CANADA v HONDURAS MATCH THREAD [R]

The best comment during the game was by Craig Forrest when he said, "in central and south america they think we're stupid because we don't know how to keep a score or win a game" and that was the best statement by Craig ever.

The biggest f**k up of them all IMO, is trying to make Canada play a creative system like the 4-3-3.

I think Dale Mitchell is completely confuse, for some reason he believes we're a skillful team with an offensive attacking mentality.

We needed a win and he pulls out a striker, instead of going with a 4-4-2 and bombard the Honduran area with crosses, which is one of the few things we can do right.

In any other country in the world Mitchell will be sacked immediately after the game.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Richard

We still need the CSA, it just needs a major structural overhaul. Soccer needs a talented, fulltime CEO with corporate experience and some charisma who has the responsibility and authority to run the game nationally, accountable to a non-executive elected board that is limited to directing policy and is not involved in day-to-day management and operations.

Richard for President!

After reading your bio, you are the man. How come you are just managing a website and getting wet taking photos? Your charisma, your talent and experience at CEO and various soccer levels is more than any of the jokers in the Board now.

"In any other country in the world Mitchell will be sacked immediately after the game."

After that sorry performance I agree the only honorable thing for Mitchell is to humbly resign and leave the rest of the campaign to Steven Hart.

You couldn't have said it any clearer. I agree.

Obviously, I'm not giving up hope until the math doesn't work in our favour anymore and I would say that we saw a number of poor performances in many areas this evening. But IMO the manager has had the most to prove, more than this particular group of players. Around the same time last year when this core group had a very good run at the GC, DM's side was crashing out at the U20s without scoring a goal. So when I see us a goal down in the latter stages of an absolutely critical home game and we persist with a single target man striker who isn't getting any attacking support, I sadly realize that this guy is over his head at this level. It's not because he's not emotional enough, or a holler guy, as was discussed in an earlier thread: his latter game situational tactics sucked, simple as that!

Sorry for my emotional outburst...I rarely get this way on this board, but I'm damned p*ssed about this situation.

Dale, pull a Keegan from the old Wembley washrooms in 2000 and resign. Then maybe we can engineer a qualifying revival like England did under SVG for the 2002 World Cup ... under new management.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Richard for President!

After reading your bio, you are the man. How come you are just managing a website and getting wet taking photos? Your charisma, your talent and experience at CEO and various soccer levels is more than any of the jokers in the Board now.

You are too kind but I am thoroughly enjoying my retirement from the stress of that kind of work thanks :D

I do however think we need to look for the revival of the Canadian Soccer Federation lobbying campaign. The CSF had some good ideas and passionate people involved who garnered a surprising amount of exposure in the national media which has essentially been frittered away while folks were being taken in by the whitewash job done at the CSA. Nothing has really changed in Ottawa guys, just the names of some of the people involved, it is otherwise the same old same old.

So depressed. I won't say "see you in 4 more years" yet. We have 12 points left up for grabs but when you see the possession displayed by Honduras you kind of wonder what will Mexico be like.

We can still do it but I don't like our chances. 1 point out of 6 so far. We really needed to take 6 off Jamaica. At best we can get 4. That leaves us with road games in Honduras and Mexico and one home game against Mexico.

I don't care if we are eliminated by then or not. I'm still going to go to Edmonton. I hope we have something to play for but either way I'm still going.

Sigh. :(

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Nice to see that you are getting some positives from the folks on this thread, Richard. Every time I read the Women's thread, it looked like you were all encompassing whipping boy!

Heh heh, being the whipping boy is nothing new when you're opinionated and outspoken :)

Some coaches inspire Mitchill has had his chance and failed. At the game in Toronto in front of my eyes I see Hastings chest down a ball to his feet beautifully giving himself all the time in the world what does he do but boot it 60 yards upfield. Tonight on the second goal sure he was cleaned one on one but the clear mistake was him booting the ball seconds before while under no pressure. I point this out not to embarass richard(we had world class players giving the ball away tonight) but direct it at Mitchill because Stephan Hart had him only booting it 30 yards at a time. My bad feelings started for this game after the 20th for the first time in Canada's history there was real atmosphere at a home game and Dale Mitchill decides to focus on never coming back to Toronto. Negative attitude negative play Toronto FC results.

^ The CSF is/was the only organised group actively lobbying for change at the national level. You have any better suggestions or willing to step up to the plate yourself? Perhaps you prefer to just sit back and complain while actually doing nothing like a good Canadian?

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

As usual everybody blames the coach. The players got everything they wanted and as buddy above said they had to step it up and they didn't. As I posted quite a while back, no heart, no leader and possibly less talented than we believe.

But I won't give up, just yet. We are loooooong overdue for a miracle.

