How many tickets sold for the Big O???

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

For the Impact's previous big-ticket (defined as large-drawing games) events, what has the atmosphere been like?

I hope you realize we have NEVER had anything even remotely close to a game drawing 40K-50K.

Our record was something like 14K...

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only other event that was talked about and hyped up in the mainstream media and such was the opener at Saputo. The general atmosphere was tentative but cheerful, with non-Ultras fans getting a bit into it towards the end. It will be interesting to see if it's a similar mix of mainly people new to the club and even the sport, or if it represents a large amount of people who have been to a few games at Saputo, who are more likely to "get" the atmosphere a bit more.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I can't see that happening. It could happen if it were PUMAS, Chivas, Cruz Azul or Club America but I can't see many Mexicans travelling from out of town for Santos Laguna. The majority of the crowd probably won't be hardcore soccer fans but I think they will be pro-Montreal. They are not only selling tickets to schoolkids, there are a lot of group sales to large companies who are selling them to their employees. Still there is a lot of interest in the game and I think there are a lot of individual sales in addition to group sales. This is the first Impact game I can remember that people are mentioning it to me instead of me asking them if they are going to the game and getting a reply like, "I didn't know there was a game."

Yeah, hope so!

quote: They are not only selling tickets to schoolkids, there are a lot of group sales to large companies who are selling them to their employees.

So they have been distributed, rather than sold?

Company X agrees to offer X amount of tickets to its employees at $6 per person. At the end of a set period of time the unsold tickets go back to the Impact for re-sale at regular prices.

Are you sure that 35,000 individuals in Montreal have tickets?

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

So they have been distributed, rather than sold?

Company X agrees to offer X amount of tickets to its employees at $6 per person. At the end of a set period of time the unsold tickets go back to the Impact for re-sale at regular prices.

Are you sure that 35,000 individuals in Montreal have tickets?

You seem very hell bent on somehow proving that there is not that much interest in this game....

quote:Originally posted by Keano

The only other event that was talked about and hyped up in the mainstream media and such was the opener at Saputo. The general atmosphere was tentative but cheerful, with non-Ultras fans getting a bit into it towards the end.

Towards the end, the stadium was empty.

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

You seem very hell bent on somehow proving that there is not that much interest in this game....

No, I'm hell-bent on finding out whether the Impact are talking out of their ass. If they are creating a false scarcity for the game to try and build the hype (a pretty common marketing technique - have you ever stood in line for an hour to get into a hot club only to find out that it's half-empty inside), then it's you folks that lose out. Those tickets that are being held either won't get sold or they will be re-sold to those more interested in the visitors. And the atmosphere will suck and the Impact will look bad. People aren't blind. They will know if there are actually 35,000 people there.

You said it yourself. The highest attendance for an Impact game prior to this has been about 14,000. And we all know Montreal papers the house. It's, um, intriguing that interest has more than doubled in three months - especially when so few people bothered to watch the CCL games in the fall.

If they have sold the tickets, good for them. But, do we know that they have? Do we really know?

No, I'm hell-bent on finding out whether the Impact are talking out of their ass. If they are creating a false scarcity for the game to try and build the hype (a pretty common marketing technique - have you ever stood in line for an hour to get into a hot club only to find out that it's half-empty inside), then it's you folks that lose out. Those tickets that are being held either won't get sold or they will be re-sold to those more interested in the visitors. And the atmosphere will suck and the Impact will look bad. People aren't blind. They will know if there are actually 35,000 people there.

You said it yourself. The highest attendance for an Impact game prior to this has been about 14,000. And we all know Montreal papers the house. It's, um, intriguing that interest has more than doubled in three months - especially when so few people bothered to watch the CCL games in the fall.

If they have sold the tickets, good for them. But, do we know that they have? Do we really know?

Since you are hell bent on finding out if the Impact is talking out of their ass, if you find out please let me know...The previous highest attendance for an Impact game was indeed 13 648 for the A-League final in Claude-Robillard and i'm sure they would have sold more tickets if the capacity of the stadium was larger and i really doubt they had to "paper the house" for this game as it was a big event...

This CCL quarter-final is, in my humble opinion, an even bigger game then that one and has generated a lot of interest in Montreal. It has been talked about extensively in the papers and on TV and radio and a lot of people who don't regularly follow soccer are taking notice. There were some tickets distributed to kids in high schools but they are being sold for 6$ not "given away". You are making it sound as if they are "distributing" 20 000 tickets here or something which is not the case. The buzz surrounding this game in town is very much present and it will be well attended.

