TFC vs Sounders

tmcmurph

I watched the Sounders vs Dallas game last night. Seattle looks strong, perhaps even stronger than last year. The 35+ yard free kick goal has highlight reel written all over it. The PK that gave Dallas a tie was a bit of a gift IMHO.

http://mls.neulion.com/mlsvp/console.jsp?catid=114&id=4486

So this isn't the must win game that the Philly one was but boy do TFC have their hands full. If you can get a draw that would be great and if you can steal 3. They rested a few including Freddie L so they are planning on taking all 3 from you.

Good luck.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watched the Sounders vs Dallas game last night. Seattle looks strong, perhaps even stronger than last year. The 35+ yard free kick goal has highlight reel written all over it. The PK that gave Dallas a tie was a bit of a gift IMHO.

Good luck.

I agree. Was watching the Sounders-FCD game on GolTV last night... Seattle got screwed royally by the Official... Up 2-1, I believe it was the 3rd minute of injury time, when a PK was called. Yeisley really exaggarated getting tripped, and Vaughn the official fell for it...

I'm wondering if this will have an impact on them Sunday @ BMO Field? Ljungberg will likely be back as a starter, but I'm hoping fatigue and the fact they may be distracted by the bad call will benefit TFC. I believe thats twice, the Sounders have been screwed in the final minutes due to a bad PK call this season (Against RSL)

Actually I think losing out on the three points at FCD might motivate them even more to come away with three at TFC. Sigi'll be pissed, and will let the players know about it. They are Supporter's Shield candidates, and missing points on the road against teams like FCD and TFC will bite them in the end.

According to John Molinaro on the CBC live chat the starting lineup is going to be:-

Frei, Usanov, Attakora, Cann, Hscanovics, Saric, LaBrocca, de Guzman, De Rosario, Barrett, White

It will be interesting to see how De Rosario gets used. Didn't see too much wrong with Harden at left back last week at least defensively but maybe Preki is looking for a bit more on the overlap.

damnit, somehow I managed to remember the Impact game and not notice this one, anyways, I'll keep watching the impact game and give updates in the appropriate section for anybody who can't tear themselves from the tfc game.

They are stringing passes together nicely from what I see (the justin TV feed keeps cutting out one me :mad:). I can see why Hscanovics was brought in. He is doing quite well when he gets forward and is linking up well with LaBrocca and De Rosario. Hopefully he keeps it going for the full 90 this time. Midfield looks solid enough but more is needed from White and Barrett up front if TFC are going to win this game. I've got a sinking feeling that Saric won't last the game without seeing a red card. Hope I'm wrong. With Sanyang out injured Cronin would be the obvious sub maybe moving wide with Labrocca moving into the holding midfielder role. I've been critical of Attakora in the past but he is finally looking the part in terms of distribution, which helps big time at the back given the possession oriented style favoured by Preki. Cann is the weaker link that way so far in this game but makes up for it with what he provides defensively.

Wow, great game so far. They are buying in and finding some chemistry. Yes, it's a fatigued group of sounders and a not full A squad, but this has to be a good sight for Preki, that these guys are figuring out his simple system of cover for the guy beside you and work your tail off.

Both goals come off of hard work and determination on the ball which lead to slight mistakes and then TFC capitalizing on them.

Becoming a big fan of Saric, as well this guy always first in the scrum yelling at opposition players.

Plus if TFC thinks moving Frei is a smart move is not thinking, lol. Frei IMO could be the best goalie in the MLS. He is getting better at directing his Defenders as well.

Hopefully that result will silence all the negativity that has surrounded the team in recent times. Great to see the fitness level at the end after all the late collapses last season and some of the passing through the midfield in the last 30 minutes was above and beyond anything we have seen in the past three seasons with JDG finally standing out in quality terms to the extent you'd expect from a DP. Finally don't miss Guevara when I'm watching the games.

2nd half performance was quite good. I still wonder where the scoring chances will come from. TFC can't count on defenders giving away the ball to De Ro as easily as Seattle did to lead to both goals. O'Brian White would be a much more useful player if he had another gear he could switch into.

Good result. After the first few minutes and Saric being a psycho i thought we were in for another long day, but they turned it around. Actual chemistry is forming for once and we can string a decent amount of passes together.

We're still toothless up front and Frei saved the backline on several occasions but i'll take the win.

I think this was by far, TFC's best game. Not only can they piece passes together, occasionally they strung consecutive one-touch passes together! Gargan really changed the flow of the game. I think hes under-rated, Frei was unbelievable.

But my most positive observation? The Official really did a good job defending for Seattle just before De-Ro's goal >(

Finally, Saric should have gotten a second yellow, he's a disaster on the field. I know hes from Argentina, but with all the diving in Latin America, what made him think that a career in Soccer would be a good idea?

I also watched a bit of the Impact-Portland game on Radio-Canada... I thought it was interesting how the Official in Montreal was able to stay relatively invisible while still maintaining control of the game... The Official for the TFC-Seattle game was not so invisible. It certainly was NOT one of the worst performances by an MLS official, but to compare the two was interesting. I thought the USL Official did a better job.

This might make me unpopular but MLS is what really matters. If I were Preki I'd use the Montreal game to give 3 or 4 fringe players playing time given there are three games in six days.

I agree with you as a Caps fan, as a TFC fan. I'd think Preki should treat the game the same; that being said his style doesn't always mean he fields the best team on paper rather than one he believes can grind a win out and put together a full 90 minute effort.

I think the new guys gotta get this game we need as many consistent starting XI games as we can get, so they can win at the MLS level at a regular pace.

much better game from TFC, especially 2nd half.

Alonso's gaffe gifted TFC the 1st goal. 2nd goal was a classic counter attack goal.

Frei was man of the match in my opinion. He made some huge saves that made it possible to escape with 3 points.

Saric is a thug. he should have been shown a 2nd Yellow. He does fight for his teammates though, which is an admirable quality.

TFC still plays a very unentertaining style of football. However, a win is a win. 6 pts from 5 games still is not good but should allow the club to breathe a little easier (until Wednesday of course...if they don't win that game, the hand wringing begins anew).

Is there no place in Soccer for a player like Saric, I've always maintained there is. People hate to play against those players all the time. I think they can be used properly. Is it not wrong to want guys like Donovan to think twice before making a dash towards our box. Maybe it's the hockey fan in me, but intimidation works in every sport. It's a fine line yes, and those type of players tend to push it, but if refs are gonna let you get away with it, why not?

Tons of players like him across all levels of soccer, some coaches seem to believe they are useful in certain roles, when their aggression is controlled and used effectively.

Is there no place in Soccer for a player like Saric, I've always maintained there is. People hate to play against those players all the time. I think they can be used properly. Is it not wrong to want guys like Donovan to think twice before making a dash towards our box. Maybe it's the hockey fan in me, but intimidation works in every sport. It's a fine line yes, and those type of players tend to push it, but if refs are gonna let you get away with it, why not?

Tons of players like him across all levels of soccer, some coaches seem to believe they are useful in certain roles, when their aggression is controlled and used effectively.

To me that's on the same level as some guy rolling around on the ground faking injury. It's finding a way to play dirty that's within the rules (or can't be easily detected). I don't particularly think it's sporting or like to see it.

Archived