Jamaica in Toronto - Official

For all the Ottawa and Montreal area Voyageurs: Westjet is having a $19 special to T.O. (runs until tomorrow).

It works out to about $150 incl taxes return plus having to overnight it there and the pain of getting downtown from Pearson but there you go...

I'm definitely going but work may require a detour to Europe the week before so may fly directly into Toronto on the day before the game.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

For all the Ottawa and Montreal area Voyageurs: Westjet is having a $19 special to T.O. (runs until tomorrow).

It works out to about $150 incl taxes return plus having to overnight it there and the pain of getting downtown from Pearson but there you go...

I'm definitely going but work may require a detour to Europe the week before so may fly directly into Toronto on the day before the game.

I'm looking at flying in with Porter and returning with Via Rail the next day (220$ combined), no hassle to get downtown for the game.

Edit: 6,000 posts, wheeeeeeeee!

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I'm all booked up for Toronto and Montreal.

So we're looking at 104/105 for sure? I was hoping to be in the south end, but I'll rock the north end if that's how it goes. So North End Elite are 126/127ish?

NEE are 127, Red Patch Boys are 111/112, U-Sector is 113.

If the Voyageurs get 104 as I expect they should, we'd have pretty decent coverage all over the stadium.

On a side note, I'm making travel plans for Montreal on Sept. 6, and I'm absolutely disgusted by the taxes and surcharges that airlines add on to ticket prices. I found a WestJet return fare to MTL for $70, with taxes and surcharges it leaps up to $250.

I'll probably take the train and save myself over $100.

Why bother advertising a $70 price then?

Obviously you're going to have to pay for gas regardless, so why don't they work it into their fare prices to spare people from the shock of seeing the price nearly quadrupled when all is said and done?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

NEE are 127, Red Patch Boys are 111/112, U-Sector is 113.

If the Voyageurs get 104 as I expect they should, we'd have pretty decent coverage all over the stadium.

On a side note, I'm making travel plans for Montreal on Sept. 6, and I'm absolutely disgusted by the taxes and surcharges that airlines add on to ticket prices. I found a WestJet return fare to MTL for $70, with taxes and surcharges it leaps up to $250.

I'll probably take the train and save myself over $100.

I just booked an hour ago on westjet for the weekend of that game and got a final price of 194$. There was a special deal today for Tor-Ott_Mon triangle of 19$.

What is insane is the prices to EDM. Looks like I'll have to rule that one out this time. There was good deals in 2004 though.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I just booked an hour ago on westjet for the weekend of that game and got a final price of 194$. There was a special deal today for Tor-Ott_Mon triangle of 19$.

What is insane is the prices to EDM. Looks like I'll have to rule that one out this time. There was good deals in 2004 though.

Just booked my plane tix for the sept 6th game in montreal![8D] will be my first game which required a plane to get to as opposed to a car lol. Westjet seemed the cheapest....

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

Just booked my flight.

Thanks JamboAl, I really appreciate the heads-up.

Well I got Regina-Montreal for $450 and Regina-Toronto for around $300 (which is amazing) but then the taxes just kill you . . . oh well. What can you do? It’s the price of chasing the dream. Edmonton has to come down. Right now it’s more expensive for me than Toronto was . . . I hope it does anyway.

Thanks Rudi. I knew who were where in the south end. It’s a shame I won’t be able to stand with you guys. I was looking forward to it. Oh well. We’ll try to hold up our end on the other side.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

For all interested in coming down from Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax and Quebec City - drop me a private line through my profile.

As previously menitoned, I work for Porter, so...ya know.

No miracles, but definitely a frinedly favour or two.

When (if ever) is Porter going to start flying to Moncton?

Won't happen. Quebec City and Halifax are only featured as summer destinations in terms of regular daily service. The brand is primarily driven by business travel so Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, New York, Boston, Chicago, etc... will form the heart of the network.

Looks like we may have a third in our party for the August 20 match. I will have to wait and see.

One interesting tidbit from the CSA, they told me that over 10,000 tickets are priced at $30 or cheaper. They are trying to keep prices low and friendly for the Canuck fans.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

And every plane from Toronto is full, or nearly full. Very difficult to get a decent price.

But please register your interest in attending. (I'll start a thread shortly on Edmonton travel.) If we are organized, we can do a group booking with a discount off of Air Canada's lowest price. Then it's just a question of waiting for the inevitable fall seat sale sometime in August. There are other possibilities, but that's the most reasonable for a mid-week game in Edmonton.

Also, don't forget to check out Sunwing, as another poster has mentioned. It's only $410 round-trip as of this posting, but requires a Tuesday and Wednesday night stay. :-(

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

One interesting tidbit from the CSA, they told me that over 10,000 tickets are priced at $30 or cheaper. They are trying to keep prices low and friendly for the Canuck fans.

{Sigh} Hopefully the only cheap tickets are the ones they are selling before July 14. Otherwise, wouldn't you think all we're doing is subsidizing the Jamaican fans lined up to buy tickets as soon as they go on-sale? If you accept the premise that the stadium will sell out on Day 1 (and maybe it won't) then Day 1 purchasers aren't worried about whether the price is $30 or $60 - whether they're Canadian fans or Jamaican fans. If there are Day 2 purchasers, then certainly this pricing approach should pay some benefits.

Perhaps the $30 rate is meant to encourage TFC season holders to pick up their options? But I would think that the CSA could do a separate price for TFC fans...in fact, I know Ticketmaster supports this option.

The good news is that they might carry that pricing concept over to Edmonton, where it is imperative to fill that upper-deck with inexpensive tickets. $20 seems reasonable to me, cheaper for youths. $30 is of course very reasonable too, but preferably for lower-deck tickets in Edmonton.

