Canucks in Germany - Off Season Thread

Guest Ed

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to be in Munich with some friends in late September and we want to check out a 1860 Munchen home game. If any of you german masters could help out with info/advice I'd appreciate it.

I realize that this is off topic.

Cheers.

I'd go to the bigsoccer.com/forum site, under Yanks Abroad or the German Clubs thread and ask there. Lot more North Americans living in and around Munich on that site and you will get some good info.

In another thread there was atalk about Sidra leaving Cottbus and Latendresse (JLL) moving from the youth team to the reserve.

Well, not only has he moved up from the youth to the reserve, he is now in the first team roster as the 3rd goalkeeper!

http://www.onzemontreal.com/2010/07/julien-latendresse-levesque-monte-les.html

translation (sorry for my unprofessionnal English, I am better the other way around!):

OM - If I understand correctly, your contract will last until the end of the 2010-11 season,with a 2-year option for the club?

JLL - Exactly, at the end of the 10-11 season the club will have the option to extend my contract until the end of the2012-2013 season or let me leave.

OM - When and where did/does the reserve team's training camp take/took place?

JLL - It started on the 2nd of July in Cottbus

OM - And how were you able to make the first team notice your performances?

JLL - The training staff regularly informs itself of the reserve team players and even the U19 players. They always keep an eye on us.

OM - What motivated them to bring you with the first team?

JLL - It is very difficult to climb the ladder here because there is so many goalkeepers. Fortunaly for me the 3rd keeper ( Marvin Gladrow) hurt himself a few days ago, therefore I had the chance to replace him.

OM - Did you join the first team for the training camp?

JLL - No, (note: it seems it has not even started) I joined them in training this morning, but we are leaving tomorrow for a training camp in Northern Germany.

OM - Are you satisfied with your progression so far?

JLL - Of course I'd like to progress as fast as possible, but I've acquired a lot of experience and maturity in the last few years by living and training in a professionnal environment such as the one FC Energie Cottbus provides me. The Goalkeeper trainer and myself have set up a 2 months training plan that will help improve impulse (note: is that ok?)and strength in my legs.

OM - What are your chances of being a starting keeper for the first team and where do you rank in the keeper ''hierarchy''?

JLL - I am battling to have a starting place with the team: I am 3rd in the hierarchy. That is why my performances this year will be crucial for my future as a player.

I feel like if he pulls off a good season, he will be set to a bright future... A potential good keeper for Les Rouges!

I think with JLL moving up so fast and having a stable club situation he could be in line to be the starting keeper for the 2011 U20s ahead of Street, Stillo, Santiago and Gracey

Wow that is a deep keeper pool and that isn't even including keepers on the 3 pro club academies

^^ JLL has done well the last year and moved up fast but we shouldn't get overexcited either or overvalue him training with the 1st team. JLL graduated from the youth team to the reserve team this year which is a good achievement. The guy one notch up and one year older in the Cottbus keeper order, Marvin Gladrow, graduated from the reserve team to signing a first team professional contract. However, as the 3rd keeper for Cottbus, barring injuries he will be mostly playing with the reserve team this year. In essence, barring major keeper injuries on the 1st team, Gladrow would be the 1st choice keeper for the reserve team with JLL as his backup. Since it is a development team, JLL would probably still get a decent number of starts. Gladrow was basically in the same position as Straith was last year, training with the first team in pre-season, starting the season with the reserve team and waiting for an injury or poor play by some players to get a call up and hopefully play well enough to stay up. The difference being it is much more difficult to get your chance at keeper.

Gladrow has strained his upper body muscles which doesn't sound like that serious or long-term of an injury. Thus, JLL has basically replaced him as the 3rd keeper in the 1st team camp for the time of his injury. This is a great opportunity for him to train at a higher level and show the head coach his capabilities and possibly pass Gladrow on the depth chart. However, it is also pretty far from being near playing for the 1st team. I suspect Gladrow will be back by or not long after the start of the reserve team season and JLL will be playing for the reserve team in the 4th division, the frequency of his starts depending on his performances. A lot of guys get to about this level and then don't get any further. Straith was the exception and hopefully JLL will be one too but we have seen so many others get here and fail that we should not get too excited too soon. Also I think Stillo is a bit further than JLL at the moment in that he is in the same position of being a youth keeper training with the first team but in his case it is a top Serie A team not a top 2nd Bundesliga team.

OO received a rating of 2 for his performance in friday's game. He is the only player with his keeper receiving such a high note.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/3liga/spieltag/3-liga/2010-11/1/1015541/spielanalyse_kickers-offenbach-120_1-fc-saarbruecken-106.html

Here's an article talking about Kickers and OO strong start tot he new season:

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/3liga/startseite/540334/artikel_Starker-Occean-trifft-prompt.html

Nik Ledgerwood goes 90 minutes at left back in his debut for SV Wehen Wiesbaden, a 1-0 away win over Klaus Augenthaler's SpVgg Unterhaching.

^ He is trialing with them; the article says they know him well and look to use him as a number 10.

BTW, Oliver Occean made the Liga 3 team of the week for his strong debut performance with Offenbach.

Sandhausen 0 - 1 Kickers Offenbach in the second half (20 min left).

OO scored his second of the season at the 26th min.

Edit: Final score 2-0 and OO played 81 min. Maybe a good start of the season for him could land him a call for the 2 MNT games in September.

Sandhausen 0 - 1 Kickers Offenbach in the second half (20 min left).

OO scored his second of the season at the 26th min.

Edit: Final score 2-0 and OO played 81 min. Maybe a good start of the season for him could land him a call for the 2 MNT games in September.

A 28- year old playing B3? I am probably the biggest OO fan on this forum but wouldn't want him to take the place of a young gun like Bunbury. If Gerba was in shape I would think he too would have to be called ahead of him too. Hopefully he will prove himself to be far above this level of football (I certainly think so) and maybe land a B2 (or Danish? or MLS?) gig for his last few years.

A 28- year old playing B3? I am probably the biggest OO fan on this forum but wouldn't want him to take the place of a young gun like Bunbury. If Gerba was in shape I would think he too would have to be called ahead of him too. Hopefully he will prove himself to be far above this level of football (I certainly think so) and maybe land a B2 (or Danish? or MLS?) gig for his last few years.

I sure hope Saputo is planning on bringing him to Montreal. I think he'd fare well

Well, when Gerba was scoring goals for us he was playing in the German and English third divison and wasn't even a starter. If OO sets the B3 on fire I think he would be worth a call, specially if his team can get promoted to the B2 next season. Of course that's a big "if" and we aren't there yet. It's just nice to see him scoring once again.

I sure hope Saputo is planning on bringing him to Montreal. I think he'd fare well

OO career in Europe is much more impressive than Gerba, 57 goals in 139 games in Norway Tippeligaen and now B3 compare to 24 goals in 77 games in Europe for Ali. If I were a club GM and had the choice between the 2, OO would be my man.

SV Wehen Wiesbaden 1-0 SV Babelsberg 03

Ledgerwood played 90 minfor SVWW and received the lowest note of his team (4) from kicker.de.

Occean received a 2 (highest mark for his team) for his saturday performance. It's enough to make it on a second B3 team of the week.

B3 action, Kickers Offenbach are host to Bayern Munich II. KO leads 1-0 after 20 min and OO has started.

Edit: I was a bit worried for that first half and hour as OO didn't score but he just did at the 32nd min and it's now 2-0 KO.

Archived