Voyageurs $$$$

I have touched on this briefly in the past and it is now time to get to work on the next phase.

The posters are sold out and will raise $450-$500.

I also have in my possession approximately $800 from our original Voyageurs Cup fundraising drive in 2002. So we will be around the $1300 mark shortly.

Many have suggested that we need to raise our profile, and I completely agree. We have some nice banners, but no flag. Someone (Rudi?) quoted $500. The poster fundraising drive I just completed should look after that.

Does anyone have a problem if we move forward with this project quickly ? We still have cash in the kitty, but I would like to move fast. World War 3 is quickly approaching and I'm sure these flags take time to put together.

Thoughts, comments ?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one would be a canadian-soccer.com banner, I would suggest. Just so you get the visibility in the stadium and give people an ability to follow up after the games. this one should be quite a bit cheaper than the main banner.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Another one would be a canadian-soccer.com banner, I would suggest. Just so you get the visibility in the stadium and give people an ability to follow up after the games. this one should be quite a bit cheaper than the main banner.

Now's a good time because I feel like spending some cash !!

The one condition I'm putting out is that I will not be actually shopping for flags or banners. I simply want to cut someone a check, who will then follow through with the leg work. If the game was in Winnipeg, I would feel differently, but it makes more sense for someone else to step-up.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

How big a flag are we talking? Like the U-Sector flag? That thing is massive.

That was the idea.

In total, you're looking at around $600-700 for a flag that size (13 ft. x 13 ft.), plus shipping and the telescoping pole that is large (and strong) enough to accommodate it.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

That was the idea.

In total, you're looking at around $600-700 for a flag that size (13 ft. x 13 ft.), plus shipping and the telescoping pole that is large (and strong) enough to accommodate it.

So how much in total ?

And how long from order date to completion date ?

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

So how much in total ?

And how long from order date to completion date ?

The $600-700 figure I gave was in total. I don't know exactly how much, as it was another member of our group that spearheaded it.

From past dealings with our manufacturer, it will take approximately 4 weeks from the time you submit payment/design until the time you have the finished product. The flag pole was bought elsewhere, so I'm not sure about the timeline on that.

I'd suggest getting in contact with zacRWE, as he was the one behind the big flag project.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

I kind of like the logo in the upper Left-Hand corner. It would be more likely to attract attention.

My suggestion would be to hold a design contest. We have some very creative people on this board.

Oh and Mimglow, we're talking about a hand-held flag, not a banner that would be hung up on the railing. So don't go throwing anything out just yet. ;)

Love the flag, but I also think we need to find ways to convert more TFC fans to the Canadian cause. A brochure--simple design and simple in content--encouraging fans to come out to all the Canada games and sit with the rowdiest, most passionate and fun-loving soccer fans in the country might be good, along with our web address.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Love the flag, but I also think we need to find ways to convert more TFC fans to the Canadian cause. A brochure--simple design and simple in content--encouraging fans to come out to all the Canada games and sit with the rowdiest, most passionate and fun-loving soccer fans in the country might be good, along with our web address.

One possible strategy with this would be to arrive at a TFC game early and leave one on all the seats of the regular supporter sections (U-Sec, RPB, NEE etc.).

Assuming that the Jamaica game is at BMO and that we want as many of the TFC supporters as possible to come out for that game (while still leaving room for us Voyageurs to come from out of town and stand in the south end), you could put particulars on the brochure (ie. info about the game itself, what sections we are trying to consolidate, when tickets go on sale etc.)

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

One possible strategy with this would be to arrive at a TFC game early and leave one on all the seats of the regular supporter sections (U-Sec, RPB, NEE etc.).

Assuming that the Jamaica game is at BMO and that we want as many of the TFC supporters as possible to come out for that game (while still leaving room for us Voyageurs to come from out of town and stand in the south end), you could put particulars on the brochure (ie. info about the game itself, what sections we are trying to consolidate, when tickets go on sale etc.)

