Question about future V-Cups

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jamit

I would love to see this expanded, but not much chance of that, is there... :(

Ultimately yes, but I don't think it's in the cards for the next few years.

Thunder Bay won the PDL, but who says that gives them entrance to the Voyageurs Cup ? How about the champion from the CSL or PCSL ? There are all considered Canadian Third Division, so until they can figure out a way to designate a champion, I don't see how you can fairly say who would gain access.

One of the reasons everyone found the competition so interesting was the games were played at a high level and were competitive. Adding even one more team that is of a much lower level will only cheapen the competition in my eyes and make it less interesting. There is a big difference between the situation in Canada and in the European countries that have open competitions. Many of those countries have over 100 professional teams and a large number of amateur teams that are near professional level. In Canada we have 3 professional teams and the amateur teams are truly amateur both in official status and playing level.

They have set the bar at USL-1 or so it seems. So maybe in the distant future you will see a more FA cup style setup which I would love to see. For now it was very popular and the format worked well so they should keep it as it is.

Once we get more USL-1 & 2 teams (and MLS!) they can look at expanding it. The home and away format works great.

In my opinion i was wondering if they could do the tourney like this:

1st Round being a 2 game aggregate with these teams:

TFC, Vancouver paired with

Victoria United for winning PCSL (If American team wins, then the best Canadian finish gets in this)

THunder Bay Chill for winning USL PDL (If American team wins, then the best Canadian finish gets in this)

THen the 2 winners join Montreal (Defending Champs) in the 3 team 4 games each format.

* More games, more teams, same competition most likely

I wish some of these top PDL teams would make the jump to the USL-2. Then the questions of skill level might be better answered. If the USL wants to make a statement, because the league will hurt with Seattle leaving and possibly Montreal, Vancouver, Portland and Atlanta, they need a 12 team USL-1 and two USL-2 divisions (east, west). The clubs that have dropped to the PDL is a pure money issue.

Back to the Canadian Championship, I have to agree to let it ride for another year in the current format. The CSA should be making a fair sum of money from this event. Montreal will think twice about their schedule next year (a game every 3 days from now until October?). Most games were on TV (in some shape). I hope CBC sees the value and picks them all up next year. I say the 2008 event was a success and all the storylines are written for next year. You can film the promos now; "Canada Day Giant killers back again", "TFC seeks payback on the Impact", "Can the Impact dominate the Whitecaps, again".

The only way to expand the V-Cup is to have the CSA make some hard choices about the various leagues. The CSL, PCSL, USL-PDL and the various provincial leagues need to get together somehow and showcase what they have. I thought the Open Canada Cup might be that avenue when it started but it just got sloppy. Try a simpler approach, and FA Cup style with the Canadian clubs of the CSL (13?) and PCSL (9?). Do it with the NCAA March Madness style schedule with 4 teams at one host location to play the 3 games. It could be done in 2 weeks (wed/sat - wed/sat).

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I don't want to see it expanded until the teams below USL level vastly improve their playing level.

There could be one - or a series of - qualification rounds. And besides, if their level is really low, then they shouldn't win, so it shouldn't matter too much.

Also, any extra teams means it will go to an elimination format, not the current set-up.

If last seasons Voyageurs Cup has taught us anything, it's that there is an appetite in Canada for a league, and there is also solid support for it. Meanwhile, we're selling our souls to get into MLS.

Boy, it seems like nothing is set in stone beyond 2009. I would love to see if the USL (1 and 2) can keep their act together. The PDL is safe, for players, owners and the NCAA. It will be interesting to see how much poaching will happen. How will the MLS rosters change with the new CBA (2010?)? Ottawa needs an USL-1 team. so do a bunch of other cities. That is the only way to get into the spotlight, once in a while.

Yes I would like to see future tournaments include one team from a lower division. Maybe have a preliminary round with the top teams from the lower divisions CSL PDL etc, a tournament in one city if it will help reduce travel costs and one match fixtures and then the top team advances into the tournament with MTL, VAN, TOR I'm sure this could be worked out somehow,

QUESTION: I'm assuming Canada always is allowed only one Berth into the Champion's league, but what if Toronto FC ever Finished In first place in MLS and/or with the most points in the regular season? I think in the case that that ever happened far down the road ;) that we should get 2 berths although I'm assuming they wouldn't allow that and that's BS. Anyone know about this ?

TFC can not qualify for the CCL through MLS. No matter how well they do.

I actually wonder why someone doesn't step up and try to get a USL1 franchise for 2009. Aren't they desperate for teams in that league? You would have to figure that Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver would have to let that team into the Voyageurs Cup right away.

• 4 weeks later...

In 2009, I think the competition should stay the same. In 2010, I think they should add the CSL teams. CSL is professional and by 2010, they should have a Western Division and maybe 20 or so teams. Everyone but TFC Academy and Trois-Rivieres-Attak should enter. Hopefully by then, there will also be Ottawa in MLS. The tourney would then be a straight knockout FA cup like competition.

For other improvements, It should rarely ever be referred to as Canadian Championship, and should NEVER be referred to as Canadian Champions League. Everyone should call in the Voyageurs Cup. Also try and get all games live on CBC.

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

In 2009, I think the competition should stay the same. In 2010, I think they should add the CSL teams. CSL is professional and by 2010, they should have a Western Division and maybe 20 or so teams. Everyone but TFC Academy and Trois-Rivieres-Attak should enter. Hopefully by then, there will also be Ottawa in MLS. The tourney would then be a straight knockout FA cup like competition.

For other improvements, It should rarely ever be referred to as Canadian Championship, and should NEVER be referred to as Canadian Champions League. Everyone should call in the Voyageurs Cup. Also try and get all games live on CBC.

The CSL is not professional and I don't see them entering the V-Cup in the near future. CSL is essentially Div 3, similar to PCSL and PDL. I don't see how any one of these leagues can gain enter before another.

I think it will remain USL First Division and MLS.

• 8 months later...

Now that the CSA has formally recognized(?) the CSL...it begs the question: will the CSL Champ this year partiticipate in next year's V-Cup? I think, in light of the recent MTL-TFC "game", it might be time for a minimum of 4 teams.

I also dislike the fact that there are no prairie teams in the cup. I wonder if AB, SK, and MB could work out a tournament format so that the best men's team (amateur, semi-pro) of the 3 prairie provinces, would be sent. The Maritimes could do a similar thing. Then at least we draw in other Canadian soccer fans who have no representation. Being in Ottawa I can attend MTL or TFC games. If I was still in Calgary or Saskatoon - who would I cheer for?

It only makes sense. Fellow/former westerners, help me out here...

Archived