TFC cuts a couple of young Canucks

VPjr

Joey Melo was a weird story. A young, local player that most people never heard of and had never been in the youth national team picture up to that point (as far as I recall) signs for TFC. He plays in their innaugual year raising the hopes of all the fans that he may be one to watch in the future, then disappears into obscurity in year 2. Back to where he came from I guess.

Hope this won't be the same story for Ethan Gage.

^ Gage is with some people who care about developing Cdn talent, have a plan to develop Cdn talent and have a record of developing Cdn talent.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Joey Melo was a weird story. A young, local player that most people never heard of and had never been in the youth national team picture up to that point (as far as I recall) signs for TFC. He plays in their innaugual year raising the hopes of all the fans that he may be one to watch in the future, then disappears into obscurity in year 2. Back to where he came from I guess.

Doubt it. Given the Caps track record there is a reason several TFC Academy players left to go to Vancouver!

I hope the two latch on somewhere with a team or better yet get an education.

Updated TFC Roster:

29 Nana Attakora-Gyan D 1989-03-27 Canada S 0

19 Chad Barrett F 1985-04-30 USA S 3

11 Jim Brennan M 1977-05-08 Canada S 1

?? Dwayne De Rosario F 1978-05-15 Canada S 7

9 Danny Dichio F 1974-10-19 England S 1

12 Todd Dunivant D 1980-12-26 USA S 5

18 Brian Edwards GK 1984-10-06 USA S 0

27 Gabe Gala D-M 1989-06-29 Nigeria S 1

20 Amado Guevara M 1976-05-02 Honduras S 4

5 Kevin Harmse D 1984-07-04 South Africa S 1

7 Abdus Ibrahim F 1991-08-15 Ethiopia S 0

14 Tyrone Marshall F 1974-11-12 Jamaica S 10

10 Rohan Ricketts M 1982-12-22 England S 0

33 Carl Robinson M 1976-10-13 Wales S 1

15 Tyler Rosenlund M 1986-09-13 Canada S 0

28 Johann Smith F 1987-04-25 USA S 0

1 Greg Sutton GK 1977-04-19 Canada S 3

4 Marco Velez D 1980-06-26 Puerto Rico S 0

16 Marvell Wynne D 1986-05-08 USA S 2

I count 19 players under contract at this point in time, so there's room for 5 more players. There are 4 Cdns on the Sr. roster (bold) and 3 more that will probably figure on the DEV roster (italics) for a total of 7 meaning we'll either see 1 more "Canuck" (White?) or go with only 23 players (16 Int'l + 7 CDN).

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Updated TFC Roster:

29 Nana Attakora-Gyan D 1989-03-27 Canada S 0

19 Chad Barrett F 1985-04-30 USA S 3

11 Jim Brennan M 1977-05-08 Canada S 1

?? Dwayne De Rosario F 1978-05-15 Canada S 7

9 Danny Dichio F 1974-10-19 England S 1

12 Todd Dunivant D 1980-12-26 USA S 5

18 Brian Edwards GK 1984-10-06 USA S 0

27 Gabe Gala D-M 1989-06-29 Nigeria S 1

20 Amado Guevara M 1976-05-02 Honduras S 4

5 Kevin Harmse D 1984-07-04 South Africa S 1

7 Abdus Ibrahim F 1991-08-15 Ethiopia S 0

14 Tyrone Marshall F 1974-11-12 Jamaica S 10

10 Rohan Ricketts M 1982-12-22 England S 0

33 Carl Robinson M 1976-10-13 Wales S 1

15 Tyler Rosenlund M 1986-09-13 Canada S 0

28 Johann Smith F 1987-04-25 USA S 0

1 Greg Sutton GK 1977-04-19 Canada S 3

4 Marco Velez D 1980-06-26 Puerto Rico S 0

16 Marvell Wynne D 1986-05-08 USA S 2

I count 19 players under contract at this point in time, so there's room for 5 more players. There are 4 Cdns on the Sr. roster (bold) and 3 more that will probably figure on the DEV roster (italics) for a total of 7 meaning we'll either see 1 more "Canuck" (White?) or go with only 23 players (16 Int'l + 7 CDN).

Is anybody from the academy eligible and/orlikely to fill that last dev spot?

^ I haven't heard anything so far to suggest that's going to happen. But then again, i won't claim to be in the know about this kind of stuff compared to some others on this board.

