TFC Signs Argentine striker Pablo Vitti

VPjr

Kind of a glut at forward, though. I guess the competition is good, but some of these guys are going to have sore butts from sitting on the bench so much:

Barrett, Dichio, Hall, Ibrahim, Vitti, White

And trying to fit DeRo into the midfield, I was wondering if they'd play with only one forward. Guess not.

datails from tsn.ca

TORONTO - Toronto FC signed Argentine forward Pablo Vitti to a loan deal Monday.

Vitti, 23, comes from FC Chernomorets Odessa of the Ukrainian Premier League, where he was on loan from Independiente of Argentina.

He appeared in Toronto on July 15 when Independiente faced Toronto FC in an exhibition game at BMO Field. Vitti scored the game's lone goal in the 68th minute.

''We've kept tabs on him since he played here in the summer,'' Mo Johnston, Toronto's manager, director of soccer, said in a statement. ''We actually made him an offer after that game, but it was refused at that time.

''MLS can be a difficult league for players to adjust to straight away so we are pleased that we could secure this loan deal now to allow Pablo time to adjust and settle in through a proper pre-season.''

Vitti's best season was in 2004-'05 when he played for his hometown club Rosario Central and scored eight goals in 29 games.

Vitti was a member of the Argentina under-20 squad that beat Nigeria for the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship title.

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

Kind of a glut at forward, though. I guess the competition is good, but some of these guys are going to have sore butts from sitting on the bench so much:

And trying to fit DeRo into the midfield, I was wondering if they'd play with only one forward. Guess not.

Well TFC did have a little bit of a scoring problem though last year, and the year before. They need a solid forward who is a proven goal scorer. Before the start of the season I said TFC needed a forward, a creative midfielder and a centre back. Mo's done well and got 2/3 now he only needs that centre back.

Kyle Hall isn't really a striker though - he's more of a winger & would be competion for the likes of Johann Smith.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Vitti is a mistake. Barrett is far superior.

Little early to say that don't you think ? We realistically have no idea how this guy will do and we've seen nothing of him other than he managed to give our 2nd choice players fits in the friendly.

Barrett had a good half season with TFC but his rap as a MLS player has always been that he's wasteful with chances and can't last a whole 90.

They'll play barrett as something closer to a target and Vitti will play the support role. So they aren't exactly in competition but they will have to find a place on the field.

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

Yea Vitti doesnt have any kind of major crediantials but comeon he will be our number striker the guy has been playing in the Aregentian league and now he will be in the MLS (the runt of premier leagues)

Vitti will have success at the MLS level because its the MLS.

That's what everyone said about Rohan Ricketts, Andy Welsh, Carl Robinson, Danny Dichio, Laurent Robert and ever player with premiership experience that's come here.... yet somehow these god like creatures that have played in leagues apparently 10 gazillion times better than MLS couldn't dominate and often struggled.

this isnt an English 3rd division who is over the hill

this is a Argentian premier player who is only 23

all the players you mention were English league one stars no where near Premiership maybe they all played a game or 2 at some relegated club

This is a player from South American leagues not crappy 3rd divison europe league ever watch MLS team go up against South American clubs its an embarrisng moment for the MLS.

the thing is, vitti has had a horrible past 2 years. he has had no playing time with a mid table team in argentina. indep. is no better than TFC. he only saw the field 6 times when he was loaned out. not good.

this signing reeks of laziness/ignorance on the part of mo. he signed the one south american striker who happened to have a good game in his backyard. i watch my fair share of south american soccer, and my god there are so many better players out there its not funny. but none of them want to come to MLS bc there are bigger football challenges to be had in south america.

no kidding vitti is here, because he knows he is not going anywhere in argentina or europe. anyways i wish the kid luck. i hope im wrong.

Barrett = Starter. Good age and talent. 60 min per game.

Dichio = 60 min per game. Good but getting old. Will need to rest more.

Ibrahim = Young but explosive. Sub once the other defense is tired. 30 minutes a game.

Vitti = Not too young or old and great to pressure everyone. 30+ per game.

Hall/White = Subs and injury fill in.

Looks like a 4-4-2 in the making. Now about that CD (or two!)

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

the thing is, vitti has had a horrible past 2 years. he has had no playing time with a mid table team in argentina. indep. is no better than TFC. he only saw the field 6 times when he was loaned out. not good.

this signing reeks of laziness/ignorance on the part of mo. he signed the one south american striker who happened to have a good game in his backyard. i watch my fair share of south american soccer, and my god there are so many better players out there its not funny. but none of them want to come to MLS bc there are bigger football challenges to be had in south america.

no kidding vitti is here, because he knows he is not going anywhere in argentina or europe. anyways i wish the kid luck. i hope im wrong.

