CANADA v HONDURAS MATCH THREAD [R]

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not sure how everyone can blame mitchell...seriouslty, he started the next best option in goal over a guy who lost the win for us last game and has done so several times in the past....he started a striker who has had success with the team...yes friend plays in a higher league, but he doesnt connect with the players on this team....i think it is good that he tried something new.

i dont believe its over...winning away from home is not as hard as everyone claims...seriously this team is no better than us...jamaica are far worse...its not the best situation, but beating honduras at home is harldy impossible...i give us a better than 50% chance to win there on any given day...

we need to take 6 from jamiaca and honduras now and hope for at least 2 or 3 from mexico...not impossible.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I don't even want to talk about this, too depressed. Our best players were not their best tonight, that's why we lost. I was expecting so much more from them, particularly in terms of energy & fight. We looked like we were going to runaway with the match until Radzinski got hurt, we played defensively for five minutes while short-handed a man and seemed to stay that way the whole rest of the game.

The ref is an inconsistent a-hole for sending off Bernier - De Guzman gets fouled from behind, no call & leads to Honduras' only dangerous play in the first half, Bernier wins the ball from behind & is given a second yellow. I intend to boo Guevara every time he touches the ball for TFC, diving scum.

The problem with Canada and officiating is that the typical officials in CONCACAF expect players to be flying and flopping all the time. So if a player doesn't act like he's been shot, he must not have been fouled.

Jason

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by denis

I was disapointed in Hume. Radz was way more effective in his short time out there.

I agree but it seems Hume was simply told to fill Radz's shoes, instead of Dale changing the setup to a 4-4-2. He was too far from the goal and was practically playing midfield. Then he blames Hume for his mistake by taking him off, that was some cowardly coaching I thought. You have to be a real ass of a coach to take off a player who subbed on earlier. And I bet Iain is going to be really angry at Dale for that, and rightly so.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

As usual everybody blames the coach. The players got everything they wanted and as buddy above said they had to step it up and they didn't. As I posted quite a while back, no heart, no leader and possibly less talented than we believe.

Club wise our talent is no worse than Honduras. We should be able to be more competitive than we are in this region.

hume played awkward, horrible, lame shots, bad balls through...what is he suddenly playing some latin style? get out on the wing and stretch their defense. thats exactly what radz was doing. stay wide, stretch them, cut in on occasion...but the lame flicks and spins..sorry...hume played brutal.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I agree but it seems Hume was simply told to fill Radz's shoes, instead of Dale changing the setup to a 4-4-2. He was too far from the goal and was practically playing midfield. Then he blames Hume for his mistake by taking him off, that was some cowardly coaching I thought. You have to be a real ass of a coach to take off a player who subbed on earlier. And I bet Iain is going to be really angry at Dale for that, and rightly so.

I agree you. I don't understand the need to keep the exact same formation at all times. Making the correct tactical changes is an important ability for a coach to have, and DM seemed to prove that he doesn't have that ability tonight.

quote:Originally posted by denis

If we are to be a serious soccer nation the CSA has to go.

We still need the CSA, it just needs a major structural overhaul. Soccer needs a talented, fulltime CEO with corporate experience and some charisma who has the responsibility and authority to run the game nationally, accountable to a non-executive elected board that is limited to directing policy and is not involved in day-to-day management and operations.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by lefoot

hume played awkward, horrible, lame shots, bad balls through...what is he suddenly playing some latin style? get out on the wing and stretch their defense. thats exactly what radz was doing. stay wide, stretch them, cut in on occasion...but the lame flicks and spins..sorry...hume played brutal.

I don't know if you have ever seen him play for any of his clubs, but I seriously doubt you will have ever seen him play in that position. This is the coach's fault, however badly he did, since Dale asked him to do something he does not play in The Championship for.

Still, in the end the players have to make decisions on the field, even to the point of defying the coach and doing what is right in spite of his instructions. Even to the point of organizing themselves, sorting themselves out. Nobody does that on this team, not one of them. They are all really just bit players doing a job as part of the team, journeymen really, at least I did not see anything different tonight and frankly against Jamaica either.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I agree but it seems Hume was simply told to fill Radz's shoes, instead of Dale changing the setup to a 4-4-2. He was too far from the goal and was practically playing midfield. Then he blames Hume for his mistake by taking him off, that was some cowardly coaching I thought.

