is Wild! Good on them!

Athletic Bilbao

That's bizarre; Is there ANY pro Euro team that can attest to that??

They're obviously coming in at the bottom of the first Bundesliga

next season. WOW! With NO foreigners. That is Wild! Good on them!

It is doubly funny as St. Pauli is the most left-wing and non-nationalistic team in Germany. I suspect they will have a few foreigners before the season starts though. I also suspect they will finish at the bottom of the league. As much as I love Pauli, they don't really belong in the 1st Bundesliga. The type of big money sponsors that they need to stay up there don't really fit the club and the ideals of its suporters.

As far as JBB is concerned it was rumoured Koblenz were interested in signing him. They were relegated from the 2nd division this year. I think this would be the ideal situation for JBB, going to a team in the 3rd division that would be a favourite for promotion. He needs to get some playing time and if he establishes himself at a club would have a good chance for keeping his playing time when they promote to the 2nd division.

Jaineil Hoilett starts the comeback with his FSV Mainz U19's down 3-1 this weekend, making it 3-2. Mainz go on to a 6-3 win over Eintracht Frankfurt and are still in the hunt for first place in the A1 Junioren Bundesliga Sued/SuedWest division. They can take the championship this coming weekend with a win against 1860 Muenchen and a loss by leaders VfB Stuttgart to 3rd place SC Karlsruher.

Julien Latendresse-Levesque in goal again for Energie Cottbus U19's and Jarome Baker on at 42 minutes in a 1-1 draw in the A1-Junioren Bundesliga Nord/Nordost.

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates.

Major rumour that Rob Friend will be with Hertha Berlin (relegated to B2 last season) in a 2M Euro deal.

Following players from past season still looking for clubs:

Nik Ledgerwood - released by FSV Frankfurt

Jonathan Bourgault-Beaulieu - released from FC St Pauli

Alex Elliott - released from FSV Mainz reserves

Massih Wassey - released from Schalke reserves

The Berliner Zeitung is reporting that it is a done deal. Friend to Hertha Berlin for 1 M Euros, down from 2.5 to 3 M Euros that 'Gladbach were looking for originally.

It's funny though because 'Gladbach let Coulatti go to another club so he might have had more chances with 'Gladbach. However, the coach of Hertha wants to use Rob in exactly the role he prefers, lone striker with two effective crossing wingers, so I am looking forward to next season. And as Grizz says, Hertha is a big club and very likely the early favourite for a quick bump back to Bundesliga 1.

I would rather have a forward playing 30+ games and scoring 18 goals a season in Bund 2 then have him playing 20 games (most of those as a sub) and scoring 5 goals in Bund 1.

+1 He's probably not B1 starting material, and I'm okay with that, and it seems like he is too. This will serve him better for Canada as well.

+1 He's probably not B1 starting material, and I'm okay with that, and it seems like he is too. This will serve him better for Canada as well.

I think he has already proven he is B1 starting material. In 2008-09 he scored 7 goals in 24 appearances on a poor team which isn't star material but is about what an average B1 striker on a mid-table team would get. He was tied for 30th place on the goal scoring list that year with among others Cacau. Last year of course he had a lot of injuries and struggled to get a lot of playing time. The problem with Friend is not that he is not a B1 quality striker but that he is a certain type of striker and to be effective you have to have the right type of players to play with him and adjust your formation to suit him. This is the same problem we have with him on the national team because we never play a tactic that suits the type of striker he is. The question is whether that is because the coaches are not tactically aware enough to do this or whether the coaches have determined rightly or wrongly that we don't have good enough wingers to pull it off. The reason Monchengladbach is transferring him is their coach doesn't think his style complements Raul Bobadilla who they think is going to be their star striker of the future (he is 22) even though he wasn't really much better than Friend was last year.

disappointing that yet another one of our very few top league players has dropped down to the second tier....at least he didnt drop 2 tiers like JDG did.

a year ago we had 6 players in a top 4 league....now we have one.

at least hertha are a bigger club.....here's hoping they bounce back up before too long (amazing that they went from 4th to last in one season)....i was really hoping he would get a shot at a lower prem club.

disappointing that yet another one of our very few top league players has dropped down to the second tier....at least he didnt drop 2 tiers like JDG did.

a year ago we had 6 players in a top 4 league....now we have one.

at least hertha are a bigger club.....here's hoping they bounce back up before too long (amazing that they went from 4th to last in one season)....i was really hoping he would get a shot at a lower prem club.

Unfortunate as it is, it's better to be getting regular time in Div 2 or Div 3, then no time or very little time in Div 1.

really?....it would be better for him to be in level 3?....he was the top scorer of a BL1 side last year....had injury problems but played a lot this year....we cant simply say to every canadian player, try and stay in a low league so you get to play all the time...some players should strive to be in the best league they can and fight for time on the pitch....he paid his dues and became a regular in one of the top leagues in the world....he is now in the prime of his career and should be playing at the highest level he can.....he only has a few years left.....he was hardly a journeyman who consistently sat the bench.

he was by no means getting 'no time or very little time'...when he was not injured over the last 2 years he played far more often than not.

i am really tired of being satisfied with striving for mediocrity as long as it means playing time....play on the best team possible and fight to earn your spot.

If my memory serves me correctly, not only are there no foreigners, Athletic Bilbao are a team who don't even have anyone in their side from outside of their city (perhaps provincial?) area?

There is an ethnic policy, not based on residence or nationality.

-------------------------

The club is known for its cantera policy of bringing young Basque players through the ranks, as well as recruiting top Basque players from other clubs (like Joseba Etxeberria or Javi Martínez). Athletic official policy is signing professional players native to the greater Basque Country, including Biscay, Guipúzcoa, Álava and Navarre (in Spain); and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre (in France). Still, in recent times, this policy has been somewhat relaxed and players with direct Basque ancestry or with no Basque ancestry but formed in Basque clubs have played for the team. This has gained Athletic both admirers and critics. The club has been praised for promoting home grown players and club loyalty. Athletic is one of only four professional clubs in Spain (the others being Real Madrid, Barcelona and Osasuna) that is not a sports corporation; the club is owned and operated by its associates (socios).

--------------------------------

A similiar policy is that of Guadulajara of Mexico (Chivas) who have had a policy since 1908 of only having players who were born in Mexico. Ths has made the club very popular in many quarters throughout Mexico, but has the strange result that some US National players could play for them and some Mexico national squad players could not.

Archived