Canucks in Germany - Off Season Thread

Guest Ed

Looks to me like Ledgerwood played a match for third division Bavarian side SV Wacker Burghausen recently : http://www.villages.de/?page_id=1138

Can't see a date, but does that look right to you, Ed?

I don't have the time to dig too deep but I think that link is to an old match when Nik was loaned out to SV WB from 1860.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be nice to see Hertha play some time this year, see how Friend does.

Good summary of At Bilbao policy, beachsl, you are right, only Basques, in principle. Which is why Lizarazu played for them, French Basque.

But also kids who are recruited or are from Basque stock living elsewhere, like Llorente at the World Cup with Spain, originally from La Rioja, not a Basque region. Recruited at age 13 and went to live in Bilbao to train with the team, stayed with a Basque family. I met a guy from La Rioja in Burgos over Easter who played youth with him before he left.

Coaches could be from anywhere, current coach is from Andalusia.

Personally I dislike this policy, I find it racist, simple as that. The world does not work on the basis of only playing your own, or deciding content on racial grounds. Clubs represent cities, or parts of them. So immigrants are out? I find that horrendous and don't buy this admiration for only playing your own as a rule. I much prefer the idea that you play as muchof your academy kids as possible, that you show loyalty to kids who grew up as your fans. There are plenty of clubs like that, like Sporting Gijon, they have three foreigners on a 25+ roster. And a great youth system.

I don't have the time to dig too deep but I think that link is to an old match when Nik was loaned out to SV WB from 1860.

Looks like you were right, of course. Old posts popping up on google masquerading as new posts even by date searches. Grrrrrrr.

Hmmm not sure if worth mentioning that the club JBB is going to is the same one that Massih Wassey played for before moving on to Schalke. Doubt there is any connection but the good news is that region seems to have heaps of clubs and hopefully plenty of options for him to continue his career.

Not sure who here reads When Saturday Comes, but the current world cup issue has a spread on Hertha Berlin and their fall from 4th to last. Pretty interesting - there will be no top flight football in Berlin this year. It also touches on the hard time the club has had connecting to the people of the city where the east have no allegiance to them and the average sports fan in the city apparently has EIGHTY-THREE other sports clubs to choose from!!

Hmmm not sure if worth mentioning that the club JBB is going to is the same one that Massih Wassey played for before moving on to Schalke. Doubt there is any connection but the good news is that region seems to have heaps of clubs and hopefully plenty of options for him to continue his career.

Not sure who here reads When Saturday Comes, but the current world cup issue has a spread on Hertha Berlin and their fall from 4th to last. Pretty interesting - there will be no top flight football in Berlin this year. It also touches on the hard time the club has had connecting to the people of the city where the east have no allegiance to them and the average sports fan in the city apparently has EIGHTY-THREE other sports clubs to choose from!!

In East Berlin there is no connection to Hertha because they have two clubs with a far more interesting history and fan culture, Union and Dynamo. Hertha is one of those clubs that outside of its fans noone really loves it or hates it or has much emotion towards them whatsoever. Dynamo and Union on the other side inspire a lot more passion even if the attendance numbers are not nearly as high as Hertha. Dynamo was the Stasi (East German secret police) supported team that dominated soccer in the GDR and won championship after championship with the help of unfair transfers and friendly refs and which also did well in European play. In East Germany you either love them or hate them. Now though they have fallen to the 5th division. Union was the underdog team in the GDR supported by many opponents of the regime and have a great fan base. If you grow up rooting for one of these two teams it is pretty hard to feel much passion for a "blah" team like Hertha. Union plays in the 2nd division so next year there will be a Berlin derby. Nevertheless, Hertha has the most money of the 3 teams and will likely be back in B1 soon so this is a good move for friend (even though I would prefer he score the goals leading to promotion for Union instead of Hertha).

Fabrice Lassonde signed a 1 year pro contract with FC Ingolstadt 04, who got promoted to B2. He moves up from the reserve team in 5th div (Bayernliga) to the first team. HE says they play him at either center midfield or right back.

Fabrice Lassonde signed a 1 year pro contract with FC Ingolstadt 04, who got promoted to B2. He moves up from the reserve team in 5th div (Bayernliga) to the first team. HE says they play him at either center midfield or right back.

Great news especially after all these other fellows dropping down a division or being released. Don't know much about him. Is he a potential defensive mid for Canada?

I asked hima few questions few months ago and he said he would be very pleased to represent Canada if he is given the chance... But according to the CSA website he has never appeared in an official U17 or U20 qualifying match... I think it's time to consider calling him up

I'll try to watch the Ingolstadt games next season, hope he gets some minutes and see if he plays well.

But according to the CSA website he has never appeared in an official U17 or U20 qualifying match..

I'll try to watch the Ingolstadt games next season, hope he gets some minutes and see if he plays well.

Really? He was definitely on our last U20 team that failed to qualify. Maybe he never made it on to the field?

I asked hima few questions few months ago and he said he would be very pleased to represent Canada if he is given the chance... But according to the CSA website he has never appeared in an official U17 or U20 qualifying match... I think it's time to consider calling him up

If he starts playing in the 2nd BL yes but at the moment he has only played in the 5th division so he is not deserving of a call up. He has also played quite a bit with various Canadian national teams: http://www.canadasoccer.com/players/profile.asp?playerid=238&tab=games

http://www.rp-online.de/niederrheinsued/moenchengladbach/sport/borussia/Daems-bleibt-im-Amt-Trio-raus_aid_876979.html

Need help with the German article - Stalteri free to explore a new club over the next two weeks?? But not officially released?

Most of the article is about the coach Frontzeck but it states Stalteri and 2 other players will not train with the first team anymore and are free to find a new club. It is not stated in the article but since he still has a contract they will have to pay him and allow him to train with the reserve side if he does not find a new club.

Three players, Stalteri included, are no longer training with the team and will be released if they don't find a club within two weeks.

Tsk,tsk, you need to work on your German, Ed. :) This is not correct, they will not be released and indeed can not be released under German soccer regulations. In Germany a club must allow any player with a valid contract to train properly with the club. This usually results in any player who is no longer wanted by the club training with the reserve team until they find a new club or their contract expires. The article doesn't state that they will be released in the next week or two but rather if they find a club in the next week or two they will be spared the indignity of being excluded from the first team (it sounds like none of the players showed up for the start of training camp because they are all trying out with other teams but this is not really clear from the article).

Nik Ledgerwood has signed a 2 year deal with 3 Liga side SV Wehen Wiesbaden in Germany:

Nikolas Ledgerwood hat heute nach erfolgreicher sportärztlicher Untersuchung einen Vertrag über zwei Jahre beim SV Wehen Wiesbaden unterschrieben. Der 25-Jährige kommt vom Zweitligisten FSV Frankfurt. Beim SVWW soll er im defensiven Mittelfeld eingesetzt werden, er erhält die Trikotnummer 5.

Archived