How many soccer games have you seen in person?

Alberto7

On my way home from the WCQ game last night I was thinking about just how many games I have gone to see in person, so I thought I would start this thread.

Please breakdown the games you have seen by league, by National teams and other. Do not count games where you saw your 7 year old nephew play. Only structured pro or semi-pro as well as National and International competitions where you have seen the game at a stadium.

for me it breaks down this way:

USL</u>: 56 games (55 USL division 1/APSL/A-league games and 1 W-league game)

Canadian Soccer League </u> (the first one): 5 games

Coca Cola League 2</u>(England): 1 game

NPSL</u>(Indoor) : 7 games

Canadian National Team </u> : 3 games (2 MNT and 1 Men's Olympic team)

FIFA U-20 World Cup</u>: 4 games

Canadian National championships</u>: 2 games (1 Canada Games match, 1 u-17 championships game)

Misc</u>: 1 game from the Montreal Cup in 2001 (Ashdod FC against ??)

Grand total: 79 games seen in person

This has to be just about the geekiest thread ever - at least from an outsider's point-of-view (imagine what wives/gfriends would think, for instance) and yet the fact that I am responding tells you something:

Like my university career, my record is more breadth than depth:

Canada MNT: 6

NASL: 1

USL: 2

CSL (The only real one): 1 (the 86ers first ever game, incidentally)

Ecuador League: 10

Copa Libertadores: 1 (River Plate/Liga de Quito - maybe the best game I have ever seen)

J2:2

J1:1

Misc: Ecuador MNT vs America (Mexico) in Quito, Chelsea vs Celtic in Seattle

Not much of a total but a whole lot of good memories from a few different countries and leagues.

My record is pretty weak, especially on the MNT front. I've only seen one MNT match, a 0-0 draw with Cuba back in '99 (?) at the Winnipeg Soccer Complex.

On the pro side, I attended two Ajax matches in 2005, and at least one Winnipeg Fury match at Winnipeg Stadium, though likely more (youth soccer team freebies).

I'm still a student and too poor to travel far or often, but I am holding out hope that I can make a road trip to Edmonton work should Canada play there against Mexico in the next round.

Wow, my list is extensive....these are estimates.

English Premier League: 1 (Everton-Blackburn, 97)

English Premier League Youth FA Cup: 1 (Everton-Ipswich, 97 - ah, Danny Cadamarterie!)

CSL: 1 (the original CSL)

A-League: 86er's - at least 8

USL1: Whitecaps - at least 4

PDL Abby Rangers: 2

Exhibition: Manchester United v. Celtic (in Seattle)

Canada u20: 1

u20 World Cup: 7 (2007)

Men's National Team: at least 10

Youth: PRICELESS!

Basically, I am up around 35-40 off the top of my guess!......if you count youth games as a coach/player I am at around a thousand or so!

quote:Originally posted by nolando

This has to be just about the geekiest thread ever - at least from an outsider's point-of-view (imagine what wives/gfriends would think, for instance) and yet the fact that I am responding tells you something:

My wife doesn't mind that I attend soccer games. It's my passion dude!;)

Hmmm. Geography hasn't done me any favours.

MNT; 4 matches. Two in Winnipeg and two in Seattle.

U20s; just the 2 Canada matches in Edmonton. Whoops 3. Watched New Zealand-Mexico double header on "Rain Day" at Commonwealth.

PanAm Games; Caught all of Canada's fixtures, 4 I think, and probably 4 other games.

CSL ('87-'92 version); All told I might have missed 4 of the Fury's regular season & playoff matches, maximum. So what would that be? 60ish?

Hundreds of MMSL Premier division and MSA Cup matches over the years which on certain afternoons was way more fun than it sounds. Haven't been following the last couple of years because you can only squeeze so much blood out of a stone. Time can be a precious commodity.

