Voyageurs $$$$

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few questions: what's the story with the Canada flag that was in Montreal? That was nice. How big was it?

No idea on the cost, but a giant flag (similar to what was at the World Junior hockey championships if anyone recalls that) would be great.

It sounds like we're talking a giant banner though? What are we thinking? A pro-Canada banner? a Voyageurs banner?Something 2010 specific or something more timeless?

I think it's a great idea btw.

Regarding spreading the word. Has anyone considered postering? Just a simple, but inspiring poster letting folks know that there's a WCQ coming up, it's going to be on this date and if you want to stand with these crazyfolks, you should come by the web site.

It's cheap and easy grass roots marketing and could help.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

A few questions: what's the story with the Canada flag that was in Montreal? That was nice. How big was it?

No idea on the cost, but a giant flag (similar to what was at the World Junior hockey championships if anyone recalls that) would be great.

It sounds like we're talking a giant banner though? What are we thinking? A pro-Canada banner? a Voyageurs banner?Something 2010 specific or something more timeless?

I think it's a great idea btw.

Regarding spreading the word. Has anyone considered postering? Just a simple, but inspiring poster letting folks know that there's a WCQ coming up, it's going to be on this date and if you want to stand with these crazyfolks, you should come by the web site.

It's cheap and easy grass roots marketing and could help.

cheers,

matthew

Rudi brought the big Canada flag.

We are looking at a flag. Not a banner that is tied up from the stands.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

It's about 30 feet long, not sure how wide (20 ft?).

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Obvious baiting attempts aside, we've made plenty of flags and banners from scratch, but none are as lightweight and durable as the polyester one we had manufactured.

Try waving a 13'x13' cotton or wool flag, see how long that lasts.

Our overhead banner was far bigger than the flag, cost about $120 for materials and paint, and weighed twice as much. That's fine for overhead when 300 people are holding it up, but for a hand-held flag on a pole, it's not going to fly (literally).

Just because I mentioned the word Montreal, doesn't mean I was baiting you.

I just dont see paying hundreds for manufacturing & shipping as a good investment.

Ok... I'm so all over this idea.

Here's what I think - we need to come up with a flag size first, then we can do some different designs and come to a decision.

I also strongly support the idea of making up a brochure to hand out at the games... ALL the games. Here's what I propose we do - a double sided 3 fold brochure that anyone and everyone could print out. The content should be something usefull for the fans (maybe line ups, player profiles or something) and some information on who the Voyageurs are, what we're up to and where to find us.

Business cards are a good idea too, but a brochure like this would be super-easy to print for anyone, and is more likely to have a longer shelf-life than a business card.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'd go more with TheVoyageurs.com .

I agree. I don't think most people realize that we have this domain name as well. It is more specific to us and is easier to remember than canadian-soccer.com, particularly with that hyphen in there.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I agree. I don't think most people realize that we have this domain name as well. It is more specific to us and is easier to remember than canadian-soccer.com, particularly with that hyphen in there.

Ya, I agree.

canadian-soccer.com sounds too generic.

Does anyone know how to write "Heartbroken Yet Loyal" in Latin? [:o)]

I came up with "The Voyage Is Long" on the spur of the moment, so I didn't really put a lot of thought into it. I was just trying to come up with something in the theme of "You'll Never Walk Alone"... but keeping it on target with the Voyageurs.

Obviously the crest is what I put most of my time into, the Beaver image may need a bit of tweaking. It's strange how hard it is to draw a stylized beaver without making it look like a)the Roots logo, b)the Parks Canada logo, c)a High School team logo or, c)crap. I'm still debating on whether or not he needs ears or dental work.

The rest of the images are basically just using Jarrek's original V-logo design.

The other symbols on the crest are the English Lion, the French Fleur-de-Lis and the International symbol of "Football"... all for obvious reasons.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

There is nothing stopping anyone from making their own flags and banners. In fact, I would encourage it.

I know which flags you are talking about in Montreal, I saw them at the Voyageurs Cup game vs Vancouver. By all means, make a few hardcore Canadian ones. They looked great in 114.

No, we didn't even bring the big ones to that game. We have stuff around the size of the Usector one, but all of their cost total is much less than what the Usector paid.

What I'm saying is, use the 1300 on materials to make our own! Imagine what we could end up with. We could have the best stock in North America with 1300k spent on materials.

And it isn't like it's lightweight, **** materials, we've had ours survive deluges, people stepping on them, harsh wind, and possibly even burns.

And it still looks new.

I think we should buy material.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

No, we didn't even bring the big ones to that game. We have stuff around the size of the Usector one, but all of their cost total is much less than what the Usector paid.

What I'm saying is, use the 1300 on materials to make our own! Imagine what we could end up with. We could have the best stock in North America with 1300k spent on materials.

And it isn't like it's lightweight, **** materials, we've had ours survive deluges, people stepping on them, harsh wind, and possibly even burns.

And it still looks new.

I think we should buy material.

Mpenza just brought up a good point to me, Our flags have been used 20+ times a year, over a period of many years, while the V's flags would be used 5-8 times/year max, with most of the time spent in storage.

It's obvious making our own would be best but if you all choose to go the easy route and order it, so be it, you know where I stand.

Also the money has been stockpiling since 2002? You've done nothing with 800 dollars for the entire existence of the UM02???? It's time to finally spend it on something, jeez. :D

We want to solve visibility issues? 10 flags would solve that better than 1, right?

I've always known this board as thevoyageurs.com and hope that's the URL to get promoted. Are we voting on designs? I like the Voyageurs crest that's quality. Back up vote for that beaver, simple and Canadian I like it.

I was kidding with that heartbroken crack... but "Dolor tamen Fidelis" does have a nice ring to it although I'm not sure we actually WANT to promote that aspect of being a Canadian fan... even though it's true.

@Soju - do you mean the shield design I came up with or the circle V-logo that Jarrek did. I'm not trying to suggest we shouldn't use Jarrek's great design, I was just going for something like an alternate mark.

If we've got the cash/manpower, we should use both (or others that may show up here...)

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

I was kidding with that heartbroken crack... but "Dolor tamen Fidelis" does have a nice ring to it although I'm not sure we actually WANT to promote that aspect of being a Canadian fan... even though it's true.

Then maybe something like "Fides Fidelitas quod Populus" which translates to Faith, Loyalty and the Nation.

Archived