Goodbye CONCACAF CL Coverage on CBC

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It didn't clearly say the CCL was cut. At least I don't have to pay for Blue Jays coverage any longer.

Here's the section:

"In CBC Sports, there will be reductions or cutbacks in coverage of:

* International figure skating.

* CONCACAF Champions League soccer.

* World aquatics.

* World athletics.

* Skiing.

The CBC will also drop its Blue Jays baseball telecasts."

This is poor decision making. If anything, in times of economic hardship, people turn to sports. Football and boxing in the UK during the industrial revolution (hard times, toiling away in factories) were a way for the working masses to relax and be entertained. If anything we will need MORE sports coverage on TV. What are you going to do CBC? Fill those spots with re-runs of Little Mosque on the Prairie???

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

This is poor decision making. If anything, in times of economic hardship, people turn to sports. Football and boxing in the UK during the industrial revolution (hard times, toiling away in factories) were a way for the working masses to relax and be entertained. If anything we will need MORE sports coverage on TV. What are you going to do CBC? Fill those spots with re-runs of Little Mosque on the Prairie???

Is the general consensus that CBC loses or makes money on TFC broadcasts?

Putting together a broadcast is extremely costly, so it doesn't surprise me to see these cuts by the CBC. Each broadcast is about $50,000 (non-HDTV) or $100,000 (HDTV) and with advertising on the decline and mediocore audiences at best - it makes it difficult to justify spending that amount of money.

Granted, the CBC kind of shoots itself in the foot by airing these sporting events LIVE on CBC Bold and then repeated on the main network in the middle of the night. And then people wonder why ratings are down for soccer and figure skating on CBC - you force people to go searching for it and you'll lose your audience.

Due to CBC's decision, I wonder if they'll form some sort of partnership with GolTV where maybe they could share the production costs or split the games where half are on CBC and the other half on GolTV?

I do doubt, however, that CBC will get rid of it completely. They signed that exclusive deal with FIFA so soccer is their biggest sports property (outside of the hockey of course). It would make sense to keep as much of it as they can in order to promote upcoming FIFA events such as the Confederations Cup and next year's 2010 World Cup.

PS - Long time reader, first time poster on this board :D

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

The poor decision making has been the decision of successive Governments to slowly bleed CBC to death rather than either having the 'nades to just put it out of its misery or the 'nades to step up fund it properly.

Personally, there is very little in the sports world that they are cutting that I give a rats ass about aside from the soccer coverage. But rest assured, there are international aquatic fans who are not upset about the loss of CONCACAF Champs League coverage. But such is life when you are a fan of a fringe sport. [sarcasm] Thankfully, I am just as certain as Steven Harper is that if the private networks do not cover it, then it doesn't need to be covered [/sarcasm]

The CBC receives the lowest government subsidy of any public broadcaster in the western industrial world, a situation being exacerbated now by Harper and his cronies in Ottawa for purely ideological reasons (Harper Conservatives despise public radio and TV). Blame the governments we vote into power in Ottawa, write to your member of parliament and make your feelings known. CBC primetime TV with the all Canadian lineup (before the cuts) and CBC radio are enjoying the highest ratings ever right now, indeed CBC TV is outdoing the competition in prime time ratings. 20 million Canadians tune in to CBC TV and radio or visit the CBC websites every week. Long live the CBC.

Star writer thinks CBC will dump Raps & TFC once contract is over

Existing deals with the Raptors and TFC will protect them for now, though considering the low ratings those two produce it's doubtful they'll be around after the contracts expire.

I think CBC will dump the Raps since it appears more like a fill in the gap measure a la the Jays. They aren't doing any Basketball Day in Canada. But with CBC having FIFA tourneys, TFC fits in a bigger picture and rights are probably quite cheap - just need ratings to pick up.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/609147

welcome

quote:Originally posted by Portuguese Sensation

Putting together a broadcast is extremely costly, so it doesn't surprise me to see these cuts by the CBC. Each broadcast is about $50,000 (non-HDTV) or $100,000 (HDTV) and with advertising on the decline and mediocore audiences at best - it makes it difficult to justify spending that amount of money.