Lost count a long time ago. been going to USL games since 2000. I attended anywhere from 11 to 13 games per year including the occasion Impact game. Been a season ticket holder for TFC and save for 2 or three games I have attened all including one road game and two in Boston in 2003 plus the two int'l friendlies TFC played against euro clubs . Had ticket package for the U20 WC. Saw Canada play in Miami, Boston, Ft Lauderdale, Edmonton, Montreal(versus Jam), Kingston Ont. also several Canada friendlies involving their youth national teams ( Arg twice, Scotland) .

I am sure I forgot several.

5 English Premier League matches all at Stamford Bridge

About 20 Scottish Premier League matches all at Easter Road

Canada v Scotland at Easter Road

Canada v Costa Rica at BMO Field

About 25 Toronto FC matches at BMO including international friendlies.

Toronto FC v Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo

Toronto FC v Columbus at Columbus in both 2007 and 2008.

About 5 local youth league or school matches

Total of about 60 matches or so seen live.

Not that my memory serves me well anymore, but this is as best as I can recall.

World Cup 2006: Saw two games at the Fan Fests, one in Munich, the other in Berlin- not included in the grand total

Canadian National Team : 2 or 3 games (WC qual in Edmonton)

Canadian National Team Exhibition: 2 games (Canada - Brasil in 94, Canada Brasil in 08)

1995 Canada Cup: 2 games

FIFA U-20 World Cup: 7 games (I think 4 group stage games, and 3 post-group games)

FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup: 8 games (might have been 10)

USL- Edmonton Aviators: At least 11 games (one in Calgary, almost all home games)

WLEAGUE Aviators: At least 2 games

NPSL Indoor Edmonton Drillers : At least 25 games (might have been more)

Portugal (Açores Division): 2 or 3 games (My dad would take me and my brother as kids to watch Santa Clara)

League 1 (France): 1 game (Paris St. Germain - Le Mans - I finally saw Pauleta play!)

Guatemalan League: 1 game (Municipal - Communicaciones derby - Juan Carlos Plata scored!)

Tanzanian Youth League Final: 1 game (Serengeti All-stars lost to the Polisi team)

Edmonton District Soccer Association: I've run my own team since 1999 and at the end of the 2007/2008 indoor season, we were at 298 games played if my math is correct. Of those, I missed a few through suspensions :) and holidays…..so I was present for at least 200.

Grand total: 64 pro games in person, countless amateur games

Guest Jeffery S.

A lot less than you'd think living here.

I have probably seen my neighbourhood Spanish 5th tier team --UE Poble Sec-- play 60 times, went ten times just this season. I have seen another 50 games of lower league teams third tier and down, including Barça B a dozen times at home a few more away, and Espanyol B maybe ten times. I have tried to go to most of the 2B and third division "stadiums" in greater Barcelona, am missing maybe two key ones. I only go to Camp Nou between 4 and ten times a year. Seen Espanyol 1st team maybe a dozen times. Lately I try to see something when I travel, been to two EPL games, one Championship (Pesch vs. Bircham), one League One (Hume at Tranmere). Only Regionalliga in Germany. Spain a couple times, only friendlies, like vs. Portugal in the Olympic Stadium. Canada maybe 3-4 times, latest vs. Spain in Santander, and a Peru match in Vancouver nearly 30 years ago, it seems it was a draw but in reality I don't remember.

Saw the Whitecaps maybe 40 times in the late 70s early 80s, then nothing until I was back in 2005.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

A lot less than you'd think living here.

I have probably seen my neighbourhood Spanish 5th tier team --UE Poble Sec-- play 60 times, went ten times just this season. I have seen another 50 games of lower league teams third tier and down, including Barça B a dozen times at home a few more away, and Espanyol B maybe ten times. I have tried to go to most of the 2B and third division "stadiums" in greater Barcelona, am missing maybe two key ones. I only go to Camp Nou between 4 and ten times a year. Seen Espanyol 1st team maybe a dozen times. Lately I try to see something when I travel, been to two EPL games, one Championship (Pesch vs. Bircham), one League One (Hume at Tranmere). Only Regionalliga in Germany. Spain a couple times, only friendlies, like vs. Portugal in the Olympic Stadium. Canada maybe 3-4 times, latest vs. Spain in Santander, and a Peru match in Vancouver nearly 30 years ago, it seems it was a draw but in reality I don't remember.

