Jamaica in Toronto - Official

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow...i went away from the board for a few days and now there's lots to read.

Winnipeg Fury - great work you are doing.

I am very curious to know what the deal will be for TFC Season Ticket Holders. I truly hope we are not limited to our existing seats. I somehow doubt it because I remember buying 8 tickets in the south end for the Costa Rica match and another 30+ tickets up in sec 225 for my youth team. I am hoping to buy between 60-100 tickets in total for this match before they become available to the general public.

Bill Spiers...if you are reading this...what is the OSA doing to ensure that community clubs bring out big numbers? anything? Very little was done by the OSA to promote the Costa Rica v Canada game last year. The clubs are potentially an excellent outlet for ticket sales but they need to be made aware of it well in advance.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Bill Spiers...if you are reading this...what is the OSA doing to ensure that community clubs bring out big numbers? anything? Very little was done by the OSA to promote the Costa Rica v Canada game last year. The clubs are potentially an excellent outlet for ticket sales but they need to be made aware of it well in advance.

We'll be doing the same as we did (are still doing) for the Canada/Brazil Womens' game this July 10th. However, cannot always guarantee that the message gets to the intended recipient. OSA web site home page will prominently feature advertising for the game. We'll encourage our Districts, Leagues and Clubs to do the same. We'll be distributing posters, flyers and postcard-size advertising through our Districts, Leagues and Clubs as well as directly at tournaments. We'll use our e-mail directory to target club coaches - particulaly those with teams in the Ontario Cup. We've established contacts with the TFC supporters groups to see if they can help. And if any new ideas come up, we'll try that as well. Don't know how successful we were with Canada/Brazil but ticket sales have been going well!

wow...i went away from the board for a few days and now there's lots to read.

Winnipeg Fury - great work you are doing.

I am very curious to know what the deal will be for TFC Season Ticket Holders. I truly hope we are not limited to our existing seats. I somehow doubt it because I remember buying 8 tickets in the south end for the Costa Rica match and another 30+ tickets up in sec 225 for my youth team. I am hoping to buy between 60-100 tickets in total for this match before they become available to the general public.

You may be disappointed...

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

We'll be doing the same as we did (are still doing) for the Canada/Brazil Womens' game this July 10th. However, cannot always guarantee that the message gets to the intended recipient. OSA web site home page will prominently feature advertising for the game. We'll encourage our Districts, Leagues and Clubs to do the same. We'll be distributing posters, flyers and postcard-size advertising through our Districts, Leagues and Clubs as well as directly at tournaments. We'll use our e-mail directory to target club coaches - particulaly those with teams in the Ontario Cup. We've established contacts with the TFC supporters groups to see if they can help. And if any new ideas come up, we'll try that as well. Don't know how successful we were with Canada/Brazil but ticket sales have been going well!

Ummm...who was responsible for the group ticket sales for the Women's game vs. Brazil, especially the ones that sold out, and is that group sales opportunity being repeated for the MNT qualifier? If not, any insight into why a successful co-promotion between the OSA and CSA was not renewed for a match when - arguably - the attendance of OSA members that can replace Jamaican support is even more important to the CSA and its national men's team?

Glad to see the support for the Brazil game; here's hoping everyone gets to enjoy a great match! And thanks for your office's work in getting the word out at a VERY busy time of the year leading to the Ontario Cup. It's good to see the Association make the extra effort for an event that not everyone believes is important to the Association and its membership.

I just took a look at the OSA web site. It does not mention the men's game on the home page (or anywhere else of prominence). While I can appreciate that it's difficult to mention an event with no information on ticket availability, pricing, or group sales...it's also of little value to make people aware of the game with potentially less than a week to buy tickets. Do you think it worthwhile to give the game some type of billing on your site while awaiting details - even if it's a "Heads Up" logo with a link to a page that says "Details to Follow July xx" over the weekend? Would you agree that there is a low probability of tickets being available after the first-day sale date of July 14?

Thanks for your posting Bill.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Just realized this game is on a Wednesday night. I will be there regardless but that may not be convenient for many Voyageurs in cities other than Toronto. I guess the flip side is that it also won't be good for Jamaicans travelling to Toronto.

