TFC Signs Argentine striker Pablo Vitti

VPjr

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Keegan

you are totally off your rocker.

The Argentinian and Brazilian premier leagues are HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than Mexico's top league.

Argentina and Brazil can sell off top young players every year, restock the shelves with ease and consistently be the only real threat to EUFA powerhouses at the FIFA club world cup.

Mexico is a pretty average league. Better than MLS but average.

Hey don't take it from me take it from the experts. The Mexican league is class and no way can you call Argentinian and Brazilian leagues head an shoulders above them. All three are very close and just because Argentina and Brazil sell off more young talent does not make them better leagues. They are Argentina and Brazil ffs of course they are going to sell off young talent.

I remember reading something a couple of years back that was arguing that the Mexican league is now the best in the Americas as it has much more money than the South American leagues. That many of the better Brazilians that don't go over seas play in Mexico because they can make more money at home. I am not sure that still applies; and I certainly am in no position to make the case myself.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Who are those experts? The only existing evidence for comparative purposes is the World club championships. South American sides have made it to every final. The mexican sides have not ever made it to the finals. No MLS side has ever qualified for this event.

http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/tournament=107/index.html

Another source of value: Copa Libertadores results.

One Mexican club made it to the finals. That was Cruz Azul in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Libertadores#History

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I remember reading something a couple of years back that was arguing that the Mexican league is now the best in the Americas as it has much more money than the South American leagues. That many of the better Brazilians that don't go over seas play in Mexico because they can make more money at home. I am not sure that still applies; and I certainly am in no position to make the case myself.

I recall reading ths same thing. But somehow I think that it was the older players that were opting for Mexican clubs.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I recall reading ths same thing. But somehow I think that it was the older players that were opting for Mexican clubs.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Hey don't take it from me take it from the experts. The Mexican league is class and no way can you call Argentinian and Brazilian leagues head an shoulders above them. All three are very close and just because Argentina and Brazil sell off more young talent does not make them better leagues. They are Argentina and Brazil ffs of course they are going to sell off young talent.

Find me an expert that puts Mexico's top league in the same class as Brazil's or Argentina's and I'll show you an expert that is not worthy of the title.

Talk to players and ask them which leagues are the best. Every player I've spoken to ranks Argentina as one of the Top 5 leagues in the world.

On the field I'd say Mexico's league is lagging, but economically it is the strongest league in the Americas. It generates the highest revenues and pays the highest salaries with the top players earning 7 figures and clubs regularly PAYING 7 figure transfer fees. This is why the Mexican league is an importer of talent. You'll notice that very few Mexicans go to Europe and the ones that do are generally playing for clubs that can outpay the Mexican league (i.e. Barca, Spurs, Stuttgart, PSV, Depor). Meanwhile, even average Brazilians and Argentinians go abroad for a better paycheque. However, the Mexican league doesn't perform as well internationally for several reasons. Firstly, import restrictions help reserve the top salaries for mexicans while imports try a lot of funny business (i.e. marrying mexicans) to count as a domestic. Secondly, Mexico doesn't produce the hoards of young talent that Argentina and Brazil do. Thirdly, There's far more parity in Mexico than in Brazil and Argentina. Despite Chivas and America being the "big clubs" they are far from dominant and often miss the playoffs. The best Argentinian and Brazilian clubs dominate domestically and dominate the Copa Libertadores.

I can barely even read some of this retardation saying the MLS is comparable to the Argentian league wich is just a joke and a bad one too.

We are talking about argentina arguably the best soccer nation on the planet. And you think the MLS and TFC compares to there league and clubs. As you can see I smoke a lot of pot but my god you guys need to lay off cause its distorting your view on reality

I'm not sure how you define parity. Corinthians is considered the second largest club in Brazil by fan support. Last year, they competed in Serie B. In 2009, three former national champions will be playing in Serie B including Vasco da Gama and three traditional powerhouses were less than two points from relegation to Serie B in 2009(Santos, Fluminense and Clube Atletico Paranaense). In the last ten years, various traditional top ten clubs have spent time in Serie B.