Granted, the CBC kind of shoots itself in the foot by airing these sporting events LIVE on CBC Bold and then repeated on the main network in the middle of the night. And then people wonder why ratings are down for soccer and figure skating on CBC - you force people to go searching for it and you'll lose your audience.

Due to CBC's decision, I wonder if they'll form some sort of partnership with GolTV where maybe they could share the production costs or split the games where half are on CBC and the other half on GolTV?

I do doubt, however, that CBC will get rid of it completely. They signed that exclusive deal with FIFA so soccer is their biggest sports property (outside of the hockey of course). It would make sense to keep as much of it as they can in order to promote upcoming FIFA events such as the Confederations Cup and next year's 2010 World Cup.

PS - Long time reader, first time poster on this board :D

I would hate to see the CCL coverage cut from CBC national and only played on CBC Bold. There were a few times when I wasn't able to get to a place that had Bold, and stayed up until midnight instead to watch the match.

Also, Portuguese Sensation, from Saskatoon no less. Good to see more Bridge City footie fans showing up.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

And don't worry Tuscan, I do not forsee the CBC moving their CCL coverage to only CBC Bold. If they're going to cut it, they'll cut it completely from the network. They don't save or lose money by having it on one channel over the other.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them share coverage with either GolTV or Sportsnet.

Oh whoopie! It's good to know that if they do cut it, it'll be gone COMPLETELY! [:P] Hell I'd hate for CBC to have to show any Champions League matches next season, considering they were probably my most looked forward to games of the entire year (aside from MNT TO and Montreal).

Yeah I get what you mean, and honestly if they are going to cut it, I hope they cut it completely so that another network can pick up the entire package for which ever Canadian club represents us this coming competition.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The CBC receives the lowest government subsidy of any public broadcaster in the western industrial world, a situation being exacerbated now by Harper and his cronies in Ottawa for purely ideological reasons (Harper Conservatives despise public radio and TV). Blame the governments we vote into power in Ottawa, write to your member of parliament and make your feelings known. CBC primetime TV with the all Canadian lineup (before the cuts) and CBC radio are enjoying the highest ratings ever right now, indeed CBC TV is outdoing the competition in prime time ratings. 20 million Canadians tune in to CBC TV and radio or visit the CBC websites every week. Long live the CBC.

20 Million/week doesn't cut it in this world.

CBC's rating are shockingly bad, They only have two shows in the top 30. Especially when you take into account that they spend more money on the main tv channel than CanWest Global does on their entire TV operations.

quote:Top Programs – Total Canada (English)

