Toronto v. LA [R]

BrennanFan

This is the best game i seen lombardo played . But it does not mean he is a good player. From being the worst , yesterday he was actually average. Xavior handle him pretty well , you could tell that lombardo needs to hit the gym . The main problem with lombardo is that he is not good on the one on one ; he can not drible the ball close to his feet , therefore loosing it. furthermore Toronto FC does not have a player that can cross the ball or do the through passes for lombardo which makes it harder for him to score a goal, and obviously expose how weak lombardo is on the one on one.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main thing we should focus on with Lombardo is improvement. He's still young and has a long way to go in his career. Ideally he'd be coming off the bench if he was in action at all, but we're forced to play him with the injuries we have.

He sucks he needs more then help. He is overated and a want a be. I certainally dont want to buy much time in taking about him. Maybe thats why Italy got rid of him he cannot score a ****** goal. give it up for MO as the only one that believes he can score., Toronto will not win another game again this season. and as for Beckham he just might as well go back to Spain or MAN U.. I spent $100 for tickets to see the jerk and he does nto even dress for the game. I demand a refund.

you spent 100 dollars to watch beckham play? are you light on your feet like landy cakes or something? you got to see a great game, Toronto FC play a GREAT GAME, could have been better but I was on the edge of my seat all game AT HOME. What kind of fickle douche bag pays 100 bucks to watch 1 person play....

quote:Originally posted by newby

Toronto will not win another game again this season. and as for Beckham he just might as well go back to Spain or MAN U.. I spent $100 for tickets to see the jerk and he does nto even dress for the game. I demand a refund.

In sports, sometimes players get injured. Why should he risk worsening his injury or making himself look stupid out on the pitch because he's not fully fit? Next month he's scheduled to play 2 games at Wembley in front of 90,000 people in games that really matter. But he should risk all that because you spent $100?

Canada

121 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 : 11:27:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think benching Lomabardo is the answer here. There is time and money invested in him not only with TFC but also the National Team..........you can be as good as you want with your feet or head, as Gian Luca mentioned but you right the bottom line is scoring goals when they count, and right now he lacks that in a huge catergory for the past 2 to 3 years with ony 3 goals in games that count. does not show that he should be talk about highly and your right I can agree with you to be displeased with his position and performances so far. But I think your wrong about dropping him back to mid. I think if you put him in Midfield I think you find another type of player (Lombardo) that will work well for a strong and Mature Striker and also players along side of him as midfielders. His attributes, as a feedeer and a playmaker should not go un noticed for today, for a sacifice of a goal a year or two he is worth that 10 times as a midfielder maybe 10 goals for another striker, what tommorrow brings is another thing maybe in couple of years he just be the huge striker he wants to be.

BigBird -- I see your point re midfield in that without doubt Lombardo has great vision and his through-balls are excellent. In that, I see a little bit of Eidur Gudjohnsen or however you spell it, i.e. a big strong striker/midfielder type of player with great vision. I don't think that Lombardo will ever be the next Batistuta, but certainly Gudjohnsen type of player he might develop into. However, to do that, he absolutely must improve his fitness, strenght on the ball and one-on-one skills. Playing in mid you gotta train differently than playng striker in that you do not need the explosiveness that much compared on constant movement. You can't have it both ways.

I agree that Mo might not have had a choice in playing him tonight, but what I'm afraid is that Lombardo, even if he plays on top seems til the rest of the season, seems to stagnate for me in terms of fitness and one-on-ones skills.

He cannot be a Batistuta, that is clear, he simply does not have that killer instict and trying to play one puts the wrong type of pressure on him.

The worst that can happen ironically is that he scores a couple of goals and the pressure is a little off of him and the next year the same thing, making him the perennial prospect in developlment.

I am not sure what his regimen, etc. is, but strenght, one-on-one skills, sorely lacking.

He sucks he needs more then help. He is overated and a want a be. I certainally dont want to buy much time in taking about him. Maybe thats why Italy got rid of him he cannot score a ****** goal. give it up for MO as the only one that believes he can score., Toronto will not win another game again this season. and as for Beckham he just might as well go back to Spain or MAN U.. I spent $100 for tickets to see the jerk and he does nto even dress for the game. I demand a refund.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hey he might not be a natural finisher, but the amount of work he did off the ball yesterday was very admirable - and for a 20 yr old he did it pretty good trying to hold up the ball and use it. Let's not trash the guy; we could get about 5 Lombardos for Welsh's salary after all and he didn't even start.

I don't get how people repeat he is 20, he is 20. Well, Welsh is what 23, so, do we keep saying he is 23, he is 23...

What was the excuse for the U20 performance -- everyone else was 20!?

If you want to play with the men, you have to be better than the boys.

quote:Originally posted by putkaputka

I don't get how people repeat he is 20, he is 20. Well, Welsh is what 23, so, do we keep saying he is 23, he is 23...