We saw DM's same tactical inflexibility in the South Africa friendly last November when were down 2-0 at the half, where he could have brought on Occean for the ineffective Simpson, partner him with Hume and gone to 4-4-2 and see how things transpired. As it turned out Issey came on, we continued with Hume as the lone target man, and our play actually regressed. Tonight, he could have kept Gerba on and sacrificed Bernier instead when we were a goal down, but that never happened. So thus we were left watching one guy getting marked by three with little support.

I find it ironic that a guy who made his career as a poaching striker in partnership with a target man never once endeavoured to use that tactic during his MNT tenure.

I really cannot believe that everybody here expected big things of Canada-we were technically completely outplayed by Honduras- they were vastly superior to us, and apart from the first 15 mins, we were poor.

I told my son months ago that Canada's WC team of 1986 was one of the best Canada teams ever,and yet fans on this board still believed that this current side was the greatest Canadian team--open your eyes. We just do not have the skill, temperament,experience, coaching, fans, stadia etc to compete at world football. If we had the good players, then top sides would be clamouring to sign them. Look at Stalteri,our captain, who is way past his best years at Werder Bremen----- who wants him in England-certainly not Spurs, who even ditched his far superior replacement Chimbonda.We have one genuine player with world class talent, and he plays for Deportivo in Spain, the rest are a pretty motley crew of third rate journeymen that work hard, but do not have the required skill. I 've been watching soccer for over 50 years , all over the world, and Canada is not much farther ahead than when I came to this country in 1974.

BUT having said that, I would love them to beat Mexico on Wednesday, and I will gladly eat my words--after all a coin toss and aHastings goal did once bring joy to this soccer wasteland.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

As usual everybody blames the coach. The players got everything they wanted and as buddy above said they had to step it up and they didn't. As I posted quite a while back, no heart, no leader and possibly less talented than we believe.

But I won't give up, just yet. We are loooooong overdue for a miracle.

Hey, every time I argue that its the players who win or lose games I am rapped over the knuckles because I am aparently overlooking the important leadership role played by the coach who sets the overall tone in the locker room and on the sidelines plus the on-field tactics. We can't have it both ways ;)

Joe you're right, it's our turn now! We honestly CAN'T give up now, what are all of us? Do we all just roll over and die now? Can we not pull out a win in Honduras? Can we not pull out a win in Jamaica? Can we not get at least a point against Mexico? THIS FIGHT ISN'T OVER!

Damnit all, a few people who came to watch with me tonight just up and left, said we were through, had no f*ckin heart at all. That sickens me! Time to get some f*ckin balls people, stand the F*CK UP for the boys in red!

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Joe you're right, it's our turn now! We honestly CAN'T give up now, what are all of us? Do we all just roll over and die now? Can we not pull out a win in Honduras? Can we not pull out a win in Jamaica? Can we not get at least a point against Mexico? THIS FIGHT ISN'T OVER!

Damnit all, a few people who came to watch with me tonight just up and left, said we were through, had no f*ckin heart at all. That sickens me! Time to get some f*ckin balls people, stand the F*CK UP for the boys in red!

Felt the same way in 04.

Guest Jeffery S.

I don't think people think it is over, we are still going to hope for a few results. I am definitely hanging in there, but the team is not giving us too many encouraging signs. Totally different from the Gold Cup, but mind you what was the key difference for that?

These were the games we had to get something from. Even a draw tonight and we'd be sitting 2nd in the group still. I mean it is a big difference.

the coach doesnt play the game, the players do. it was a disgraceful showing by our players. But what stood out more was all the hondurans at the game. This absolutely blows. I never liked toronto but after seeing the great canadian support in toronto compared to the absurdity of the fans in Montreal, I think Montreal should NEVER host a game again. There should be a small section for honduran fans and the rest of the stadium should be canadian. Here in Brasil, if a Sao Paulo fan was in the palmeiras section, he would be leaving in a body bag. I blame the fans as much as the poor showing of our players, NOT the coach.

Bad day for me Holland looses to Australia and now this.These two goals against were identical in their set up and obviously that was our weakness. I am not a big fan of Dale and i always believed that Hart was and is the better coach,which he proved in the Gold Cup.Although our players obviously are extremely motivated I still believe that there was still something missing.This can be traced to the coaching.I was foremost very disappointed with Julian and he seems to go in spurts.He certainly plays a different game in Spain.So the question is why,tactics or system of play. I don't know but it was not pretty to watch.

The only saving grace for me was that although I had planned to go and everything was booked,I woke up with one heck of a cold so i stayed home and I guess that is about the only good part.Obviously I missed the march and wonder how that turned out.

Miracles are the only thing that can save us.

Archived