14,000 (Sold Out) Toronto FC season tickets sold

Crazy_Yank

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yap that stadium is to small already for that immense soccer power and team.Wow,never expected I would write that line one day,did somebody say something about "in my life time". I hope the ticket prices won't go up. Will scalpers have a hay day at a TFC game? Wait till Spicy shows up with her huzzy.

I think we'd all prefer a flourishing, coast-to-coast Canadian league with the cachet of the MLS - just ain't gonna happen in your or my lifetime. So, rather than flogging a long dead horse let's all try and make what we DO have as successful as possible.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I'd rather have a Canadian League(am I sounding like a broken record yet?) but a successful TFC is a good thing at this point. Hopefully they can keep it up, and make themselves a model MLS club.

I think that the reality is that a Canadian league would never be a money maker. A league like the CFL, with all its history, barely breaks even in most cities. This is a tough country to play pro sports in. Travel costs alone are hard to swallow and the lack of really good facilities to play games in makes it a non-starter.

The MLS is the only hope for REAL pro soccer in Canada. If MLS continues to exhibit mostly sound and forward thinking leadership from its management team and owners, it will thrive. It may not ever become a top 3-4 league in North America but does it really have to be as big as MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL to be a success? I personally don't think so.

Hopefully, Canada can work our way up to 3 MLS teams over time with rock solid ownership behind them. We need RICH people/corporations in charge of these teams with a vision for not only making money short/long term but also with a vision for developing young Canadian talent. It seems like the people running the Montreal and Vancouver USL teams are rich so that's a good start and they must have a passion for the game to spend as much as they do on their USL teams that play in general obscurity in this country.

The only type of Canadian league(s) that could ever be viable, in my opinion, would be a loose association of regional semi-pro leagues (similar to CSL) that would possibly have their respective league champions play off against each other for a Canadian champion. Make it a strictly U-23 league and let it be a place for young Canadians to play and make a little money.

As for TFC season seats numbers, there are all kinds of wild numbers floating around (some are saying 10,000 season tickets have already been sold) but there is undoubtedly a buzz around town, especially after the beckham news. However, even before the Beckham announcement, TFC were selling a very good number of seats each week and were probably going to get close to 10,000 season seats before the kickoff of the season. Now that Spice Boy and Spice Girl are coming to MLS (and maybe sooner than August since David is being permanently benched at Real madrid) some TFC fans are predicting 12,000 season tickets sold. This is an exciting time to be a footie fan in Toronto and in canada.

Don't worry the media will try keep it down. Hey the ennemie is already lining up,McGowan,Perkins,Francis and Woolsley have come forward and these we know,how many will be silently working in the background,

Oops don't attack me by claiming I said conspiricy just a bunch of media guys that don't want soccer to succeed and speak the same language.Did I forget somebody,be free to add to the list please.Maybe we should make a list of good guys and bad guys.Does anybody know what happened to Jay Teitel,is he still around in Toronto?

This is where you do what they do down here. Go to a big stadium for big games. Corinthians and Palmeiras go to Morumbi stadium to play their home games in Sao Paulo derbies even when that other SP team is Sao Paulo FC (Morumbi is their home field) because the stadium will hold at least 70,000 compared to less than 35,000 at their home fields. The same approach could be used with the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

maybe a little premature to ask but is the stadium expandable for the future?

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I'd rather have a Canadian League(am I sounding like a broken record yet?) but a successful TFC is a good thing at this point. Hopefully they can keep it up, and make themselves a model MLS club.

I agree. An improved CSL was always my first choice, but this is what we have, so let's make it work.

And for it to work, we are going to need more USL clubs, whether they be First Division or PDL, etc.....

I too would like an all Canadian league and it will come in its' time, I'm sure of it.

Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto in the MLS would could be the catalyst for soccer in general and could possibly "open the door" once they're fully established for a lower ranking all Canadian pro or semi-pro type league, a level or two up from the existing CSL.

A strong MLS with V, M, and TO in it and national television coverage will do the trick.

It may happen before a lot quicker than any of us thought possible; yes even before we're gone Richard.

Fortunately, I think the Beckham blip will be just that, but if he has any of the impact MLS is hoping it is bad news for for any hope of more canadian teams on MLS. They are certainly not going into either Vancouver or Montreal if there are US cities clamouring to get in. Part of the Gretzky effect was the loss of two Canadian franchise to the US...

