Tomasz Radzinski, IPoY of 2008

Cheeta

It is with great pleasure that The Voyageurs wish to announce TOMASZ RADZINSKI as their International Player of the Year for 2008.

For the 35 year old striker this award recognizes the inspiring contributions made during 2008's World Cup Qualifying campaign along with the continuing goal scoring successes which Mr. Radzinski has been enjoying with his club side Lierse S.K. of the Belgian 2nd division and his previous club in 2008, Skoda Xanthi SC of the Greek top flight.

Being blessed with the faults of being too outspoken and too honest for his own good has done little to dampen the Wee Man's growing popularity with Canadian soccer fans over the past several years as Mr. Radzinski has used his seniority within the Canadian Mens National team to publicly act as player advocate as well as enthusiastically promoting the sport of football both at home and abroad.

Easily the most famous Canadian footballer of this generation, Mr. Radzinski has lived a charmed life these past several seasons escaping serious injury while producing impressive goal scoring results in both Greece and of late, Belgium. No small achievement for a footballer who has seen both his career and on-field role evolving with the advancing years.

Mr. Radzinski is currently enjoying his 2nd stint in Belgian football with Belgian 2nd division side, and promotion favourates, K. Lierse S.K. of Lier, Antwerp. Mr. Radzinski's pro career which began in Canada has also brought him to England and Greece and includes the honour of the highest ever transfer fee paid for a Canadian player when the mans goal scoring exploits at both the club and Champions league levels with Anderlecht produced a 2001 move to Everton of the English Premier League at 4.5 million pounds.

Along with the highest aggregate total, Mr. Radzinski also finished with both the greatest number of 1st and 2nd place votes. Polling was conducted on The Voyageur Mens National Team forum during the last two weeks of December.

Tomasz Radzinski, The Voyageurs International Player of the Year 2008.

Born; Poznan, Poland December 14th, 1973

Height; 1.74m

Position; Striker, attacking midfield

Footed; Right (decent left to)

Club; K. Lierse S.K., EXQI League (Belgian 2nd tier)

National Team Appearances in 2008; 9 (1goal, 1 caution)

Total caps; 45

Last years run away winner of the International Player of the Year award, Julian de Guzman of Spanish top flight side, Deportiva la Coruna finished a strong 2nd in polling after enjoying another wonderful year in 2008 which included recognition from the players, fans, and staff when he was named Depor's Player of the Year for the 2007/2008 season. The first time a Canadian has been so honoured at such a high level.

Ali Gerba's impressive play, and equally impressive goal scoring exploits during World Cup Qualifying did not go unnoticed during voting. Strong performances with the national team, including home and away goals against Mexico, out weighed the near invisibility to Canadian fans which comes with playing club football with English League One side Milton Keynes Dons and allowed the striker to finish a comfortable third in polling.

Tomasz Radzinski

K. Lierse S.K. Belgium

42(1st)-22(2nd)-13(3rd) for 289 pts

appearing on 87.5% of submissions for a per sub average of 3.75 pts.

Julian de Guzman

Deportiva La Coruna Spain

28-17-11 for 202 pts

appearing on 63.6% of submissions for a per sub average of 3.61 pts

Ali Gerba

Milton Keynes Dons England

12-13-18 for 117 pts

appearing on 48.8% of submissions for a per sub average of 2.72 pts

Rob Friend

Borussia Monchengladbach Germany

3-13-13 for 67 pts

appearing on 32.9% of submissions for a per sub average of 1.31 pts

Dwayne de Rosario

Toronto Football Club MLS(USA/Canada)

5-2-3 for 34 pts

appearing on 11.4% of submissions for a per sub average of 3.40 pts

Mike Klukowski

Club Brugge Belgium

1-7-11 for 33 pts

appearing on 21.6% of submissions for a per sub average of 1.95 pts

Adrien Serioux

Football Club Dallas MLS(USA/Canada)

0-5-4 for 19 pts

appearing on 10.2% of submissions for a per sub average of 2.11 pts

Lars Hirschfeld

CFR Cluj Romania

0-3-3 for 12 pts

appearing on 6.8% of submissions for a per sub average of 2.00 pts

Charles Gbeke

Vancouver Whitecaps USL D1(USA/Canada)

1-0-0 for 5 pts

appearing on 1.1% of submissions for a per sub average of 5 pts

Iain Hume, Adrian Cann and Daniel Imhof

0-1-0 for 3pts

appearing on 1.1% of submissions for a per sub average of 3 pts

Paul Stalteri, Pat Onstad, Richard Hastings, Atiba Hutchinson and Issey Nakajima-Farran

0-0-1 for 1 pt

appearing on 1.1% of submissions for a per sub average of 1 pt

In total 17 different players would receive 1st, 2nd or 3rd place votes on 88 ballots during polling in 2008.