Also with the economic development of Brazil in recent years, the league has been strengthening. Some clubs have enormous debts still but others like Sao Paulo FC, Internacional, and Palmeiras can pay reasonable wages. And with the economic recession in Europe, many players are choosing to stay in Brazil.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

On the field I'd say Mexico's league is lagging, but economically it is the strongest league in the Americas. It generates the highest revenues and pays the highest salaries with the top players earning 7 figures and clubs regularly PAYING 7 figure transfer fees. This is why the Mexican league is an importer of talent. You'll notice that very few Mexicans go to Europe and the ones that do are generally playing for clubs that can outpay the Mexican league (i.e. Barca, Spurs, Stuttgart, PSV, Depor). Meanwhile, even average Brazilians and Argentinians go abroad for a better paycheque. However, the Mexican league doesn't perform as well internationally for several reasons. Firstly, import restrictions help reserve the top salaries for mexicans while imports try a lot of funny business (i.e. marrying mexicans) to count as a domestic. Secondly, Mexico doesn't produce the hoards of young talent that Argentina and Brazil do. Thirdly, There's far more parity in Mexico than in Brazil and Argentina. Despite Chivas and America being the "big clubs" they are far from dominant and often miss the playoffs. The best Argentinian and Brazilian clubs dominate domestically and dominate the Copa Libertadores.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Independiente would not crush any MLS team. I think you might be overrating argentinian club soccer generally. Independiente is not a top club in Arg, they are mid table at best. they have not made the Libertadores in years. I'd say Independiente is a top 6 MLS side. IF he had been successful there I'd say Vitti was going to tear the MLS up, but he was a flop. And as we all know, if you are loaned out, and your loan club benches you, that is A REALLY BAD SIGN. I can only hope he bounces back to the form he showed as a teen, bc at one point he was a rising star.

The math in that equation simply does not add up. Look at the average profile of an Argentine MLS player that comes to MLS and IS successful.

Javier Morales - played in the canary islands, couldn't hold down a spot anymore with any clubs in Argentina.

Juan Toja - was a scub on River Plates bench who everyone wrote off because he had no right foot.

Pablo Ricchetti - couldn't win a spot on 2nd division teams in argentina and Mexico after he ruturned from europe in his late 20's.

These guys were / are stars in MLS and they couldn't do anything in Argentina. The vast majority of guys who come to MLS from better leagues have profiles pretty similar to Vitti. Now plenty of people have come with those creditials and failed, but the point is that his profile doesn't make him any less likely to be successful than the average signing.

I like MLS, watched more of it (even outside of TFC) than any other league last year. But accept if for what it is. It's certainly not capible of competeting with clubs that have basically infinate resources in terms of player developement and churn out talent like it's nothing. The reserve team they put against Toronto FC last summer could finish top half in this league, their first team would run the table easily.

Pachuca won the Copa Sudamerica in 2005 yes? Also you need to remember Mexican clubs are WAY too busy to expect them to win everything. Playing Superliga, CCL, Mexican League, Sudamerica, Libertadores, Club World Championships..... that is a LOT of football and B squads need to play a lot of those games.

^ Pachuca did win CS in 2005. that was quite a good squad.

Mexico has some good teams and the Primera has some enviable financial resources at their disposal but don't overestimate Mexican club football. Its good, even very good, but the quality is a full step behind the real powerhouses on this side of the Atlantic. Argentina and Brazil are the big boys and Mexico is solidly 3rd but its a significant step down

The fact that someone is even comparing the MLS to top Argentinian teams makes me laugh.

Who is the current MLS MVP? El Guille had to move from Boca Juniors because he was not playing and was offered a kind of money from MLS that he could not get in Argentina because of his age. He is a idol among Boca fans though.

The rest of South American players in the MLS are unknown on 1st Division back in their countries, with the exception of J.P. Angel.

Just a couple years ago with Independiente was playing someone called Sergio Aguero. It is not like this club produces this kind of players every year but the MLS (not even TFC) produces Altidores and Donovans that hardly ever play on elite European teams.

For TFC fans lets just wait what Vitti can bring to the team and then analyze and comment.

Archived