I'll go against all the experts and say I dont think the Jamaican support will be that great - atleast not at the level we were against the US back in 97 in DC. The Jamaican fans were galvanized due to a comment Mike Sobers - he actually said the Jamaican players were mentally weak -wow that caused an uproar. Ok when fans say it, but some two bit pub leauge reserve player? Not only is he stupid, he is not fit to share the same name as Sir Gary. Having said that - a caravan of 25 cars (so far) from NYC is heading your way --- dont be surprised if the CSA ticket policy gets a bit corrupted ;)

Jahman, just curious, shouldn't you be supporting Julian DeGuzman's side? I mean, he's going to be the best Jamaican on the pitch -and he has the hair to prove it. And what about Serioux? He's way more Rasta than any of those Englishmen who play for your country. You're on the wrong side of this one I think. I can't imagine what's it's like to have any emotional investment in 11 Mark Birchams. It's hard enough to support one. :D

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Jahman, just curious, shouldn't you be supporting Julian DeGuzman's side? I mean, he's going to be the best Jamaican on the pitch -and he has the hair to prove it. And what about Serioux? He's way more Rasta than any of those Englishmen who play for your country. You're on the wrong side of this one I think. I can't imagine what's it's like to have any emotional investment in 11 Mark Birchams. It's hard enough to support one. :D

Just because someone wears dreads, does not mean (1) he/she is a Rasta and (2) does not make one Jamaican. So your juvenile and rather ignorant stereotype is is just that. Would you consider her Jamaican

or maybe him
. I did get you were trying to be funny ;) - so no real offense taken. The irony of your comment is that indeed the best player on the pitch will be a Jamaican. As for the dreads, I am sure Gardener's is more natural than Serioux's - no bees wax or locktician turned him into a Rasta.

The Jamaican starting line up will most likely have as much English born players as Canada - so like you cant imagine what it would be like to have 11 Marlon Kings in our line up.

To add a bit more to this, without foreigners, Canada would never have won the 4X1 (100% non Canadian born) or have a world record holder in the 100m - who was actually born in Jamaica.

quote:Originally posted by jahman

Just because someone wears dreads, does not mean (1) he/she is a Rasta and (2) does not make one Jamaican. So your juvenile and rather ignorant stereotype is is just that. Would you consider her Jamaican

or maybe him
. I did get you were trying to be funny ;) - so no real offense taken. The irony of your comment is that indeed the best player on the pitch will be a Jamaican. As for the dreads, I am sure Gardener's is more natural than Serioux's - no bees wax or locktician turned him into a Rasta.

The Jamaican starting line up will most likely have as much English born players as Canada - so like you cant imagine what it would be like to have 11 Marlon Kings in our line up.

To add a bit more to this, without foreigners, Canada would never have won the 4X1 (100% non Canadian born) or have a world record holder in the 100m - who was actually born in Jamaica.

If you didn't take offence then why did you reply in the manner you did? Obviously he is aware of the irony, thats why he said it. As canadians, we are very proud of our heritage and multi-culturalism, as it defines as a nation. This is how threads get jacked. Grow up.

quote:Originally posted by Califax

If you didn't take offence then why did you reply in the manner you did? Obviously he is aware of the irony, thats why he said it. As canadians, we are very proud of our heritage and multi-culturalism, as it defines as a nation. This is how threads get jacked. Grow up.

That was me stepping up on a soap box and denouncing the post with my all my righteous indignation ;) you did notice the wink didn't ya?

you are right - lets get back on topic, I'll step into the background - where I belong and just read along - I can read you know ---again I am going to wink ;)

I am making a proposition - If (as hihgly unlikely as that is), Jamaica looses I will buy any Voyageur I can recognize a beer or two at which ever watering hole I am drowning my sorrows in....

No, seriously folks, Serioux is Rasta. It's his religion. I'm going to let him know you made fun of it, Jahman. He'll break some POME ankle for that. And he'll have a lot to choose from: Marlon King, Deon Burton, Richard Langley, Simon Ford, Campbell-Ryce, Damien Francis, Kevin Lisbie, Byfield, Hayles - is that eleven yet? Oh wait, Andy Williams. I guess he's your Marc Bircham.

You're England in disguise.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

No, seriously folks, Serioux is Rasta. It's his religion. I'm going to let him know you made fun of it, Jahman. He'll break some POME ankle for that. And he'll have a lot to choose from: Marlon King, Deon Burton, Richard Langley, Simon Ford, Campbell-Ryce, Damien Francis, Kevin Lisbie, Byfield, Hayles - is that eleven yet? Oh wait, Andy Williams. I guess he's your Marc Bircham.