I voted for Radz myself. However, as much as I know we need to make these releases sound good, I am not comfortable with the following statement:

quote:Being blessed with the faults of being too outspoken and too honest for his own good has done little to dampen the Wee Man's growing popularity with Canadian soccer fans

I think his behaviour during the Holger years when he refused to play for us and even once just didn't show up for the Gold Cup without informing Holger or anyone else was anything but honest. Don't forget that during his prime years when we really could have used a top striker he refused to play for us. I don't mind giving credit where credit is due and he has been excellent since he returned to the team yet I don't think we should gloss over a less than stellar past. Give him credit for what he has done (played well for us in recent years) but not for what he has not done, ie. been one of our most principled players who always showed up whenever he was called.

Appreciate the work on this, Cheetah.

I also agree with Grizz about that particular wording. I just think you're adding too much of a personal opinion and since the overall opinions of Radz's commitments issues are decidedly mixed, any press release coming from the voyageurs should reflect that by perhaps taking the middle ground. I would further suggest that we drop "Mr.", as no respectable sports journalism uses anything other than a player's regular names sans titles. Other than that it looks like a proper press release - great.

Good piece, Cheeta. Radzinski would be very pleased to read it, in receiving such honour.

(Minor suggestions: please do a spellcheck before releasing it publicly; words like

"favourites" should be easily corrected.)

Also, don't forget the following facts: Radz played in the (real) CSL with North York Rockets;

played in the EPL with not only with Wayne Rooney and Everton, but also Fulham; played Champions

League with Anderlect (and made trivia by showing up in the first few minutes in the film,

"Bend it Like Beckham"), and also won the Belgian League Championship with Geminal Ekren.

Also scored against Brazil in the 1997 Gold Cup.

As for his Holger issues, well, all is forgiven with his level of play during this WCQ.

Hey guys...I'm sending out the formal release to the media in about 20 minutes.

I have read the comments and have made a couple of minor tweaks (as well as a supplementary spell check) to make sure it reflects people's wishes.

^ that would be great. I'll email you the updated PR so I can send it all the Quebec based media outlets in French and send it to the club in Belgium, like last year, when I sent the PR to Deportivo and they put it on their club's home page.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Appreciate the work on this, Cheetah.

I also agree with Grizz about that particular wording. I just think you're adding too much of a personal opinion and since the overall opinions of Radz's commitments issues are decidedly mixed, any press release coming from the voyageurs should reflect that by perhaps taking the middle ground. I would further suggest that we drop "Mr.", as no respectable sports journalism uses anything other than a player's regular names sans titles. Other than that it looks like a proper press release - great.

Except for the Globe and Mail...

But no "Mr." in CP style...

^ I fixed that. He's just Radzinski in the media release i just sent out.

BTW, any bloggers or lurking media types who want to be included in the various media releases I do for the V's (and for others, including myself), please shoot me an email at : thevs at live.com

BTW, expect to have the V's PoY award discussed on Thursday's Footy Show podcast (The Score), Sunday's Footy Show TV broadcast and Thursday's "The Soccer Show" (on Fan590 Toronto with Nigel Reed and Bob Iarusci).

This has been confirmed by James Sharmann and Nigel Reed

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I voted for Radz myself. However, as much as I know we need to make these releases sound good, I am not comfortable with the following statement:

I think his behaviour during the Holger years when he refused to play for us and even once just didn't show up for the Gold Cup without informing Holger or anyone else was anything but honest. Don't forget that during his prime years when we really could have used a top striker he refused to play for us. I don't mind giving credit where credit is due and he has been excellent since he returned to the team yet I don't think we should gloss over a less than stellar past. Give him credit for what he has done (played well for us in recent years) but not for what he has not done, ie. been one of our most principled players who always showed up whenever he was called.

Too much? Probably, but I stand by the sentiment and disagree that Radz has even been anything but honest. Complaining about the nonsense the players have had to endure over the years and butting heads with Holger doesn't make one dishonest.

I will give you the Gold Cup no-show was very poor form but I don't think we'll ever hear the whole story behind that. And besides Holger got over it before "The Mutiny" did him in, you should have by now to.

(Ha! I knew you'd have a comment on that bit, Griz).

^

I don't think allowing persons their proper title in a formal article is unprofessional. Yes, it's not something you see a lot of in the print these days but you guys will forgive me the tradition when I slop these articles together. No it doesn't make the article sound like it was written by a professional sports writer and for that I'm grateful.

^

Hey, Fury. Literally just finished paying for the Little One's trip to Japan so come July if there's a Gold Cup group in Canada think we might make a trip, but it's a tricky business working these things out. Will there be an international played in Canada in '09 and will Radz be part of it? Would hate to get burned waiting for something to happen that might not.

^

Tip of the hat to loyola for the French language release. Stepping up as usual. Cheers.

^

nolando, that's the final draft of the release and VPjr is due the credit for tidying things up along with getting the release out.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

You're welcome. I thought VPjr would send me a the new version but it's OK, I'll take the version on Richard's website and translate it from there.

I hope to be done by tomorrow.

I sent you an email today through the site...i don't have your email address. I had not heard from you.

Archived