Sorry friend, but if you think independiente is no better than TFC you could not be more wrong. They took their youth team to toronto + Vitti and they ole'd our backups (and some starters) for 90 minutes. The first team would crush any side in MLS pretty easily.

Clubs like this produce players non-stop. So much so, that guys in their early 20's like vitti instantly become surplus when they hit a downturn.

Now does this look a little lazy on Mo's part? Ya it just might. But there have been much better guys who have come out of much smaller clubs to MLS. The list is quite long, what petigree does a guy need to be successful in MLS or launch a turnaround, not exactly clear but our league is a collection of marginal players. Basically somebody has to rise to the top. There aren`t many guys with top (or even really middle of the road) talent that want to come play in the league.

well I have watched him play live in the Ukraine.

and whatever you want to think TFC has some kind of plethora of Striker talent you need to get your head out of them clouds.

Vitti will find his spot as our second striker I can almost garauntee it. Barret and Vitti will be the 1 and 2 striker for this upcoming season with Dichio comign of the bench for last second surges.

all the players you mention were English league one stars no where near Premiership maybe they all played a game or 2 at some relegated club

This is a player from South American leagues not crappy 3rd divison europe league ever watch MLS team go up against South American clubs its an embarrisng moment for the MLS.

Let me clarify...

Rohan Ricketts is 25 and used to be a first team regular for Spurs where he won two player of the month awards.

Robert played for Benfica, PSG and 5 years at Newcastle when they were regularly in the Champions League on top of winning 9 caps for France.

Robinson played in the prem with Sunderland and is still to this day a first choice starter for Wales.

Dichio played with Klinsmann and Veron at Sampdoria and had several stints in the prem.

You have no clue really man. MLS teams beat Mexican teams frequently and the Mexican league is better than any South American league widely considered the best league outside of Europe.

Don`t fool yourself Keegan, MFL clubs field nothing close to a regular roster to play MLS teams in CCL or Superliga. Quick analysis of an earlier Pachuca team that played an MLS side earlier this year (think it was New England) revealed they played 2 first choice players from regular league play. I know the MLS teams can only play who is in front of them but if you looked at some of the standard of play you see regularly in MFL and compared it to MLS ... well put it this way ... when`s the last time you saw something like this in MLS... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjPOHxcI3w .

In terms of talent, well Brazil and Argentina speak for themselves. The guys you see on top teams down there are the big name targets for the european super clubs and the mid-range guys often sell for a couple million to other european teams + leagues (Portugal, France, Holland, etc...). Mexico has the most money in the hemisphere but not necessarily the best talent.

Generally, I applaud Mo for at least going after some younger talent. While I have no clue about this guy, I think it is important for MLS teams to get players on the way up rather than on the way down. Having said that, these kinds of players can be had without a loan deal.

Both the Argentinian league and the Brazilian league are better than the Mexican league. Evidence is in the Libertadores tournament. In fact, many of the Brazilians that play in Mexico are coming from levels below Serie A in Brazil or cannot find a regular place in Serie A.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

You have no clue really man. MLS teams beat Mexican teams frequently and the Mexican league is better than any South American league widely considered the best league outside of Europe.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Sorry friend, but if you think independiente is no better than TFC you could not be more wrong. They took their youth team to toronto + Vitti and they ole'd our backups (and some starters) for 90 minutes. The first team would crush any side in MLS pretty easily.

Clubs like this produce players non-stop. So much so, that guys in their early 20's like vitti instantly become surplus when they hit a downturn.

Now does this look a little lazy on Mo's part? Ya it just might. But there have been much better guys who have come out of much smaller clubs to MLS. The list is quite long, what petigree does a guy need to be successful in MLS or launch a turnaround, not exactly clear but our league is a collection of marginal players. Basically somebody has to rise to the top. There aren`t many guys with top (or even really middle of the road) talent that want to come play in the league.

Independiente would not crush any MLS team. I think you might be overrating argentinian club soccer generally. Independiente is not a top club in Arg, they are mid table at best. they have not made the Libertadores in years. I'd say Independiente is a top 6 MLS side. IF he had been successful there I'd say Vitti was going to tear the MLS up, but he was a flop. And as we all know, if you are loaned out, and your loan club benches you, that is A REALLY BAD SIGN. I can only hope he bounces back to the form he showed as a teen, bc at one point he was a rising star.

Generally, mexican teams are not good. the top teams in south america are the absolute best in the world, competitive with the ManUs and Barcas. Mexican teams are no where near that level.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Keegan

you are totally off your rocker.

The Argentinian and Brazilian premier leagues are HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than Mexico's top league.

Argentina and Brazil can sell off top young players every year, restock the shelves with ease and consistently be the only real threat to EUFA powerhouses at the FIFA club world cup.

Mexico is a pretty average league. Better than MLS but average.

Archived