Voyageurs $$$$

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

strobe_z's fifth image is something like my own idea: promoting the Voyageurs is all well and good, but if the thing isn't see-it-on-TV-style big and clear, it's not going to achieve a lot. And a Big Freakin' Maple Leaf is just the ticket for that.

Two concerns, though:

1) The design is still going to look a little 'soft' from distance. After all, if people in the Vs section are the only ones who can read it, there's no real point. Probably best to put dark outlines in there and darken the pentagons on the football so that they're more clearly visible.

2) A blank white field for a background is dull as ditchwater. Two red bars Canadian-flag style would help out, but I think a full red background would be better just to keep it looking distinctive. Maybe make it a darker shade - burgendy, say - to differentiate from the logo.

Just to show exactly what it is I'm talking about, an almost insultingly fast mockup based on strobe_z's fifth design. I barely even pretended to bother with getting the anti-aliasing right, but for showing in a thumbnail on a monitor as opposed to waving high overhead in a crowded stadium, it should suffice.

voyageursflagthumb.jpg[

(http://www.pommpie.com/images/voyageursflag.png for higher-resolution version with fewer glaring compression artifacts.)

BrennanFan, if this is something vaguely close to what you were talking about I'd like to hear it too. :P

I think it would be worth speaking with someone at BMO/MLSE about maybe mailing the distribution list with V's info. The benefit to them is more participation increase both the ticket sales for the WCQ and also raises the profile of the sport. The V's would stand to benfit by getting additional exposure and hopefully membership.

I think partnerships and utilitizing the people and resources within the group are essential. I think I've mentioned before about getting in touch with Richard Scott or someone at the CSA to get a big V's presence on the CSA site. Again, it's mutually benefical so just needs to be framed the right way. That would be a great place to locate an -eBrochure or the like as well as a link to here.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Got a quote.

A flag 4m x 4m would cost us $416. This is in addition to shipping, and the cost of the pole.

Are we holding off on this for a bit?

So with shipping and pole, how much, and again, is there duty ?

I think we should wait till we at least have the scarves in our possession. But on a financial level, no we won't wait.

How long will the flag take to make ? From order date to possession date ?

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

So with shipping and pole, how much, and again, is there duty ?

I think we should wait till we at least have the scarves in our possession. But on a financial level, no we won't wait.

How long will the flag take to make ? From order date to possession date ?

So we're using a lot of money to take the easy way out?

Sweet.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

So we're using a lot of money to take the easy way out?

Sweet.

Dude, no one is stopping you from making something.

For something that size, getting it professionally made is much better in terms of durability, ability to clean, and being light-weight. The rest of us DO have some experience in this stuff as well, you know.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

You guys do know that you are not allowed flag poles in fifa events right?

Sorry to rain on ur paraide or anything but im PRETTY sure you cant.

World Cup: the flag pole ban (1994-2002) was lifted for the 2006 WC

WCQ: no one says anything - someone had a hockey stick flag in MTL

Even if there isn't an official FIFA ban anymore, many venues do not accept flag poles to be brought into their stadiums. You would have to check with the individual facilities (a simple email might and probably will suffice) simply asking what their policy is regarding flagpoles.

That being said, couldn't the flag be made in such a way that you could slip it in and out of a flag pole with relative ease? It would probably cost more, need some kind of special pole or something, but I'm sure a seamstress could probably find a way to do it as far as the actual flag goes.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Dude, no one is stopping you from making something.

For something that size, getting it professionally made is much better in terms of durability, ability to clean, and being light-weight. The rest of us DO have some experience in this stuff as well, you know.

Ok, i was just pointing out using the group's 1300$ for maximum benefit.

Max benifit for 1 game sure, but try using your banners after a rain game or after 5 times in the bilstering sun. It fades, breaks down etc... i couldnt tell u how many times we have put our banners in the washing machine after a rain game.

Its well worth the extra money to get them professionally done, also yes rudi and myself know where zac got it made at. But you guys might not like the answer :P

Max benifit for 1 game sure, but try using your banners after a rain game or after 5 times in the bilstering sun. It fades, breaks down etc... i couldnt tell u how many times we have put our banners in the washing machine after a rain game.

Its well worth the extra money to get them professionally done, also yes rudi and myself know where zac got it made at. But you guys might not like the answer :P

They already know that it's coming from Poland :D

But yeah, given the number of rain games we've had here in TO this year (more than non-rain games so far), it's painfully clear that the professionally-made stuff is far better for long term use (a lot of our hand-made, painted banners have faded quite a lot already). That huge Canada flag that I brought to Montreal was soaked, and if it was hand-made there is no way it would have come out looking as well as it did after taking on an additional 20 pounds of rainwater.

As for the flag pole, I have no idea where Zac got that from. I'm sure he'll get back to you soon, BrennanFan.

I don't know how I did it but I managed to get the "Super Canucks" and the red and white checkered banners home after getting soaked during the pregame deluge.I got to the game early enough to get prime spots for them but as it turned out I should have waited until just before kickoff to hang them.

I don't think I'll make the Toronto match so if anyone wants those banners let me know.I'll get them shipped over,

BTW they are nice and dry now.:)

Solution:

No Washing machine.

Whatever, lets get some Pole to make us some flag with a beaver and a maple leaf on it and call it a day.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Does anyone know how to write "Heartbroken Yet Loyal" in Latin? [:o)]

Obviously the crest is what I put most of my time into, the Beaver image may need a bit of tweaking. It's strange how hard it is to draw a stylized beaver without making it look like a)the Roots logo, b)the Parks Canada logo, c)a High School team logo or, c)crap. I'm still debating on whether or not he needs ears or dental work.

Have a great picture of WW2 poster of Beaver. Heres the link I found online:

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/canadaww2/ig/Canadian-Posters-World-War-II/To-Victory-WWII-Poster.htm

Archived