Toronto will host the 2010 MLS Cup final...

Toronto will host the 2010 MLS Cup final at least according to a " league source" in this Globe and Mail article:-

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/toronto-to-hold-league-championship/article1510064/

A league source confirmed this week that the 15th MLS season will conclude in Toronto this fall, a welcome reward for an organization that has spent upward of $5.5-million this off-season on various renovations, including the installation of a natural grass pitch, improved dugouts and extra seats behind the north goal.

The Toronto Sun reveal said source was Don Garber and that changes to the DP rule are going to be announced next week.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/23/13334721.html

In his conference call Tuesday, MLS commissioner Don Garber said that the league would be announcing changes to the rule next week.

When pressed if the changes would allow teams to each have two DPs, he answered “it’s conceivable we could do that.”

Would be nice to see the DP rule adjusted to lower the hit against the salary cap. Think that would do more to encourage clubs to pursue "star" players than anything else, which of course is something the league wants and needs.

Allowing a 2nd DP isn't financially doable, even for the wealthier clubs. There just wouldn't be any cap room left for the other 20+ players.

To me, the most uncomfortable weather in the GTA or southern Ontario is in November and April. I'll take 20-30 below in Jan and feb any day over that mixture freezing rain and winds with temperatures in the 0-10 range ( ie.: the shivering weather for which there seems to be no proper way to dress for). I'll take dry mid-winter cold from the canadian shield any day over that weather, because at least you can dress for that. This was actually one of my only concerns about going into MLS; those late seaon games.

Playing an event like MLS cup in TO at that time of the year and under those condition knowing full well that the local team might not be playing in game, is very big risk by MLS. Personally, i wouldn't look foward to seeing, say, Chicago versus LA under those condition. I am not sure that I would buy an advance ticket for this. If I were MLS, stick to the warm climates where peopel can look foward to escaping the Northern US and canadiian weather. I'd rather wait for the day that TFC makes it to the finals and escape to a warm place to see it rather than sit under those conditions to watch a game with a neutral interest.

Turns out the journalists who wrote the stories in the original post may have jumped the gun on hosting MLS Cup this year:-

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2010/03/24/13348946.html

Toronto soccer fans shouldn’t get in line for their MLS Cup tickets just yet.

Major League Soccer issued a statement on Wednesday refuting a report that its November championship game had been awarded to Toronto.

“MLS hopes to announce the site of MLS Cup 2010 in the near future,” read a statement from league spokesman Will Kuhns. “All three bids submitted have considerable merit, and we look forward to a fantastic championship week in November....

Personally I wish it was next year.

That way there was a POSSIBILITY of a Toronto vs. Vancouver final in Canada.

Glad you emphasized "possibility." Don't see TFC in the final for many, many moons. On the other hand, possibly seeing the Whitecaps win the cup in TFC's house years before TFC gets a sniff would have been absolutely priceless!!! ;)

Glad you emphasized "possibility." Don't see TFC in the final for many, many moons. On the other hand, possibly seeing the Whitecaps win the cup in TFC's house years before TFC gets a sniff would have been absolutely priceless!!! ;)

Bit of trivia for you...Q: Which of the 3 participating teams has yet to win the Nutrilite Canadian Championship?

We'll see you in MLS next year smart guy...

Well it's nice to see Toronto host a playoff game.

Their own teams: Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, Argos and TFC failed to hold one in 2009 and with the Raptors this year meltdown it may be back to back years.

Is ther any other city with such a bad record?

It's funny cause I own both a TFC and Caps jersey. I really don't see the hate between TFC and any other team in Canada yet, just haven't played each other enough yet. I have nothing against TFC. More Montreal for rolling over for you guys and having played them in many crucial and emotional games.

The people on here who exculsively support TFC thinke everyone is trolling on them when it's just they can't handle what they assume are outsiders opinions. I'm not a Southsider or a Red Patch boy or in Usector. I happen to support the Caps first, but that's cause they are in my backyard.

The people on here who exculsively support TFC thinke everyone is trolling on them when it's just they can't handle what they assume are outsiders opinions.

Yes, must be us TFC fans being all sensitive...

Archived