FC or TFC.....the Fans will Decide

Gian-Luca

I fired him a quick email:

Cathal,

Good topic!

'Real' Toronto FC fans (the fan clubs) are pretty much unanimous in their disdain for 'FC'....

"How did Football Club do last night?" C'mon!

Even before the PR announcement, TFC has been adopted by the true 'tifosi'. I would suggest you guys (the press) keep up with the mindset of the supporters, because eventually one source will become the 'unofficial' voice of Toronto FC, and it won't be one that uses "FC".

Cheers!

Lino Terra, Editor

OntarioSoccerWeb.com

How dare Cathal Kelly and The Star give TFC publicity! Don't they know they're not supposed to?

/end craziness

And I tend to agree with everyone. TFC just seemed so much more natural, and flows off the tongue easier for some reason. I never thought about what to call them. It just came naturally. Seems it did for so many others, too.

I have no idea how "Hey Al, you catch FC last night?" is more natural than "Hey Al, you catch TFC last night?". That makes no sense. I guess maybe if you have no idea what FC actually stands for.

Also, Cathal, TFC and FC are abbreviations and not acronyms. You just got served-grammar style.

Did any of you guys see or get the announcement from TFC listing various location to watch TFC play the opening game.These venues include the Duke Of Gloucester which I will be at.The announcement by the club includes a recommendation that you get there early.Boy this is a big fat first not just one venue but if I recall about 5 including Scally Wags.Carling is the sponsor as well.

Four locations, John. The others are the Elephant & Castle (at King and Simcoe) and the Madison (Bloor, east of Spadina) - the latter being the choice for the U-Sector crowd. Although kick-off time is not until 10:30 p.m., getting there early is good advice for any popular pub on a Saturday night and the Madison is in the middle of UoT territory. Add in the fact that there is a critical Toronto/Montreal hockey game at 7:00 p.m. and it could be a very busy place.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I must say that this "TFC or FC" debate is the most

ridiculous issue I've ever come across this board.

It's TFC, for crying out loud. Where did the 22% FCers

come from?

It started because the star was running headlines on the Toronto FC stories that used the abbreviated "FC". One or more people on the soccer forums ( U sctor) disapproved and wrote in to the star.

I have to agree though, It is one of the more ridiculous issues that I have come accross as well. I dont think that it sheds a positive light on the soccer fans. Makes us look immature.

But as I look at the way L.T. argued the case, I have begun to see his point.

To be very honest i don't even like TFC. I have been using it,seems easier to write, but I really believe that Toronto F.C makes a lot more sense.It may be to late to change it to Toronto FC but this FC business is crap.Kind of makes me think of all these crazy names in the NHL.Predetors,Blue Jackets and others. Give the city name first,hey after all that's what it is all about,our home team with our name.Toronto Blue Jays,Toronto Maple Leafs,Toronto Argonauts and Toronto Football Club.Besides who would know in the general public in North America what TFC means. Kind of in fact a crazy thing anyway.Let us all concentrate on Toronto F.C,just for all around publicity.It's what our shirt says!

No one is replacing Toronto FC, John.

TFC is merely a short form to be used in conversation or to give people something to write other than just the one name.

Do you always refer to our hockey team as the Toronto Maple Leafs? Or do you use the Leafs some times?

This guy at the Star is starting something I don't like nor that poole. I guess we must make sure this thing does not get out of hand.I guess we all should make sure we will always refer to our team as Toronto F,C,hey even Toronto Football Club would be the best.I suppose we should all make the effort to call it just that,just to avoid that TFC business.I guess the jury is still out but we must nip it in the butt.

Yes I call them the Leafs,as well as the Blue Jays and Argonauts but that only applies to the Toronto crowd.The crowd in Toronto still has to be educated and my bar buddies still have to told it is Toronto Footbal club,although i seem to have fallen into calling them Toronto F.C,this i will change.

Guest Jeffery S.

Eventually another nickname may emerge. Noone at FC Barcelona ever refers to the team as "FC", and if Futbol Club is used it is always in combination with the city name, like in the hymn.

But over time the team became known as Barça, with that cedille, and that is what most people say.

All I am saying is that "Football Club" is a bit silly to say without the city name, in the same way, and that eventually some other name might emerge, some odd variation on the city name or some other combination a journalist or fans will come up with in the next few years. And then the press will use that.

That is an unbelievably stupid article. Well, it is the Toronto Star so maybe not that unbelievable.

I think it shows why they should have just picked a name for the team and stopped this pseudo-Euro-crap.

The only potential positive is that in year 3-4 when naturally the interest will go down, unless they win trophies, they can then have some sort of "name your team contest" and keep people interested with the whole process.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

That is an unbelievably stupid article. Well, it is the Toronto Star so maybe not that unbelievable.

I think it shows why they should have just picked a name for the team and stopped this pseudo-Euro-crap.

The only potential positive is that in year 3-4 when naturally the interest will go down, unless they win trophies, they can then have some sort of "name your team contest" and keep people interested with the whole process.

Fortunately, CK is only the columnist, not the guy who will be writing the game reports.

db

Archived