14,000 (Sold Out) Toronto FC season tickets sold

Crazy_Yank

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Who would you rather have promoting your game, though, Danny Boy? MLSE, who are in the sports business, are an experienced sports giant, and know what to do, or the Hartrells, who spent more time whining to the media about how it seemed to be everyone's fault but their own as a marketing tool?

Do you remember the quotes from Bruno that appeared in the media around the time the MLSE was expressing interest in MLS? He said something to the effect that he knows the market here better than anyone else and that there is no way that it could work. I would be curious to hear what he has to say now.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just ordered my season tickets last week,but not in the supporters section.

I guess a lot of people in Toronto were very much made aware of TFC and with all that great (in tongue and cheek) media hype the season tickets sales went through the roof. i really don't know what part the markering guys played other than providing the media the pertinent information.Marketing guys sell to the sponsors who in turn watch that media and that little "big"circle is running like a swiss watch in Toronto.

I don't even know who the marketing guys are for TFC I know the media person. I guess TFC has a marketing company rather than an in house thing I suspect.

Media department get media releases from the media person at the TFC that's all.I don't recall any advertising for season tickets,at least I never saw any at all. The opening game is going to be a rocker and a complete sell out,with scalpers and all the great hype. Just wonder which media guru will tackle the columns and will they be converted after all,or still have their little digs.

The Hartrells never had a chance simply because there was no cloud and second of all it still was soccer.

Anyway the count down is on and articles or not this thing is a success wilder than any of my dreams already.

Don't ask me what seats i have they are in the mail,was so excited forgot to write them down. Oh well any seat in this stadium is great. I know i am closer to the grass than to the ice at the ACC,but well below the luxury boxes at the ACC.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

MLSEL has a staff of 65-70 people many of whom are devoted to Marketing. That gets noticed not only by the ticket buyers but also the media. The Hartrells were pretty much a 2 to 2.5 person operation. Their offices were something like 600 sq feet in a small a cheap south etobicoke industrial strip area. Right next to a bunch of storage areas for industrial container for shipping and transport. Who do you think is going to be take more seriously by the fans and the media? This phenomena is really not all the different from what Saputo was able to achieve in Montreal.

For other examples you might want to ask why Manchester United has a larger fan base than Manchester city? Or why Juventus can trump Torino in the same fashion.

Bingo. This is a great point.

John, not to beat on you, but TFC has had commercials running for the past month plus on the various sports channels in Toronto. ie. The Score, Roger Sportsnet and they've also thrown the ad up on the big screen at home Leafs games. I went to the Leafs-Tampa game back in December and one of the contests during the break in action was a juggling contest between Jim Brennan and Chris Pozniak. (Pozniak bungled after 5 seconds)

I have reasons to believe that there is a cut off point and that came from one of these horses.

I guess i missed all the marketing stuff.I suppose I am still looking at the print media,besides i already knew that this thing was going to be big so I was not even looking for it,which is funny to me,knowing me!

Here's what Tom Anselmi had to say on this about a week ago in the Globe and Mail:-

http://tinyurl.com/ytpmn4

POSTED ON: 07/02/07

Anselmi expects that there may be single tickets available for the game when they go sale. "If not, then the Galaxy game will anchor a mini-pack for sure, or be available through group sales," he said.

Beckham's first league game may bring extra coverage as well. "I think heightened interest for sure," Anselmi said. "There will be lots of interest."

He's not sure where the season ticket sales will top out for the 20,000-seat stadium. But he said season tickets would likely be cut off "somewhere in the 14,000 neighbourhood" because of commitments to group sales, and the team would like to have some tickets available for the mini-packages and single-game sales.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

The info comes from fairly high up the food chain so I have no reason to doubt the authenticity....

Ya, but mlsintoronto, who is a pretty good source, just posted on this thread that there are only 500 left, which pretty much means there's a cap.

Its not really a big deal to me either way. I got my tickets already anyway.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I don't recall any advertising for season tickets,at least I never saw any at all.

You must have missed the multiple commercials they ran DURING THE WORLD CUP, or the many more that have been playing ad nauseum on Sportsnet and The Score.

Not to mention that nifty billboard of Jimmy Brennan on the Gardiner, or the entire week they took out advertising on both covers of the 24 Hours commuter paper.

Or the ads they've been running at the Air Canada Centre (aren't you a season ticket holder) during Leafs and Raptors games.

There are many more examples.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Or the ads they've been running at the Air Canada Centre (aren't you a season ticket holder) during Leafs and Raptors games.

C'mon give the guy a break. John doesn't have time to watch the ads at Leafs games. He has to explain the anti-soccer media conspiracy to the guys sitting next to him.

No I am very bussy employing about 95 people and making millions how about you jerr,,,,k

Yes I hate the effen Toronto media since they all hate soccer and don't try to convince me otherwise,I could break the trust of those writers that are involved in the Toronto media,so don't play games with me becauser ai will destroy you with facts if I have to. Let's all unite and be a team of possitive and caring soccer enthousiast who finally see their dream come through and finalyy see that effen racoon Totronto media bending the other way. They are in deep shi... t believe me since they have been preaching the opposite and zaboom,those jerks from the MLSE are upsetting the applecard. Boy they tried to fight but they failed. Now what,they are in a dilemma and I am having a ball finding out who will surrender to the masses meaning all of us. There we go, yes I am busy making a lot of money and am extremeley succesfull in my business so here you go, here is my pass to you and don't ef it up!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

You must have missed the multiple commercials they ran DURING THE WORLD CUP, or the many more that have been playing ad nauseum on Sportsnet and The Score.

Not to mention that nifty billboard of Jimmy Brennan on the Gardiner, or the entire week they took out advertising on both covers of the 24 Hours commuter paper.