You're England in disguise.

Damien Francis, Kevin Lisbie, Bylfield, Hayles - no longer with the squad -just not good enough. Marlon King will start - the others, will be long shots to make the final 18. I except no more than 3 sons of Jamaica who were born elsewhere to make the squad. But I like the effort....AS for Andy - you guys got Lee Chin ;)

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

Ticket prices of women's game is between $15 & $40....not bad at all. Why can't Men's game be this cheap in Toronto?

I'm told that the prices for this game are a little bit more reasonable than for Canada v Costa Rica. Details will be coming out early next week.

I'm told that the prices for this game are a little bit more reasonable than for Canada v Costa Rica. Details will be coming out early next week.

I paid $9 for the Costa Rica game through the Voyageurs, I was good with that :)

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I paid $9 for the Costa Rica game through the Voyageurs, I was good with that :)

I got cheap tickets for that game too but there were some REALLY expensive seats too (the one's that did not get sold).

Across the board, the tickets for this match should be more reasonable. I'm not sure if there will be any $9.00 seats this time though. Winnipeg Fury...has the CSA given you a group rate yet?

I spoke with the CSA yesterday and they still have a few details to iron out. At this point, nothing is yet finalized. All details (including the CODE) will be released on Monday.

I can tell you that our Voyageurs section will have the cheapest tickets in the stadium, with an additional discount for large group purchases.

It will be a desirable location.

Talk to you on Monday AM, as soon as everything is finalized.

Unfortunately I can't make the game but I was thinking of buying tickets in the Jamaican section to help reduce their numbers. Any other Canadian supporters that want to do the same? We could sell them back to Canadian supporters who are without tickets and want to attend the game.

Sounds like the Jamaicans will be in section 107/108.[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

Back to the topic of which seats to go for, I think the strategy should be to turn the south end of BMO field into a seething cauldron of noise and simmering animosity towards anything even remotely Jamaican. I know that we wouldn't all sit shoulder to shoulder that way but if there are a lot of us all in that general area, we are likely to stir many of those around us into action.

Call me

204-475-5659

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Unfortunately I can't make the game but I was thinking of buying tickets in the Jamaican section to help reduce their numbers. Any other Canadian supporters that want to do the same? We could sell them back to Canadian supporters who are without tickets and want to attend the game.

Sounds like the Jamaicans will be in section 107/108.[8D]

While I love the spirit and the idea behind this, please recognize that you are suggesting a set of actions that place people in jeopardy of violating criminal and civil laws in Canada, and could harm the goodwill of the CSA towards the Voyageurs, were someone to proceed with this course of action.

1. The Ticket Speculation Act of Ontario regulates some of what you are proposing. I am not a lawyer and cannot provide legal advice. My personal reading of the act would prompt me to obtain legal advice regarding the maximum resale value of the ticket (e.g. can I recoup Ticketmaster fees?) and the need to be licensed to sell goods in the city of Toronto and/or the province of Ontario if handling a bulk purchase (i.e. a business license and/or PST number).

2. There is nothing suggesting that, as an example, I could sell tickets to "Canadian supporters" any more easily than Ticketmaster could. How would you handle successful disposition of the tickets? Perhaps if you were handling a group buy for a known group - says the Elks of Port Perry or the Methodist Church Ladies Auxiliary of Oakville? But you'd need the customer groups identified before you bought the tickets, I'd think.

3. Furthermore, there are specific laws on discrimination related to the sale of goods in various provinces and in Canada. While it may be difficult to prove that the actions mentioned above were discriminatory, there is certainly the potential for a reasonable person to conclude there was discrimination, which could lead to a complaint and charges.

4. The CSA, as host of the event, may not appreciate the resale of their tickets at any price. Most event promoters prefer that individuals have access to the tickets directly. I don't know what the CSA would think about this gesture, but if you're doing it as a Voyageur it could inadvertently harm the group's reputation and ability to obtain future tickets.

What you do with a couple of tickets (probably up to 8 tickets), without discussing it with others, is your business of course. Discussing it here, bringing other people into the mix, brings its own risks of prosecution and spreads that risk to others who might otherwise be uninvolved.

Just my opinion - I don't represent the CSA, Ontario, Toronto, Ticketmaster, or the Voyageurs. But I'd ask you to think about the potential consequences.

Archived