Kudos to the CSA for thinking "Support Our Team" first, "Balance the Budget" second. Hope they know what they're doing.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianTraveller

They haven't done anything, but if history is any guide then they will do something. It would be different if Mexico was going into qualifying overconfident, self-satisfied, complacent. Then you're hoping that in a short six-game series you can catch them napping and get enough points so that they can't catch up on the road at the end. Alas, Mexico lost one too many games this spring. They sacked the manager, put fear into the players that they will lose to Honduras again, and are even suggesting that Canada is good enough to compete with them. In other words, they know they're not good enough. With their talent, experience, and history at home, it's unlikely that they will take those home games for granted and give away points. It's also unlikely that they'll treat the road games as friendlies. Too bad, because I think Mexico could have been beaten too...might still be, but I wouldn't build a game theory strategy around it.

Actually they didn't lose many games this spring, they just looked out of synch in alot of them and didn't win by as many as they should have. Games like 0-0 vs. China and 2-0 vs. Belize do not strike fear in me. Of course, when they get embarassed like they did against Argentina they come back out and beat down Peru 4-0. Still, i think these guys can get frustrated and we're capable of getting 4 points from them.

That would be great - Mexico needing a result in San Pedro Sula would be a perfect scenario. But as you pointed out they believe they should have twelve points after four matches (their road game is against Jamaica and it's Game 2, early enough that they can't be complacent) and if they don't, they'll believe they can clinch against Canada. So as much as I'd love to see a draw against Honduras at Azteca, followed by a draw against Jamaica, and the dismissal of Sven-Goran throwing the entire team into disarray leading into the Canada match in Chiapas, I must put a low probability on that outcome.

So I'm focused on the high-probability scenario, and hoping to enhance it by asking Mexico to clinch early by winning all four games, three of which they already expect to win. Maybe Sven will send his players back to Europe if they clinch by beating Jamaica at home, and bring his 'B' team to Edmonton for our match? That'd be great for us. It would be just as unfortunate if he sent his 'B' team to Honduras, but I don't see how that can be avoided given the schedule. And at least we'll be in control of our own destiny in Kingston, needing to match whatever Honduras does in Game 6. Would have been nice to swap the Azteca game and the San Pedro Sula game - would have sorted out the group very quickly.

I think the bigger key is Jamaica having nothing to play for on MD6. If we can go into Kingston against a local XI then might not even need to worry about the other match going on that day.

But here's what i think, Mexico will win a close win at Azteca against Honduras on MD1. I think Jamaica are capable of drawing them in Kingston and we have a chance of stealing points in Chiapas. I could see Mexico with 8 or 10 points coming into Edmonton and i can see us still beating them. On October 15th the past 5 years the daytime high has been 18.6, 5.3, 10.4, 7.2 and 4.2. Unfortunately for the Mexicans this is going to be a night game. The nigttime lows the past 5 years have been 5.1, 1.7, 3.7, -1 and -2.6. We're looking at temperatures probably around 0C for this game, which going to make them shy to play a physical game. We can do this.

BTW - What if Mexico draws twice? They put all the pressure on themselves to win their next three games, assuming that they could lose/draw their final match. I don't need Mexico in must-win games when they play Canada. Now if you REALLY believe that Mexico can play three games, and have just three points to show for it, then I'm buying into your theory big-time.

I really hope the Hondurans don't draw or win at Azteca, although if they did they'd get all cocky which might benefit us in the next match.

But yeah, if Mexico has 2 points coming into Chiapas we're in trouble! And i could easily see them with 8 points when they come into Edmonton. Yet I still think we'll win in Edmonton. I have a good feeling about that game.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Why bother advertising a $70 price then?

Obviously you're going to have to pay for gas regardless, so why don't they work it into their fare prices to spare people from the shock of seeing the price nearly quadrupled when all is said and done?

Tell me about it, I was excited to see a low amount of $$$ for a plane ticket to Toronto but the taxes added more than a third onto my price!

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Tell me about it, I was excited to see a low amount of $$$ for a plane ticket to Toronto but the taxes added more than a third onto my price!

You think that's bad?

I just booked one of those $19 one-way flights from MTL to TO for the Honduras match (I'm taking the train into town), and the total cost came to $103. Each way.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Looks like we may have a third in our party for the August 20 match. I will have to wait and see.

hey WF you coming to the sept.6th game?

FROM RADIOJAMAICA WEBSITE

The BMO stadium in Toronto has been confirmed as the venue where Jamaica's national senior footballers will kick of their 2010 World Cup qualifying semi-final round against host Canada on August 20 beginning at 5:30pm Jamaican time.

The venue comes as welcome news to the Jamaica Football Federation as Toronto is home to a large Jamaican and Caribbean Diaspora.

Coach Rene Simoes revealed that while the overseas players will not be available until at least five days before the match, the local members of the squad will have three games before the first leg match against Canada.

The return home game against Canada is scheduled for November 11 but before that Jamaica is scheduled to host Mexico on September 5 and play away to Honduras on September 10 in the other two first leg matches.

JDG on the RPB's forum posted this a couple of hours ago; it will affect ticket sales:

quote:OK Everyone listen up. I have been speaking with the TFC Front office about the game, and this is what I have learned:

Ticket details have not yet been finalized by the CSA. News is expected shortly.

It is probable that we will able to purchase only through Ticketmaster.

Season Ticket Holders will have a pre-sale opportunity with password.

Toronto FC reps will not have access to tickets for this match.

Please do not call your rep with questions about this match, as they are not involved in any way.

Archived