March 16 - 22, 2009

1 HOUSE Global Total M...... 20:00 21:00 2476

2 GREY'S ANATOMY CTV Total ...T... 21:00 22:00 2321

3 AMERICAN IDOL 8 AP CTV Total .T..... 20:00 22:00 2128

4 AMERICAN IDOL 8 AR CTV Total ..W.... 21:00 22:02 2110

5 AMAZING RACE 14 CTV Total ......S 20:00 21:00 1943

6 C.S.I. NEW YORK CTV Total ..W.... 22:02 23:00 1932

7 C.S.I. MIAMI CTV Total M...... 22:00 23:00 1908

8 DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES CTV Total ......S 21:00 22:01 1789

9 ER CTV Total ...T... 22:00 23:00 1787

10 CRIMINAL MINDS CTV Total ..W.... 20:00 21:00 1759

11 TWO AND A HALF MEN CTV Total M...... 21:00 21:31 1724

12 LAW AND ORDER:SVU CTV Total .T..... 22:00 23:00 1567

13 BONES Global Total ...T... 20:00 21:00 1552

14 NCIS Global Total .T..... 20:00 21:00 1501

15 CTV EVENING NEWS CTV Total MTWTF.. 18:00 19:00 1367

16 H.N.I.C. GAME #1 CBC Total .....S. 19:06 22:03 1274

17 24 Global Total M...... 21:00 22:00 1248

18 CORNER GAS CTV Total M...... 21:31 22:00 1195

19 C.S.I. CTV Total ...T... 20:00 21:00 1193

20 FAMILY GUY Global Total ......S 21:00 21:30 1192

21 C.S.I. CTV Total ....F.. 21:00 22:00 1175

22 CTV EVENING NEWS WKD CTV Total .....SS 18:00 19:00 1154

23 SIMPSONS Global Total ......S 20:00 20:30 1142

24 CRIMINAL MINDS CTV Total ....F.. 20:00 21:00 1064

25 THE MENTALIST CTV Total ......S 22:01 23:00 1061

26 C.S.I. CTV Total ....F.. 22:00 23:00 1029

27 CTV NATIONAL NEWS CTV Total MTWTFSS 23:00 23:30 1004

28 AMERICAN DAD Global Total ......S 21:30 22:00 968

29 JEOPARDY CBC Total MTWTF.. 19:30 20:00 961

30 DANCING/STARS 8 PERF 'A' Total M...... 20:00 22:02 930

^Interesting list. But it's just a statistic.

So "House" and "Grey's Anatomy" are 1-2. Interesting because the production budgets of each</u> show individually likely exceeds what Global and CTV spend as networks</u> for domestic original programing. Outside of sports & news that is.

Shrug. Big surprise. Canadians want quality programing. Global and CTV, unlike the CBC, aren't mandated to showcase Canadian talent. They're mandated to make money and follow the path of greatest economy.

CBC ratings will always pay the price for being forced to do too much with too little.

P.S. English Canada has long needed to take a page from Quebec and realize that financing "culture" (whatever that is), even in competition with private for-profit enterprise, is too important an issue to concede to the all mighty buck.

P.S.S. Is Global still around?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

So "House" and "Grey's Anatomy" are 1-2. Interesting because the production budgets of each</u> show individually likely exceeds what Global and CTV spend as networks</u> for domestic original programing. Outside of sports & news that is.

Global has been getting into the documentary side things in recent years. Low-cost production with a greater return. Money doesn't matter if you can spend it correctly. The cancellations from last season were blamed in part on the Leafs not making the playoffs.

quote:Originally posted by CheetaShrug. Big surprise. Canadians want quality programing. Global and CTV, unlike the CBC, aren't mandated to showcase Canadian talent. They're mandated to make money and follow the path of greatest economy.

CBC ratings will always pay the price for being forced to do too much with too little.

Global and CTV have spent huge amounts of money on domestic programs. Hard to find a succesful formula when the ideas of a pan-Canadian show don't fly well.

quote:Originally posted by CheetaP.S. English Canada has long needed to take a page from Quebec and realize that financing "culture" (whatever that is), even in competition with private for-profit enterprise, is too important an issue to concede to the all mighty buck.

Yet if you look at Radio-Canada, its works aren't that impressive when it comes to the production value. They don't need the big raitings to make it work since they are serving a very restricted market. The english side have tried the pan-Canadian idea in order to sell their goods to international distributors.

The CBC used to have excellent region programming until someone decided to make the network Toronto-centric.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

P.S.S. Is Global still around?

They are. Their state is a far more concern to peeople than the CBC.

CBC is full of foreign content itself. Just look at their schedule, Martha Stewart, The Simpson, Wheel of Fortune, Coronation Street, Jeopardy. The later is the only program on the Network other than hockey to get into the top 30.

If you look at the list the only CTV has a lot more Canadian content than CBC. Their news programs are in there three times, as is the only 'Canadian' sitcom 'Corner Gas'. I have looked at the ratings in previous weeks and the ratings for “Canadain Idol” and other uk reality show copies are always very good (Top 15) when they are on.

To me it seems that CBC's problem isn't that forced to do anything, its that they know that they cannot fail. I would expect those that make decisions at CTV and Global are a lot more vested than those at the CBC who know they will always have the government fat.

Archived