There are many more examples.

Rudi to be very honest I really don't remember seeing any of your examples and that is my fault. i guess I was not paying any attention. So there is no real excuse and even I wonder why not but there it is.Maybe I blocked out any commercial of anything but even that does not apply to soccer. Just did not hear or see it.You really make me wonder and think,maybe it is old age,now that is some awfull excuse ,just don't know.About the leafs signage etc. i heard about it and only went to two games and saw the ad,but thi is only watched by about 18000 people and although extremely effective only peanuts but yes as a soccer big nut very very gratifying and very very amazing knowing the history. I wondered at the time if these people relly knew the history of both games as a common denominator never mind all these hockey players who have a very solid soccer background.

To be very honest since i believe I know so much about these sports is to also realize how history is again in the making but only me and a few others it is history repeating itself and this time to stay.

Latest from Morgan Campbell of the Toronto Star:-

http://www.thestar.com/article/182488

Toronto FC plays hardball with Beckham fans

MLSE chief operating officer Tom Anselmi says ticket agents probably just misspoke while explaining the best way to guarantee a ticket to Beckham's visit.

Nevertheless, he expects season ticket and multiple games to account for nearly every ticket to the L.A. Galaxy game – likely to be Beckham's regular season MLS debut – long before single-game seats go on sale in early April.

"By the time we go on sale with single game seats there will be very few seats left because there's so much demand for it," Anselmi said yesterday. "We may have some for the game but it's too early to tell."

Of the roughly 20,000 seats at BMO field, Anselmi says about 1,000 go to corporate sponsors, leaving the rest available to the public. Of those remaining seats, 12,500 have already been sold as season tickets.

Anselmi said the club will cap season ticket sales somewhere between 14,000 and 15,000 seats, then start selling multiple game packages.

So 13,500 accounted for when the ca. 1,000 corporate sponsor tickets are factored in.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Yes I hate the effen Toronto media since they all hate soccer and don't try to convince me otherwise,I could break the trust of those writers that are involved in the Toronto media

So are they your 'good friends' as you've also called them, or do you hate them all? Which is it, because it can't be both.

quote:so don't play games with me becauser ai will destroy you with facts if I have to.

I guess there's a first time for everything since you have yet to do it at all.

quote:finalyy see that effen racoon Totronto media bending the other way. They are in deep shi... t believe me since they have been preaching the opposite and zaboom,those jerks from the MLSE are upsetting the applecard.

Please show us, with your 'facts', stories where they have been constantly trying to 'destroy' soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Who would you rather have promoting your game, though, Danny Boy? MLSE, who are in the sports business, are an experienced sports giant, and know what to do, or the Hartrells, who spent more time whining to the media about how it seemed to be everyone's fault but their own as a marketing tool?

It's not a question of who I want promoting soccer. It could be Don King for all I care. Believe me I'm happy that TFC has 13,500 sold. I'm just surprised that the number is so high for a first year operation for a sport that can never get it's share of respect. So it leads ME to believe that MLSE is either doing a fantastic job or that Beckham has more pull than we give him credit. I honestly don't believe it's the soccer driving the sales. I was expecting 6-10,000 season tix sold because it's MLSE then have average attendances between 12-17,000 with walk up. Now it's looking to be over 20K on an average day.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

The fact Vancouver takes USL-D1 more seriously than Toronto always meant diddlysquat where MLS is concerned. For most soccer people in southern Ontario this is the first local pro soccer team since the NASL folded and the Lynx were not even on their radar screen. Worth noting that there were 6900 tickets sold the evening before the Beckham announcement and that that was already the top number in the league at that point. I suspect that Vancouver is now very high on MLS's agenda because there is not much doubt that similar numbers could be posted there as well.

If Beckham didn't join MLS where do you think that number would be at today? 7500? 8000? If he didn't join this year do you think TFC would top 10K?

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

If Beckham didn't join MLS where do you think that number would be at today? 7500? 8000? If he didn't join this year do you think TFC would top 10K?

Considering TFC had already sold 7000 season tickets before the Beckham announcement (over a month ago), I'd argue that they'd break 10k (season ticket buyers) easily.

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

I honestly don't believe it's the soccer driving the sales. I was expecting 6-10,000 season tix sold because it's MLSE then have average attendances between 12-17,000 with walk up. Now it's looking to be over 20K on an average day.

10K was what I always expected, even before the Beckham signing. They were at just over 7000 sold before that fateful January day. Beckham's signing is worth at least 4000 season tickets and probably a sell out of most or all Mini-Pack inventory because people will want that Galaxy game.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

10K was what I always expected, even before the Beckham signing. They were at just over 7000 sold before that fateful January day. Beckham's signing is worth at least 4000 season tickets and probably a sell out of most or all Mini-Pack inventory because people will want that Galaxy game.

Last year, when the team was just launched, I had argued that all that they needed to make it viable would be something like like 4-5000 season tickets and attendances comparable to what the Montreal Impact were getting. I had been, on a few occasions, to games at CCR in Montreal and my thoughts of the soccer culture there ( based on observations and from talking to people) was the it is identical to Toronto. Given that there is greater economic activity in TO and generally higher incomes, I saw no reason why ( with the right ownership)you could achieve the same. Hence I had predicted average attendances in the 10K range. This would have been very much in line with many other MLS clubs. In time as people get accustomed and gain familiarity and attachment to the club, a culture would form and I had optimistically thought that they would get in 5-10 years to something where you could actually sell out this joint.

But this number has blown me away. They have achieved in the first year what I thought was only possible in the most optimistic scenario in 5-10 years. This presents a new problem IMO. How do you sustain this in the long term?

Archived