Saw the Whitecaps maybe 40 times in the late 70s early 80s, then nothing until I was back in 2005.

Started with the 1976 Olympic football games in Ottawa ..Korea was in the pool.. then the finals at the Big O... Various NASL games lots of Ottawa Tigers games at Lansdowne.. then the Pioneers.. mmm and of course the lateste Copa Liboradores .. Flu vs Boca Juniors.. and Fla FLU, then well the list goes on .. next major game .. Gremio vs Intenacional in Porto Alegre.. Olympico stadium.

Hard to get much better .. but still like the lower leagues in Brasil.. Remo, Moto Clube.. where the passion is real a visceral.

Even better in the small towns Bacabal... etc. kinda like Jefferys lower divisons...you can drink..have fresh roasted peanuts... see fireworks.. its a very exciting atmosphere and the soccer is fast and technical, with young players on the way up and old pros finishing out careers back in there first clubs.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Even better in the small towns Bacabal... etc. kinda like Jefferys lower divisons...you can drink..have fresh roasted peanuts... see fireworks.. its a very exciting atmosphere and the soccer is fast and technical, with young players on the way up and old pros finishing out careers back in there first clubs.

We don't get the old pros retiring to their former teams, perhaps because they get paid well if they have 1st or 2nd division careers and don't need to go home to finish off, they just retire. But we get the kids (we are talking pro or semi, so I am referring to 17-19 year olds) and of course that is one of the most satisfying things of all, to say you watched a current star when he was a kid.

Difficult to give a precise figure. I estimate it around 350, maybe a little more, including :

- almost all home games 9 seasons of my former belgian team in first division (RWD Molenbeek), 3 (4 but one year I went only to a few ones) + several games away + Belgian cup and one european cup (against Besiktas)

- lots of random belgian league and cup games for pleasure and for work (used to be soccer journalist there too) + some european cup games (from Bruges - Barcelona to Mouscron - Limassol or Anderlecht - Milan and the great campaign with the Koller - Radzinski duo)

- some Belgian national team games, and Canadian national team too (Gold Cup in Foxboro, Belize in Kingston, Jamaïca in Mtl and SVG a few days ago) + WNT (England and Brazil in Montreal)

- Köln - Duisburg end 2006

- World Cup 1998 Romania - Tunisia

- U20 in Montreal last year + a doubleheader in Ottawa

- Almost all home games of the Montreal Impact since mid-2002 + some away

- I didn't count lower belgian league games, Quebec elite soccer league or Cup, canadian amateur/youth championships (between provinces or clubs) nor CSL, nor W-League games nor youth national teams (saw the Concacaf U19 or U20 girls qualification and some random girls game against Germany) and even not friendlies of pro sides (in Belgium or Montreal Impact), and all what I'm forgetting now... else it would be easily over 400 I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Guestimates only

WC 06 : 2 - Tunisia - Ukraine & Germany - Argentina

Euro 04: 1 The final - Portugal - Greece ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

USL: 23 All Whitecaps

Serie A: 17 - 14 Inter, 2 at Juventus and 1 Milan ( Champions league vs. Celtic)...I support Juventus but i live beside San Siro so i watched Inter

MNT: 4 USA at the GC in Seattle, Guatamala and El Salvador in Vancouver, Against Scotland in Edinburgh

Man U. vs Celtic match in Seattle

U20 5 - 3 canada and 2 FIFA U20

I think that about covers it....OH!!! I saw Platinum Blonde play a local team 20 years ago, does that count?

Holy crap

English Div 1/ Premier/ CocaCola Championship probably 700+ Mainly Ipswich, but a few Colchester Utd & a few glamour matches, Manchester derby game 1980,

European Cup Winners Cup/ UEFA Cup 40+ (home & away) Mainly Ipswich but the odd West Ham game as well, Barcelona, St Etienne, FC Cologne, FC Grasshoppers, Innsbruck, Aris Salonika, Widzew Lodz, Bohemians Prague, FC Bruges, AZ Twente, Feyenoord.