What was the excuse for the U20 performance -- everyone else was 20!?

If you want to play with the men, you have to be better than the boys.

I agree with you. I dont have a problem with lombardo , I just hate the fact that he is so overrate like he was the next batistuta.. he has not show anything special to me, not in toronto fc , not in the under 20 tournament... He is just an average player and thats about it no more or less for his age..

quote:Originally posted by putkaputka

Canada

121 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 : 11:27:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think benching Lomabardo is the answer here. There is time and money invested in him not only with TFC but also the National Team..........you can be as good as you want with your feet or head, as Gian Luca mentioned but you right the bottom line is scoring goals when they count, and right now he lacks that in a huge catergory for the past 2 to 3 years with ony 3 goals in games that count. does not show that he should be talk about highly and your right I can agree with you to be displeased with his position and performances so far. But I think your wrong about dropping him back to mid. I think if you put him in Midfield I think you find another type of player (Lombardo) that will work well for a strong and Mature Striker and also players along side of him as midfielders. His attributes, as a feedeer and a playmaker should not go un noticed for today, for a sacifice of a goal a year or two he is worth that 10 times as a midfielder maybe 10 goals for another striker, what tommorrow brings is another thing maybe in couple of years he just be the huge striker he wants to be.

BigBird -- I see your point re midfield in that without doubt Lombardo has great vision and his through-balls are excellent. In that, I see a little bit of Eidur Gudjohnsen or however you spell it, i.e. a big strong striker/midfielder type of player with great vision. I don't think that Lombardo will ever be the next Batistuta, but certainly Gudjohnsen type of player he might develop into. However, to do that, he absolutely must improve his fitness, strenght on the ball and one-on-one skills. Playing in mid you gotta train differently than playng striker in that you do not need the explosiveness that much compared on constant movement. You can't have it both ways.

I agree that Mo might not have had a choice in playing him tonight, but what I'm afraid is that Lombardo, even if he plays on top seems til the rest of the season, seems to stagnate for me in terms of fitness and one-on-ones skills.

He cannot be a Batistuta, that is clear, he simply does not have that killer instict and trying to play one puts the wrong type of pressure on him.

The worst that can happen ironically is that he scores a couple of goals and the pressure is a little off of him and the next year the same thing, making him the perennial prospect in developlment.

I am not sure what his regimen, etc. is, but strenght, one-on-one skills, sorely lacking.

The comparison with Gudjohnsen is excellent. This is the type of player he should be striving to be like. You're right in that he just doesn't have theat killer instinct like a Batistuta or a Crespo.

poor little baby didn't see becks!!!!

Yea but he's not scoring, which is the main idea in his position. Im also getting tired of the age excuse, when youre a pro youre either good enough or youre not, age is not the issue and he should not be given a break bc he's young. 20 is old enough in soccer terms anyway, this aint hockey.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Yea but he's not scoring, which is the main idea in his position. Im also getting tired of the age excuse, when youre a pro youre either good enough or youre not, age is not the issue and he should not be given a break bc he's young. 20 is old enough in soccer terms anyway, this aint hockey.

I'm a bit discouraged that Lombardo hasn't scored more, but 10 games is a bit early to be writing off a player. Heck, world class strikers go through scoring droughts of half a dozen or more games all the time. It would be nice if TFC had more options, or if there were other promising young Canadian strikers out there, but that's not Lombardo's fault.

True, it would appear that Lombardo is snake bitten. Or, he doesn't have the scoring touch. Depends on your perspective I guess. But just to remind everyone, he did score against Aston Villa.

The hope is that he will find it eventually and, he is getting chances. So all is not lost. If it ( the drought) continues into next year, we will have to wonder about his prospects at this level. But for the time being, it is his first shot at the pro level and like anyone in his age level, he deserves a chance to develop.

Some will correct argue that the recent U20 WC proved that age should not be a barrier. Fair enough, but we don't really know much of the environment and competition that he played in previously aside from the fact that it was amateur level. Indeed, the rigors of the Italian development system will help any player but we dont know the day to day challenged that he would have had to face while there or how he was used by the coaches. Whereas, right know I am confident in the fact that he is surrounded by the right people. You can learn quite a bit from people like Danny Dichio and Mo Johnston. The fact that his head coach was once a world class striker has got to help.

The U20 was a show case of world class talent, so its unfair compare any of our U20's ( including Lombardo) to world class talent given the lack of development system that we "currently" face.

Plus, at this time, LOmbardo appears to be all that we have.

Toronto played good, not great, but good. LA Sucked.

Toronto has a few injuries, yes. This compounded with the salary cap makes it difficult to get a deep roster.

Does anybody know how this salary cap works? IS it based on TV Revenue? or gate receipts for the league?

Does anybody know why Toronto has not signed a Designated player?

Archived