Canada vs Guatemala game thread (June 30th, 2009)

loyola

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Can anyone confirm if this actually was an official friendly???

The CSA seems to be treating this game like a full A international.

I'm looking forward to watch that first game on Friday. It's good to see so many news faces (or guys who haven't played for a while like Peters) in that game report.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

The CSA seems to be treating this game like a full A international.

I'm looking forward to watch that first game on Friday. It's good to see so many news faces (or guys who haven't played for a while like Peters) in that game report.

Does the high number of subs indicate this wasn't a full A international? I count 7, I thought the limit was 6 for friendlies.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hmmmm....enthusiasm is tempered with De Guzman getting taken off after a foul before the first half. Let's hope he's not injured as that would really suck.

There was no mention of the De Guzman tackle here (probably good news):

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3703

----

Canada beats Guatemala in Gold Cup tune-up

Canada's men's national team played its final preparatory match today before the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Near the culmination of a six-day mini camp in Oxnard, CA, Canada won 3:0 over Guatemala at Oxnard College. It was Canada's second win of the 2009 season.

"We created a fair number of chances and should have been a little more ruthless," said coach Stephen Hart. "Ali (Gerba) took his first goal very well – a diving header. His second goal was a penalty. As for the build up to the goal that Patrice (Bernier) scored, it (was something that) got you off your seat."

Canada opens the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup this Friday 3 July at the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles. The Canada-Jamaica match kicks off at 17.00 PT (20.00 ET) and can be viewed live on Sportsnet Ontario and Sportsnet West.

"We played two strong halves of football," said defender Kevin McKenna, selected Canada's man of the match. "I think we can go positive into the game against Jamaica."

Canada, Jamaica, El Salvador and Costa Rica make up the four-team Group A in the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Group B features Grenada, Haiti, Honduras and USA while Group C features Guadeloupe, Mexico, Nicaragua and Panama.

"Overall, we need to be a little more clinical, a little more composed in the penalty area," said Hart. "We take those chances when they come."

The 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup runs 3-26 July in 13 cities across USA. After the opening match on 3 July, Canada faces El Salvador on 7 July in Columbus, OH and then Costa Rica on 10 July in Miami, FL. All three of Canada's group matches will be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hmmmm....enthusiasm is tempered with De Guzman getting taken off after a foul before the first half. Let's hope he's not injured as that would really suck.

No injury. He is fine

"We created a fair number of chances and should have been a little more ruthless," said coach Stephen Hart.

You gotta love that in a coach. Lets them play, subs in, etc. The previous coach wouldn't

have done that, against pretty much the same squad that tied Mexico.

A positive, like the 2007 friendly against Venezuela.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

"We created a fair number of chances and should have been a little more ruthless," said coach Stephen Hart.

You gotta love that in a coach. Lets them play, subs in, etc. The previous coach wouldn't

have done that, against pretty much the same squad that tied Mexico.

A positive, like the 2007 friendly against Venezuela.

Hart is expectant of his players!

Why do people think nations like Trinidad, El Salvador and Guatemala are in the same league as Canada? If it was on talent alone we would be up at the top of this region! We need to put expectations on this team and it starts with the coaching. Well done Hart

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

GET IN THERE!!

Gerba baby, I'll admit I always doubt the guy but he scores somehow even if he is invisible on the field haha

I know exactly what you mean. I have several times felt myself thinking "what...Gerba?" and then he pots a couple. I guess I'm just not believing that we have that sort of player for Canada. A player who can hide from the opposition and then sting them with a couple of goals. Lucky TFC, I'd say.

On the negative side...What the hell Sportsnet. The gold cup is only on Sportsnet Ontario and West? What's the forking deal with that?! Does anyone have a solution to this problem, other than hurriedly getting my otherwise useless digital box hooked up again. I'm not really wanting to pay extra to get the NFL, Golf, or even more American "news" channels.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Will is playing as an AM for RSL.

Their DM is Kyle Beckerman.

Actually, RSL has recently changed to a 4-2-3-1 (same formation as this CMNT game from what I can tell). Johnson has been playing alongside Beckerman and playing extremely well. He had a great season last year as the left sided of three very narrow mids but had been off form to start this year. As RSL slumped, Kreis changed formation and Johnson responded.

^They were playing a 4-2-3-1 under Mitchell, but we haven't actually seen a game in the new Hart era and I suspect that they've returned to the old 4-1-4-1 that they played under Hart at the Gold Cup in 2007.

Archived