How many tickets sold for the Big O???

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

4 to 5 thousand mexicans for Atlante??

In Cancun maybe, at Saputo, never. I'd be surprised if they were 1,000.

There were a ton of Mexicans at that game especially the south stand. As we know the usual Impact family/soccer team discount ticket fans did not show up for the Champions League games with the exception of the Real Esteli game that was included in the season tickets. How else do you explain the difference in attendance between the group stage games:

vs. Joe Public 7 631

vs. Atlante 12 187

vs. Olimpia 8 961

You don't think that the fact that the Impact have marketed this game as Mexico vs Montreal will change anything? I remember reading articles saying the Impact were looking to market this game to latinos in Canada and in NE USA. Now if they have remained true to their word or not is a different story. Hopefully Quebecers are just really pumped for this game and its the beginning of something special for footy in Montreal.

I will say this however, people are overplaying the "EMSB 6$ ticket giveaway" card. This game has a life of its own now, getting press on the team 990 and several newspapers. This just might be the start of something good in terms of footy friendly media relationship in not just Montreal but perhaps the rest of Canada soon enough.

Now here's hoping we have 1000 singing and jumping Quebecers in the kop come match time :D

Wouldn't it just suck to walk in to the Big O and find out the hard way that, unbeknownst to us, the match has become the place to be for all NE, QC, and ON-based Mexicans and two thirds of the stadium is decked out in green?

Just saying.

I really, really have high hopes though that it's Montrealers finally waking up to the Impact.

Mpenza, there was more than a thousand mexicans at the Atlante game that's for sure. Remember the "ole"s ? I'd say they were atleast 2,500...and there were also a good bunch of latinos from other countries probably not rooting for any team.

As for our three group stage home games, weather was a big factor. I remember that it was raining alot just before & at the beginning of the games against Joe P. & Olimpia.

I can't see how there could be more than 15,000 Mexicans. There's only 12 000 mexicans in Montreal...no way they all come to the game, and I don't think there's gonna be that much away support for them. It's a middle-of-the-week game, and Santos Laguna isn't the most prestigious Mexican club.

Considering we'll probably hit 40 to 50 thousand, we'll be the majority.

Anyways, I hope I'm right.

Only thing that bothers me is I wonder if Montrealers will wear their team's colors or just random colors...(I hate that!)

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Wouldn't it just suck to walk in to the Big O and find out the hard way that, unbeknownst to us, the match has become the place to be for all NE, QC, and ON-based Mexicans and two thirds of the stadium is decked out in green?

Just saying.

I really, really have high hopes though that it's Montrealers finally waking up to the Impact.

I can't see that happening. It could happen if it were PUMAS, Chivas, Cruz Azul or Club America but I can't see many Mexicans travelling from out of town for Santos Laguna. The majority of the crowd probably won't be hardcore soccer fans but I think they will be pro-Montreal. They are not only selling tickets to schoolkids, there are a lot of group sales to large companies who are selling them to their employees. Still there is a lot of interest in the game and I think there are a lot of individual sales in addition to group sales. This is the first Impact game I can remember that people are mentioning it to me instead of me asking them if they are going to the game and getting a reply like, "I didn't know there was a game."

Well during the Grey Cup and East Final (CFL), temperature wasn't really an issue. Not enough to have myself bundled up alteast... If anything I think playing on turf might be an issue for Santos, where as Montreal has played on turf before in the USL.

While it won't be +30 in the Big O, the temperature won't be at a level where it'll cause discomfort IMO

quote:Originally posted by mtl-supporter23

Well during the Grey Cup and East Final (CFL), temperature wasn't really an issue. Not enough to have myself bundled up alteast... If anything I think playing on turf might be an issue for Santos, where as Montreal has played on turf before in the USL.

While it won't be +30 in the Big O, the temperature won't be at a level where it'll cause discomfort IMO

Were you at the Esteli or Joe Public games? Their players were wearing gloves at the end of August/early September. Joe Public's coach was wearing a parka. For the Mexicans Olympic stadium will be cold.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

Won't the presence of a large crowd be enough to heat up the Big O? Tens of thousands of people give off a lot of heat.

Depends how cold it is outside. I saw a Grey Cup there years ago and it was freezing, everyone was cold even with their parkas on. The temperature wasn't that cold for this year's Grey Cup.

These are questions about what to expect for the atmosphere of the game. For the Impact's previous big-ticket (defined as large-drawing games) events, what has the atmosphere been like? What should every one who is going expect when it comes to the crowd's reactions (energy, noisiness, etc...), music during the game, and any other things related to the big-ticket event? Does anyone think the "wear blue" strategy will actually work with the general public? Will CONCACAF Champions League patches finally be available for the jerseys?? (ok this last one I am particularly concerned about!)

I didn't think of it, but in taking in account of the general temperature of Montreal in February, and assuming the seats fill up like the ticket sales say they should, what kind of temperature inside the stadium should we expect? Jerseys over long-sleeve shirts or everyone in jackets? Will the Mexican crowd be particularly large due to the game being marketed more as the Impact vs. Mexico (based on the way the game ad displayed it)?

And for the most important question: Will a loss hurt the Impact's image detrimentally for future game sales?

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

These are questions about what to expect for the atmosphere of the game. For the Impact's previous big-ticket (defined as large-drawing games) events, what has the atmosphere been like? What should every one who is going expect when it comes to the crowd's reactions (energy, noisiness, etc...), music during the game, and any other things related to the big-ticket event? Does anyone think the "wear blue" strategy will actually work with the general public? Will CONCACAF Champions League patches finally be available for the jerseys?? (ok this last one I am particularly concerned about!)

I didn't think of it, but in taking in account of the general temperature of Montreal in February, and assuming the seats fill up like the ticket sales say they should, what kind of temperature inside the stadium should we expect? Jerseys over long-sleeve shirts or everyone in jackets? Will the Mexican crowd be particularly large due to the game being marketed more as the Impact vs. Mexico (based on the way the game ad displayed it)?

And for the most important question: Will a loss hurt the Impact's image detrimentally for future game sales?

Your written report is being typed up as we speak [:P]....

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Were you at the Esteli or Joe Public games? Their players were wearing gloves at the end of August/early September. Joe Public's coach was wearing a parka. For the Mexicans Olympic stadium will be cold.

I was and it was quite the hilarious sight. You're right, Olympic Stadium will deffinetly not be what their used to. What would be interesting is that Santos probably won't be arriving early for the match, perhaps the day before seeing they have a game vs Monterrey on Sunday prior to the CCL QF. Just staying in the Montreal conditions will have some sort of impact on them.

the mexicans will think it'll be nice and warm in the big o because it is indoor. maybe they won even bring gloves or long sleeve kits. hopefully they wont be allowed to practice in it before the game and will only realize how damn cold it will be until game day.

its likely that 90% of the players on santos-laguna have never experienced below zero weather. this will be interesting.

What will the temp be inside? 5c? 7c? 0c?

No matter what, for anyone that comes from the tropical zone, that's cold!

They'll be wearing gloves, extra shirts, and touques/hats.

I remember being in St. Louis when the temp was 12c and the locals were wearing

down-filled coats. Ah wimps ... ;)

Archived