I don't know if the Impact have actually sold 35k tickets or if some have been given away or discounted. I dont trust anything that Richard Legendre is directly or indirectly associated with. What I do know, is that Interest for the game can easily have doubled or even tripled, considering that it is a quarterfinal game of the champions league, and more importantly, the Game is being played at the Big O in the middle of winter, making this a unique event. The Montreal Alouettes frequently use the Big O for play off games, and have always managed great turnouts.

As far as temperature is concerned in the Big O, people have nothing to worry about, I remember reading that ventalation system does allow for heating, having attended many a Auto Show, I can attest that it was never uncomfortable.

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

[

Since you are hell bent on finding out if the Impact is talking out of their ass, if you find out please let me know..

Well, I *have* asked them how many are sold to individuals and how many are part of group sales. The idea being that I will report what I found out.

I'm sceptical. That's all. I don't rule out the possibility that I'm wrong.

It is good to know that despite most of the fans of our rivals being happy about the success of this game there are still a few guys like you and Morbital who are jealous and negative about this game.

As others have mentioned the schoolkids tickets are not free but offered at $6 per person which is $1 more than the usual ticket price for kids at Impact games. The group sales to adults through companies works like this (one of my adult students is his company's social organizer): The tickets are being offered to the company at regular price but without the service charges which between Admission and the Olympic Stadium's take are quite expensive, a $10 ticket is roughly $16 with the service charges. At my friend's company the employees are buying the tickets for $5 because his company is paying the other $5. I don't know if all the company's are paying for half the price but I am sure most are subsidizing the cost to some extent as a nice employee benefit. From what I understand the Impact is not providing excess tickets to the companies. Rather the companies social organizer tells the club how many tickets they need.

Obviously there is the possibility when tickets are sold at low prices that some people won't show up especially if it is very cold. However, they weren't going to sell a lot of tickets if the offered them at Grey Cup prices. If we sell out this game and make the semi-final, maybe they will raise the prices a bit for the next game. However, I think they have followed the right strategy for this one. I am in regular contact with the guy in charge of ticket sales at the Impact and he has been telling me that they have a constant stream of people buying tickets at their box office. I think we will find that the number of people who have bought tickets on their own and not through a company or school will also be pretty impressive.

Scepticism isn't negativity. But, that's a distinction that gets lost on lots of people.

Yes but there are ways of asking questions that imply you are a impassive, neutral observer and ways of asking questions that imply you are biased and/or sceptical and hoping to be proved right.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Yes but there are ways of asking questions that imply you are a impassive, neutral observer and ways of asking questions that imply you are biased and/or sceptical and hoping to be proved right.

My question is simply this: How many tickets are in the hands of individuals?

If you want to see bias and agenda with me there likely isn't anything I can do to change your mind. I’m not sure what I “gain” by being “right,” but whatever...

My question is simply this: How many tickets are in the hands of individuals?

If you want to see bias and agenda with me there likely isn't anything I can do to change your mind. I�m not sure what I �gain� by being �right,� but whatever...

Why is this so important to you?

Is it because you can't complain about the washrooms at the Big O?

There. I got an answer from the club.

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/02/maybe-cigar-is-cigar.html

For the record, this was the question I asked:

In the last press release you indicated that you had sold 35,000 seats. Have all of those tickets been sold to individuals (i.e. have 35,000 individuals bought tickets), or is it a reflection of the total amount of tickets distributed as part of group sales (I.e. the school boards/companies have the tickets and they are re-selling them to their students/employees).

How confident are you that there will be 35,000+ fans there and how confident are you that the crowd will be mostly supporting Montreal?

There. I got an answer from the club.

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/02/maybe-cigar-is-cigar.html

For the record, this was the question I asked:

In the last press release you indicated that you had sold 35,000 seats. Have all of those tickets been sold to individuals (i.e. have 35,000 individuals bought tickets), or is it a reflection of the total amount of tickets distributed as part of group sales (I.e. the school boards/companies have the tickets and they are re-selling them to their students/employees).

How confident are you that there will be 35,000+ fans there and how confident are you that the crowd will be mostly supporting Montreal?

I'm glad you cleared up your own confusion. :D

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I'm glad you cleared up your own confusion. :D

Well, all he said was that all the tickets had been paid for. He did not indicate whether 35,000 individuals had made 35,000 separate decisions to individual buy tickets.

We'll see on the 25th how many show up. I hope for your sake that it's a big, involved turnout.

Archived