Roster for CR

loyola

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Hume is not really a poacher (I'd say Ali is our best poacher). His specialty is long-range efforts and free kicks.

The best I've seen Canada play is when Friend has been up top as a pivot. That being said, we haven't seen Occean in a while and he hasn't really shown what he can do with the NT.

Mostly agree. Hume seems to blossom if given a bit of space. He can make his own, no doubt, but he seems to have more alternatives if he has a bit of elbow room right from the get go. With or without the ball.

Works really well to in being part of that "second line" of attack which can screw up defences.

Rob Friend is my target. And would take Big Kev over Occean but I think McKenna has finally settled into a centre half role. He'll trot up for corners but his striker days are done.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly think that if you are going to play Hume as a striker it should be beside another one, as that gives him more space to collect & run with the ball (a la the Gold Cup semi-final). I don't think playing him behind Ali (ie. against Iceland) really worked. I think you could play Hume alongside any of the bigger strikers, although I also think that Ali isn't really & out & out target man and you could play him alongside either Occean (which has happened twice, helping to produce 3 goals in a game & a bit) and Friend (which has never happened to my knowledge, except maybe at the U20 level many years ago).

Guest Jeffery S.

Agreed that Hume needs to play alongside someone else, and works well in the middle and behind a more target man type of striker. He is a decent passer, knows how to play the ball out to the wings, moves well off the ball. And has that good long shot if he gets a few yards at the top of the box. He is also fast, or uses the speed well.

Problem with that type of striker is that he forces you to use a 4-4-2, perhaps losing the wings, while we are going for a more 4-3-3 lately.

For now I think Occean should be in the middle, De Ro and Radz on the wings, Julian and Atiba behind them, with someone holding, the spot I am not clear on.

My best guess:

..........Lars

Stalteri Hainault Serioux Jazic

.........Imhof

Radz Hutch Deguzeman DeRo

.......Friend/Occean

I've put Serioux at the back and Imhoff in front of the defenders but those two could switch, I've left off Brennan because of his ribs, he has the iron man thing going with TFC, don't think that will continue with the nats, his presence is his indication of commitment to the program, no need to start - sub for Jazic maybe.

Friend and Occean will each get a half, they are the only obvious direct competition for a spot in this camp, either could start. I don't see the rest if the starters as being that controversial. Bernier as a sub in front of the defenders, Hume for Radz and Issey/Gerba for DeRo. The others are there in case of injury or promises to the respective managers to play for a half only.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Why is David Edgar not in the squad..? One of your most promising players in the future and he's not here. Is he injured or is he not willing to travel..??

He is 20 years old and hasnt had a single cap yet. I find that quite shocking...

Really?

Keep in mind this is a player who has played less than 10 competitive matches in his club career.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Really?

Keep in mind this is a player who has played less than 10 competitive matches in his club career.

That doesnt matter. You can clearly see that he has got the talent...

I can name enough players who have played for my Holland with also less than 20 games. Hedwiges Maduro only had 35 minutes of Dutch Premier League experience before he got a call-up...:D

You should let those guys get the experience they need. Also the fact that Canada doesnt play an awful lot of games means that you just need him playing. He will be a part of the WC Squad in 2010 and thats the goal you should be working towards...

As a smaller nation it's vital that you give the youth a lot of chances like Holland does.

Especially as it's a friendly there is no point in leaving him out and selecting a 34 year old Radzinski who will/should have no part to play towards the eventual goal..

Especially as it's a friendly there is no point in leaving him out and selecting a 34 year old Radzinski who will/should have no part to play towards the eventual goal..

You mean one of our most dangerous players, for a competition that starts next year? Yeah, he should have no part in it!

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

You mean one of our most dangerous players, for a competition that starts next year? Yeah, he should have no part in it!

He shouldnt....He will have no part to play in the World Cup so no point in putting him on. Especially not in a friendly....

He's an old head who is holding back the future. Making steps forward is not gonna happen with a 34 year old who is going to be 37 when the World Cup starts.

He shouldnt....He will have no part to play in the World Cup so no point in putting him on. Especially not in a friendly....

He's an old head who is holding back the future. Making steps forward is not gonna happen with a 34 year old who is going to be 37 when the World Cup starts.

That's a stupid comment considering we almost never qualify for the WC. We have to take it one year at a time and play our best players at every game. We know that Radz might not be there in 2010, but he's still valuable at this time and could likely help us getting to the hex more than David Edgar.

If we were Brazil I would understand your comment but we're Canada and cannot start giving minutes to youngsters just for development purpose. If he's good enough to contribute, play him if not play another player.

I can name enough players who have played for my Holland with also less than 20 games. Hedwiges Maduro only had 35 minutes of Dutch Premier League experience before he got a call-up...:D

You should let those guys get the experience they need. Also the fact that Canada doesnt play an awful lot of games means that you just need him playing. He will be a part of the WC Squad in 2010 and thats the goal you should be working towards...