Here's what I don't understand (and most people on this board have been watching Canadian soccer for far longer than I, so excuse me if this sounds naive) but what happened to the team I saw in the Gold Cup? Why is it that almost the exactly same players that played such inspired, fluent, and technically sound soccer a year ago suddenly resort to playing such predictable dross? How come Hastings (and I don't remember this sticking out at the Gold Cup) has suddenly become afraid to take more than 2 touches on the ball? Why is Gerba, who played so well in terms of dropping deep and linking the play at the GC, suddenly being asked to win headers and chase balls into channels all night? Did we as a fan community vastly overrate the performances at the Gold Cup or has something actually changed?

I have never (and again, I have a fairly small sample size) seen such disparity in terms of confidence, movement, flair and general performance in virtually the same Canadian team in such a short space of time. It's equal parts astounding and disappointing, unfortunately.

I gather the stadium was not full either, official attendance announced was under 13,000, at least 1,000 below capacity.

It was about 800 off capacity, but I believe those tickets were sold. International games count attendance, not tickets sold.

quote:Originally posted by schafer

Here's what I don't understand (and most people on this board have been watching Canadian soccer for far longer than I, so excuse me if this sounds naive) but what happened to the team I saw in the Gold Cup? Why is it that almost the exactly same players that played such inspired, fluent, and technically sound soccer a year ago suddenly resort to playing such predictable dross? How come Hastings (and I don't remember this sticking out at the Gold Cup) has suddenly become afraid to take more than 2 touches on the ball? Why is Gerba, who played so well in terms of dropping deep and linking the play at the GC, suddenly being asked to win headers and chase balls into channels all night? Did we as a fan community vastly overrate the performances at the Gold Cup or has something actually changed?

I have never (and again, I have a fairly small sample size) seen such disparity in terms of confidence, movement, flair and general performance in virtually the same Canadian team in such a short space of time. It's equal parts astounding and disappointing, unfortunately.

Two words - different coach.

quote:Originally posted by elricko

I really cannot believe that everybody here expected big things of Canada-we were technically completely outplayed by Honduras- they were vastly superior to us, and apart from the first 15 mins, we were poor.

I told my son months ago that Canada's WC team of 1986 was one of the best Canada teams ever,and yet fans on this board still believed that this current side was the greatest Canadian team--open your eyes. We just do not have the skill, temperament,experience, coaching, fans, stadia etc to compete at world football. If we had the good players, then top sides would be clamouring to sign them. Look at Stalteri,our captain, who is way past his best years at Werder Bremen----- who wants him in England-certainly not Spurs, who even ditched his far superior replacement Chimbonda.We have one genuine player with world class talent, and he plays for Deportivo in Spain, the rest are a pretty motley crew of third rate journeymen that work hard, but do not have the required skill. I 've been watching soccer for over 50 years , all over the world, and Canada is not much farther ahead than when I came to this country in 1974.

BUT having said that, I would love them to beat Mexico on Wednesday, and I will gladly eat my words--after all a coin toss and aHastings goal did once bring joy to this soccer wasteland.

i love it when guys take a bad situation and claim that they predicted it after the fact...canada has the talent to play anyone in this zone...look at honduras squad...who would you trade to fit into the canadian roster as an upgrade?...maybe one guy...two at the most.

if you think canada's team is nothing but a bunch of worthless journeymen, what do you think of jamaica and honduras who with the exception of one or two players are mostly domestic league players with a few MLS or low level european league guys.

the 1986 roster was made up of a bunch of guys who played indoor soccer...there is no comparing the quality of the two sides.

Back from the game...Mitchell has to go he has one tactic, no matter what the game situation is, it is called 4-5-1...it is the second game now that is not working for the players. We need a change.

We need a manager with some balls.

Lars - Ddin't make crucial saves when we needed him to, but can't really blame him for it.

Klokowski - was terrible tonight, useless long balls to Friend and Gerba as well got burned running back a couple times

Hasting - well what can I say guys he plays the same every game...

Serioux - Good header on the goal, a workhorse out there, good on him.

Stalteri - Nothing impressed, no quality crosses, questionable defending.

DeRosario - Great attacking, frustrating to watch once he loses the ball. Unfortunate for his shot late in he game not to go in.

Atiba - Great heart did well in midfield and battled hard.

DeGuzman - Did well, but seemed he was missing the elevation to his game like he had against Real Madrid

Bernier - Seemed to hack everyone down, I guess he was asking for a sending off.

Radz - 15 minutes of pure class.

Gerba - Did the best he could with the service to him, should have finished that oppurtunity that went off the post.

Hume - Really a step down in quality from Radz

Friend - Lacked good service, but managed to generate a couple of decent chances.

Brennan - Didn't play long enough to make much of an impact.

Archived