Toronto will host the 2010 MLS Cup final...

Glad you emphasized "possibility." Don't see TFC in the final for many, many moons. On the other hand, possibly seeing the Whitecaps win the cup in TFC's house years before TFC gets a sniff would have been absolutely priceless!!! ;)

I think Vancouver will do very well in it's first year. Just a feeling.

However, it will still be a parity league.

TFC is 2 bad calls and player away from the finals, or bottom of the league.

The entire notion of long term building in this league is probably a total misnomer.

TFC may be just as likely to win the league this year as Vancouver in ten.

I have to respectfully disagree. We are far more than a player away from the finals.

I think we're two. Get rid of Garcia and add a 20 goal scorer and anything can happen...

fair enough, how bout I change that statement to the people on here who exculsively support one of the 3 clubs Impact, TFC or Caps

Sure.

20 goals would be close to unprecedented in MLS terms. Anything over 10 is a very good goals to games ratio over a 30 game season.

If by close to unprecedented you mean 9 times, then yes, it is a daring feat that no one has accomplished since the dark ages of soccer in 2008:

http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2008/03/mls-top-100-single-season-goal-totals.html

Bear in mind (bonus points) that on another 11 occasions players have scored atleast 18 goals. In an MLS context (bonus points) that means that such a player would be an extreme boost to a teams chances to make the playoffs and possibly win MLS Cup, which is what we were talking about (TFC need someone with a herculean scoring record to win MLS Cup).

Real Salt Lake's top two goalscorers last season were Robbie Finlay and Yura Movsisyan. They scored 12 and 8 goals respectively, while no other RSL player scored more than 3. It's far from inconceivable that stats comparable to that could be generated by the players already on the TFC roster. The problem right now is that if the current favoured scapegoat Nick Garcia were to be dropped the starting back 4 would probably contain 3 players making on or close to the league minimum. That's seldom a recipe for success. An experienced and highly skilled centre back to anchor things at the back might be all it takes right now to put together a squad capable of squeezing into the playoffs and then going all the way like RSL did last year but I'll be more confident in agreeing with socceronly after seeing Dan Gargan and Jacob Peterson in action. Over and out for me on this topic.

Typical strawman argument (double bonus) on your part. Even if we were to replace Garcia with an all-star CB that would still leave half the backline on close to min. wage. Then on the other end we've got Barrett hurt and Guevara no longer with the team, that leaves DeRo as the only player to score more than 3 goals on the entire team. This team needs someone else up front who can take the pressure of Dwayne by scoring consistently. Over and out for me on this topic (Turkey! Bonus on the next 3 posts).

I have to respectfully disagree. We are far more than a player away from the finals.

I am not exactly being serious. I am trying to illustrate the point that it is a parity league and the concept of long term building is almost moot.

TFC needed 1 point to get into the playoffs and the team that squeaked by them won the whole thing.

I think it is a terrible date. The final is going up against the Eastern and Western CFL finals. TSN will be showing the games and will get huge ratings, like they do every year. There will be little coverage in the papers and on television unless TFC is in the final. I see this game being on GOLTV and just a blip on the radar. A truly missed opportunity for soccer in Canada.

I think it is a terrible date. The final is going up against the Eastern and Western CFL finals. TSN will be showing the games and will get huge ratings, like they do every year. There will be little coverage in the papers and on television unless TFC is in the final. I see this game being on GOLTV and just a blip on the radar. A truly missed opportunity for soccer in Canada.

In most of southern Ontario (Hamilton would be an obvious exception) the CFL really doesn't matter that much to most people.

In most of southern Ontario (Hamilton would be an obvious exception) the CFL really doesn't matter that much to most people.

CFL is only really big in the West and Montreal. TFC doesn't have much to lose in Montreal, and most westerners are indifferent towards soccer. Not a lot of hate, but nobody really cares either...it's just not on the radar at all.

The feeling I got when I was down in Ottawa was, "Who cares about CFL...let's watch NFL!"

Archived