As a smaller nation it's vital that you give the youth a lot of chances like Holland does.

I thought you might bring up some Dutch examples. The thing is, the Oranje are a whole lot more eager to play youngsters than Canada, or your average MNT side. With Canada, we don't call someone up as soon as they've made the field for Ajax, like the Dutch seem to do (Babel, Maduro, etc.)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

That's a stupid comment considering we almost never qualify for the WC. We have to take it one year at a time and play our best players at every game. We know that Radz might not be there in 2010, but he's still valuable at this time and could likely help us getting to the hex more than David Edgar.

If we were Brazil I would understand your comment but we're Canada and cannot start giving minutes to youngsters just for development purpose. If he's good enough to contribute, play him if not play another player.

Why is that a stupid comment..? You need to be as strong as possible in the WC Qualifiers and World Cup. You could easily qualify but you need to do that with youngsters. Your old guns havent given you any succes and it would be extremely foolish to ''try it again'' with Radz. He's had his moment more than enough...

You should exactly be given youngsters a chance at this time. You want to have a very strong team in a few years time to qualify for the 2010 or 2014 World Cup and you can only do that with youngsters...

Keeping talented youngsters out of the squad will set you back a few years because now is the time that you can catch up on teams who dont give their youngsters the needed experience. If you keep playing guys of 20 years old now or younger they will know all about International Football at the age of 24 and you just mature them earlier and this also progresses his chances at Club level.

We say in Holland. If their good enough , their old enough. David Edgar certainly has got the talent , we all know that. So it's extremely stupid to keep him out.

Why do you think we = Holland are so succesful even though we are a very small country and only have halve the population of Canada and a lot of other countries in the world..??

We give youngsters chances at a very young age. We have a lot of 18 year olds playing regularly in our league and some 17/16 years olds as well. And if you can clearly see that he has got a lot of potential he gets a call-up to the NT.

Wesley Sneijder , Rafael van der Vaart , Ibrahim Affelay , Arjen Robben , John Heitinga , Ryan Babel have all made their debuts before they turned 20....

We only have a handful of player over 30 in our whole squad and only Van der Sar and Van Brockhorst are regulars because we need to have youngster progressing.

European Midfielder of the Year and 4/5 times Champions League winner Clarence Seedorf cant get a starting place in the Dutch team because Sneijder / Van der Vaart have the future.

Even if you dont put David Edgar into the team. Just call him up....It's invaluable experience that you are giving him by just being with the squad that other guys from other countries dont get. That's one advantage/step you can already get over other countries and that's not too difficult is it..?

David Edgar was called for the Iceland game and was with the squad despite not playing in that game. I guess our coach feels like he'll be better serve this time by staying at Newcastle while he can look at other players....

How many guys over 30 do we have in this squad??? Only 4 out of 20 players.....

And if you would know something about Canadian soccer you would know that bringing to many inexperienced youngsters in the squad is what cost us in 2004 WCQ.

David Edgar was called for the Iceland game and was with the squad despite not playing in that game. I guess our coach feels like he'll be better serve this time by staying at Newcastle while he can look at other players....

How many guys over 30 do we have in this squad??? Only 4 out of 20 players.....

And if you would know something about Canadian soccer you would know that bringing to many inexperienced youngsters in the squad is what cost us in 2004 WCQ.

I didnt see David Edgars name on Wikipedia which has your full sqaud that was selected against Iceland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team

And why would the coach think that it's better for him to stay at Newcastle when 80% of the Newcastle sqaud is on International Duty and practice sessions are just fun and games...?? Edgar has the potential to be Canada's best defender so Cap him and give him experience.

And about the 2004 WC Qualifiers...Can you tell who they were , how old etc...and how good are they know..? I would like to know about that..:)

I didnt see David Edgars name on Wikipedia which has your full sqaud that was selected against Iceland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team

And why would the coach think that it's better for him to stay at Newcastle when 80% of the Newcastle sqaud is on International Duty and practice sessions are just fun and games...?? Edgar has the potential to be Canada's best defender so Cap him and give him experience.

And about the 2004 WC Qualifiers...Can you tell who they were , how old etc...and how good are they know..? I would like to know about that..:)

Jaime Peters, 17 yrs old. Josh Simpson 20 yrs old. They were called at the expense of much better and experienced players.

Edgar was in Iceland.

Edgar would not play if he was called, that's why I guess the coach prefers him to stay with his club instead of coming here and taking the place of another player the coach wants to see.

Because Edgar is one of our best prospect doesn't mean that he's ready to compete yet, we aren,t the dutch and our young players are rarely MNT material at 20 yrs old.