`

I honestly don't think you need to work on the TFC supporters groups. It's the 'regular' fans that need to be encouraged.

I can only speak for U-Sector, but for the Costa Rica friendly we sold out our block of 360 tickets (that one of our members bought on his own dime!) and had many more purchasing through the Ticketmaster pre-sale. And that was just a friendly! We're on board.

The RPB, although new to the scene, have embraced Canada extremely quickly, and I was delighted to see how many of them I recognized at the St. VAG game on Friday.

I do agree that the Voyageurs need to work with the TFC groups (and that is happening behind the scenes already), as this game may be the most important of the entire round.

The minute these games are officially announced, we'll have to kick it into overdrive. We can not being outshouted by any away fans at BMO Field, ever.

That was the idea.

In Montreal we made something bigger, for less than $100.

It's easier to make your own, passionate fans across the world make their own.

We could get more out of the money if we do that as well.

I honestly don't think you need to work on the TFC supporters groups. It's the 'regular' fans that need to be encouraged.

I can only speak for U-Sector, but for the Costa Rica friendly we sold out our block of 360 tickets (that one of our members bought on his own dime!) and had many more purchasing through the Ticketmaster pre-sale. And that was just a friendly! We're on board.

The RPB, although new to the scene, have embraced Canada extremely quickly, and I was delighted to see how many of them I recognized at the St. VAG game on Friday.

I do agree that the Voyageurs need to work with the TFC groups (and that is happening behind the scenes already), as this game may be the most important of the entire round.

The minute these games are officially announced, we'll have to kick it into overdrive. We can not being outshouted by any away fans at BMO Field, ever.

Cool. I knew most of U-Sector were on board but that's nice to hear that RPB is getting involved too. I too remember Franky shelling out all that cash for the CR game (and I mentioned that to WF too at Bar 99) and I was just trying to figure out ways around that so that one person isn't on the hook for so much. I also wanted to mention the NEE as it seems (from on tv at least) that they've got their act together.

Sometimes we wait around for the CSA to market and advertise upcoming games and Beaver's suggestion just got me thinking that we could be a little more proactive with some very targeted marketing. Just spitballin' ideas.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

In Montreal we made something bigger, for less than $100.

It's easier to make your own, passionate fans across the world make their own.

We could get more out of the money if we do that as well.

Obvious baiting attempts aside, we've made plenty of flags and banners from scratch, but none are as lightweight and durable as the polyester one we had manufactured.

Try waving a 13'x13' cotton or wool flag, see how long that lasts.

Our overhead banner was far bigger than the flag, cost about $120 for materials and paint, and weighed twice as much. That's fine for overhead when 300 people are holding it up, but for a hand-held flag on a pole, it's not going to fly (literally).

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Cool. I knew most of U-Sector were on board but that's nice to hear that RPB is getting involved too. I too remember Franky shelling out all that cash for the CR game (and I mentioned that to WF too at Bar 99) and I was just trying to figure out ways around that so that one person isn't on the hook for so much. I also wanted to mention the NEE as it seems (from on tv at least) that they've got their act together.

Sometimes we wait around for the CSA to market and advertise upcoming games and Beaver's suggestion just got me thinking that we could be a little more proactive with some very targeted marketing. Just spitballin' ideas.

No worries, the dialogue is appreciated as we're all looking for the same end result.

There are a few of us behind the scenes that are already planning this out, spearheaded by WF. Trust me when I say that the prospect of being outchanted/cheered at our home stadium is not sitting lightly with the TFC supporters groups.

There is nothing stopping anyone from making their own flags and banners. In fact, I would encourage it.

I know which flags you are talking about in Montreal, I saw them at the Voyageurs Cup game vs Vancouver. By all means, make a few hardcore Canadian ones. They looked great in 114.

As Rudi has said, we hope to make something that can travel around North America, South Africa for the next decade. This will cost money, hence my fundraising efforts.

Archived