Canada vs Guatemala game thread (June 30th, 2009)

loyola

We aren't playing many games so why not starting a game thread for this international friendly?

According to VPjr, the starting lineup for Canada will be:

Wagenaar - Stalteri, Jakovic, McKenna, Kluko - JDG, Atiba, Peters - De Jong, Johnson - Gerba

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

We aren't playing many games so why not starting a game thread for this international friendly?

According to VPjr, the starting lineup for Canada will be:

Wagenaar - Stalteri, Jakovic, McKenna, Kluko - JDG, Atiba, Peters - De Jong, Johnson - Gerba

Is this how they are going to be arranged (4-3-2-1)? As much as I like de Jong's left foot capabilities from the flank, I'd prefer his defensive robustness even more, preferably from a deeper lying position in front of the back four, helping to shield our back line and cover for Klukowksi and Stalteri's offensive forays.

quote:Originally posted by dyslexic nam

I like the matchtracker, but I'd feel a lot better if we had a keeper on the field...

Well put.

If I correctly understood the Spanish article I read, and am right about Guatemala's time zone, the match doesn't start until 1 pm local (4 pm et).

Weird formation

It could be the same one we used in 2007 though with De Jong and Johnson as attacking wingers. JDG Atiba and Peters as central mids.

I don't understand why Peters and Johnson aren't switched who knows though maybe Peters will benefit from this he must be looking good in training.

I hope Jackson gets to play a half as I'd take him over Gerba. Also like to see Hainault in for Jakovic, Hastings in for Kluko, hell put Cann in for McKenna just like the Venezeula friendly play some guys who won't play during the GC. Also Simpson in for De Jong, Bernier for Peters, Harmse for De Guzman, Issey in for Johnson, Sutton for Wagenaar. Just let Stalteri and Hutch play 90. Can't risk injury to De Guzman.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Johnson's not really a forward, though.

He played there before. But you can change this formation to a 4-5-1 with Johnson in the middle or Johnson on the flank with DeJong in the middle where he already played with Canada.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

He played there before. But you can change this formation to a 4-5-1 with Johnson in the middle or Johnson on the flank with DeJong in the middle where he already played with Canada.

I realize that De Jong has predominantly been a left flank player at club level, but I'd like to see what he can do from a more defensively oriented standpoint in the middle. I also realize that this goes against my core belief that you play guys where they usually play at club level, but I feel this particular squad lacks a bit of muscle and ballwinning capability in the centre of the park, so maybe it's worth a look.

VPjr, as usual, gets it right:

01 Canadian player Joshua Wagenaar entered the game.

01 Canadian player Paul Stalteri entered the game.

01 Canadian player Dejan Jakovic entered the game.

01 Canadian player Kevin McKenna entered the game.

01 Canadian player Mike Klukowski entered the game.

01 Canadian player Will Johnson entered the game.

01 Canadian player Julian de Guzman entered the game.

01 Canadian player Atiba Hutchinson entered the game.

01 Canadian player Marcel de Jong entered the game.

01 Canadian player Jaime Peters entered the game.

01 Canadian player Ali Gerba entered the game.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^I heard Will was playing DM for RSL. Maybe he'll be behind Hutch and Jules?

Will is playing as an AM for RSL.

Their DM is Kyle Beckerman.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

GOAL GERBA.

4th minute.

Don't look now, but with a good tournament, he could tie De Ro for the active goal scoring title with 15 (he now has 12).

He's gonna beat Mitchell at this rate. The guy is a goal machine and he is 27 years old, he'll be 30 at the start of the next cycle and probably playing regular MLS ball. He has three years to get 7 goals with two Gold Cups and one WCQ cycle. He'll do it.

Archived