BTW, one of our MNT starting central defenders is Andrew Hainault born in 1986 so I guess we're doing what you're saying we aren't doing by giving him, Ledgerwood, Wagenaar, Johnson, Peters and Harmse some playing times with the MNT....

Radz will play his ass off and shine for us in crucial qualifiers, watch for it. We have others who can play his position when he's too old to continue, it's not going to be a problem. The Yallop experimental roster days are hopefully over. Start the best 11 now, every time, and make essential changes as needed not changes out of curiosity.

Really !!! I guess that I am blind then.. and you ( Mr. " we are suppose to beat Iceland by at least two goal" )have actually seen him play have you? Meanwhile those of us who have actually seen play as a U20 ( in two U20 WC's)on several occasions know nothing.

There is no one from the recent U20 that is ready for a jump to the senior side right now. That should have been apparent by the results and their play this summer. But I guess that wont matter if you want to be stubborn.

Exactly. We support all our players and we wish them all the best. Especially a player like him because he sounds like a first rate gentleman. But to be very frank, right now, I have not seen anything on the pitch to suggest that he is senior national team material. Of course, that could change. Lets see him get established as a professional first.

Hmmm... on the Edgar issue, I've got to disagree with SCF08, I don't think he's really needed. 1. To travel to Canada.

2. He likely wont see the field because we have more experience like Imoff or Pozniak who also are reserve players who move into those roles and need game action too.

3. I don't think he was aweful in the U20's but he certainly didn't force his way into the spotlight in any way.

Now I do think that calling up youngsters, like the Dutch do, for friendlies isn't a bad idea. So for the Island squad, having European based guys to join the squad in reserve positions instead of Harmse, Braz, Pozniak etc... in North America makes some sense, but I'd say for friendlies.

I agree with Loyola that putting a lot on the shoulders of younger players in WCQ didn't work out in the end. Already we've seen the response to public pressure in the U 20 tourny of Edgar, Peters, etc...

I will agree more with SCF08 that Radz certainly has his limits. I'm not a huge fan. I think moving on in that possition is important. Clearly, Edgar wont replace him, and I'd look to the attacking options we've called up to find a replacement eventually. That said Radz is skillful and as long as he EARNS his place in the side and is willing to play for Canada then lets use his talents. I don't agree that he shouldn't be called up if he's unlikely to be there in 2010. If he can help us qualify that's enough.

I suppose I seem rather contradictory with Radz but I'm on the fense with his inclusion. I can see both SCF08 and Loyola et al points of view on Radz.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Really !!! I guess that I am blind then.. and you ( Mr. " we are suppose to beat Iceland by at least two goal" )have actually seen him play have you? Meanwhile those of us who have actually seen play as a U20 ( in two U20 WC's)on several occasions know nothing.

There is no one from the recent U20 that is ready for a jump to the senior side right now. That should have been apparent by the results and their play this summer. But I guess that wont matter if you want to be stubborn.

I have seen Edgar play yes on several occasions with Newcastle and once with U20. Every little bit of Euro football or youth football is broadcasted here in Holland.

And do you think it's fair to judge him on his U20 performances..? He was playing in a extremely inexperienced team with a inexperienced manager who shouldnt be the MNT boss. You might not think that Edgar is good enough to play now as someone else is better but Edgar WILL be better than the guys that are playing now in defence.

That's why you should play him. Give him more experience/confidence and you can make him a better player by giving him International games at a young age. This might help him secure a place at Newcastle as well...

Van Basten hasnt played Mark van Bommel and Ruud van Nistelrooy for over a year (Ruud has played the last game) and Clarence Seedorf is struggling just because we want to have the best possible team in the future that can win things.

You can only get an advantage over other countries by giving the youth a chance and help them progress and mature at a earlier age. Thats what will make them better players in the end.

I think it's ashame that you and your MNT boss dont acknowledge that.

To balance the discussion a little on Edgar, I would have liked to see him get some time in Iceland and yes, I agree that he is one of the future key players for Canada. However, I don't think that this game in Toronto would be the place for him to make his debut. In fact, his opportunity may actually be that others at Newcastle on international duty during this break may not be as ready to play as Edgar will be in Newcastle's first game after the break. The reality is that the EPL game would more than likely be a higher quality game than the Canada - Costa Rica game.

At the same time, I will be concerned if his first cap is a World Cup qualifying game.

On the Dutch, Van Basten hasn't impressed me as a Coach yet. His youth movement, while uncovering some new players, hasn't really led to superior results yet. At some point, you need to play your best players.

Just heard a news report on FAN590.

The MNT is in training at Upper Canada College in Toronto.

Ante Jazic is definitely out for Wednesday's match. His injury makes him unable to play.

Interestingly, it sounds like the international man of mystery (or should I say International man of mysterious injury) Lars Hirschfeld IS TRAINING with the team.

Let the speculation begin...will he start?

Archived