Looking forward to the day somebody breaks through the system and starts to contribute on the regular. Attakora looks to be the closest, but until TFC actually goes through the entire process I'm not going to be 100% sure they are committed.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Is anybody from the academy eligible and/orlikely to fill that last dev spot?

Simple Answer: No

The Last Dev roster spot will either be filled by Gen Adidas player that they decide to draft (my best is Stefan Frei) or by some other young Canadian that is unattached at the moment (and there are a few of those).

If I had to bet, it would be a Gen Adidas player.

Don't be surprised if Nana graduates to Senior Roster status. I don't know this...just a hunch

quote:Originally posted by masster

Melo has played with the Canadian national youth teams, although he hasn't featured with the current U20 team in the last couple of camps (unlike Gaudet) - he did play against Argentina last May though.

I had heard a couple of weeks ago about Melo being released but Gaudet's released is surprising and disappointing - he'd only been there a couple of months, played in one game & looked quite promising in it. I don't think TFC should be carrying Canucks for the sake of carrying Canucks but they do have an obligation to at least give Canucks an opportunity and I'm not convinced Gaudet got one. With Melo you could argue that he'd gotten enough of a look after two season, but not with Gaudet - and cripes, they are both in their teens IIRC.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Is anybody from the academy eligible and/or likely to fill that last dev spot?

MLS rules dictate a player has to be with the Academy for 2 years before being allowed to sign with their team, so we'll see what happens next year.

With the way the DEV slots have been slashed i'd imagine TFC looks at the Academy only for elite prospects ie. Generation Adidas. We'll be allowed to carry 1 GA player from the Academy on the roster at any given time. Each GA can be carried up to 3 years, although they can "graduate" early by achieving PT and other performance targets. I guess there is the chance that if more than 1 kid gets signed from the DEV roster to the Sr. roster next year that we could see more than 1 Academy kid sign...

2009 Generation adidas List

Non-American Gen A players without a Green Card

Stefan Frei - Switzerland

Steve Zakuani - United Kingdom.

(Will they count as internationals; or exempt due to development status?)

Non- American Players with a Green Card

Baggio Husidic - Bosnia

Rodney Wallace - Costa Rica

source: Joe Mauceri - http://proplayerpipeline.wordpress.com/

thanks to sw, he directed me to Joe's site.

EDIT:

If Russell Teibert, CSA U-17 Player of the Year, were to go the NCAA route, he would be recruited by the MLS/Gen A program.

IMHO, Teibert would own the NCAA by the end of his 2nd season.

He could play there now, and he would be an impact player as a freshman, he's that good.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

The USSF have a strong role where Generation adidas is concerned so it remains to be seen if Canadians will ever be involved.

Tyler Rosenlund was under consideration for a Gen-A contract before he went off to try his luck in Europe.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

EDIT:

If Russell Teibert, CSA U-17 Player of the Year, were to go the NCAA route, he would be recruited by the MLS/Gen A program.

IMHO, Teibert would own the NCAA by the end of his 2nd season.

He could play there now, and he would be an impact player as a freshman, he's that good.

I don't know if Russell could go NCAA. I think by signing with the Whitecaps Residency, players give up their NCAA eligability.

The Whitecaps Residency program focusses on highschool age youngsters whose ambition is the professional game. University is generally not high on their priority list, indeed I understand the professional contract they sign with the Whitecaps acknowledges they are or may be compromising their college prospects. Then again, the Whitecaps do claim to personalise the programs for their residency players so there may well be arrangements made for particular players who are good university candidates but I think it is unlikely that the Whitecaps would pay the freight. Furthermore, the rigorous Residency training program is not designed to cater for university studies.

I think the intention is that once the kids graduate from highschool they will have been signed by another club somewhere if not picked up by the 'Caps for the senior team. The Whitecaps are not looking to put kids through university, that's not what the residency program is all about.

To be clear, MLS rules only allow for one player to be signed from the academy every three years.

Melo had his chance. He wasn't ready for MLS. It's in his best interest to move on now. I'm as critical as anyone (probably more than most actually) of Mo when it comes to his handling of Canadian kids. However, this has as much to do with the reduction in roster size as anything. To me Attakora (who looks like he will move to the senior roster spot) is evidence that a young Canadian at TFC has as much chance to break in as any player. He just doesn’t have more of a chance.

Archived