FA Cup probably 40 including 2 FA Cup Finals & 5 Semi-Finals

League Cup/ Carling Cup/ Sinod Cup/ Milk Cup/ Ango-Italian Cup, Watney Cup/ Worthington Cup probably 80

England Full Internationals 10 or so

England B/ U21 10 or so

Friendlies/ Pre-Season Games 50 or so

Non-League 50 or so

Youth Team/ Reserve Games 100+

Canadaian Full Internationals 6

Canadian U20 4

Vancouver Whitecaps 70 ish

I really am just guessing at most numbers but this is over a 34 year period

Next Goal...a World Cup game

- about 20 impact games

- 6 U-20 games in montreal

- 2006 world cup Spain vs Saudi Arabia

- Scottish First division Partick thistle vs Ross county

- 1 Canada game vs St. vag

- 1 epl game Sunderland vs Tottenham

- 3 Coca Cola Championship games all preston games

- 2 Carlisle united games

- 10-15 lower league games in england

I've only been to a handfull. :(

Ireland V Greece (Friendly, 2000).

UCD V Some Bulgarian Club (Intertoto Cup, 2000).

Derry City V St. Pats Athletic (Setanta Cup, 2006).

Derry City V Armenian Club (Champions League qualifier, 2007).

- 4-5 Toronto Blizzard games back in the early 80's (including friendly vs. Juventus)

- Canada-Italy U16WC in 1987.

- Brock vs. UWO in '95

- approx. 10 Toronto Lynx games between '96-'98

- 8 CMNT (Jamaica X 2 ('95&'99), Iran '97, Guatemala '99, T&T '00, Mexico '00, Costa Rica '07, St.VAG '08)

- 6 Canada U20 (Bolivia '98, USA X 2 ('06&'07), Argentina X2 ('07&'08), Chile U20WC)

- 3 other U20WC (USA-Uruguay, USA-Austria and Argentina-Chile)

- 15 Toronto FC games in 2007 (13 MLS and 2 friendlies), edit: forgot-> Chicago Fire vs. Miami Fusion Aug. '99 at Soldier Field

- 1 Costa Rican game in '07 (Saprissa vs. LD Alajuelense)

- 2 German games in '08 (Bochum (Imhof) vs. Stuttgart, B. Moenchengladbach (Friend) vs. St Pauli (JBB on bench))

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

On my way home from the WCQ game last night I was thinking about just how many games I have gone to see in person, so I thought I would start this thread.

for me it breaks down this way:

USL</u>: 56 games (55 USL division 1/APSL/A-league games and 1 W-league game)

Just out of curiosity, how do you remember that you went to 56 USL matches?

For me, not too many:

Gold Cup: 1

U-20 World Cup: 2

World Cup: 1

European Championship: 4

MLS: 1

Coppa Italia: 1

Eredivisie: 5 or so

UEFA Champions League: 2

UEFA Cup: 1

Chilean Apertura - Univ. de Chile v Universidad Catolica: 1

Pre-season friendlies: 5 (I think)

Impact: probably around 80

Europe clubs: FK Sarajevo, PSG, US Créteil, Réal Bétis, Sigma Olomouc

Internationals (non-Canadian): Belgium-Spain (WCQ), Tunisia-RDC (pre-ANC friendly, called off at 66' because of a pitch invasion*), Cameroon-France and Egypt-Morocco (Francophonie)

World Cup: Ecuador-Costa Rica (2006)

Canada: @ Wales, @ Luxembourg, @ Austria, vs T&T, vs Jamaica, vs SVG, vs Cuba (GC)

U20 WC: 8 games in Montreal

Around 105 total

* Edit: here's the Tunisia-RDC pitch invasion in Paris:

tun2.jpg

There was Morocco-Cameroon that was to be played in the same stadium two days later that was moved behind closed doors.

Archived