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Don't worry the media will try keep it down. Hey the ennemie is already lining up,McGowan

I actually heard/saw his segment on the Beckham transfer, and he had a young basketball guy, one of the regulars I know his face, not his name (who contradicted corrected or added to the McCowan arguments, it wasn't Brunt though) and then a guy who covered the NASL.

Overall, a Fair assessment of the situation, and speculation of what it means to the league, that is for a non soccer specific show. Both negatives and positives of the move. And future speculation.

As much as McCowan might've been running his anti-soccer schtick, it wasn't all bull. Sure he didn't know some of the specifics and MLS rules in place to try to avoid the NASL situation, but honestly to the media, here and in europe, who don't bother printing all the proper details and just want to slap on this $250-$275-millon figure.

Speaking of whichc, I loved it how the BBC found it so important on their website (I forget where) to put in that Beckham will play at a stadium called Pizza Hut Park.

Hey this jerk said that the MSL will fail and his expression was so blatantly negative it was sickening.He seemed to try to concince everybody watching his show and hey he maybe god to some of these viewers as well.It was not pretty at all and something we really don't need,this it seems his whish and maybe even his continued desire as well.

McCowan is a radio personality. It's his job to stir up sh-t. He's got you guys talking about him so he's doing his job. I listed to his show daily and I really don't believe he is as much a soccer hater as he is a natural contrarian. When people want the "bobcat" character to like something, he takes the opposite view. It stirs up controversy and generates ratings.

His pessimism regarding the future of the MLS is 99% wrong but if you are a believer that history repeats itself, you can understand why people like McCowan and most of the supposed "anti-soccer" media types will rush to remind us that what MLS is doing with beckham is the same as what the NASL did in the 70's by bringing in all the older stars. I, for one, think McCowan and his gang of non-believers are wrong but the precedent exists so let's just hope that the people in charge of MLS study their history lessons and don't repeat the mistakes of the NASL.

quote:Originally posted by morrison

Overall, a Fair assessment of the situation, and speculation of what it means to the league, that is for a non soccer specific show. Both negatives and positives of the move. And future speculation.

As much as McCowan might've been running his anti-soccer schtick, it wasn't all bull.

Agreed. I listened to both shows( the thursday and Friday). Aside from the contributions of Michael Grange on Friday, Both were very good segments and all sides of the argument were presented very fairly. And, for the most part, in a reasonably well researched and informed manner. Thats what I expect from these shows.

However, Grange's comments were a waste and, IMO, thinnly veiled to convey another hidden sentiment. On the one hand he states something along the lines that he couldn't care less and doesn't know the sport or players but then he turns around and suggests that TorontoFC should try to acquire Owen Hargreaves. I think that he knows the kind of emotions (amongst many) that that stirs up in so far as his attachment to Canada as well as the negative repercussions ( of Hargreaves decision to not represent Canada) on the success of the game in Canada internationally. As far as his earlier point, If you knew little on a certain topic, then you would say nothing or very little. What is the motivation behind the desire to boast your ignorance and indifference about certain sport or sports topic when your on a show for your supposed expertise on sports? There are many more sports topics that people are indifferent to, but at least they trying to add something constructive to a debate.

Ok there is no denying that we have high profile media personalities who just it seems hate soccer for some rather obscure reasons.

It is all the same reasons low scoring,dives,not North American,played by foreigners,over the hill Euro soccer players,don't use your hands,riots etc,etc. It never stops and this message is constantly being expressed.

Well that has to change,as i said this sport is not accepted by Canadians yet as a major sport at all i have said this so many times.We have to work at it very hard to change that crazy image as soon as possible.That is why it is so crucially important that TFC is a glorious succes and will ultinately reach those non believers to the extend that they will know the names of our players,because they see their names on the front pages all the time and on talk shows and on the radio.

That is probably our mission statement ,we strive to make this a major Canadian sport.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

That is probably our mission statement ,we strive to make this a major Canadian sport.

Soccer is already a major sport among Canadians. The problem is that Canadian</u> soccer is not yet highly regarded. I work with at least 15 people who were either born in canada or came to the country at a young age and they love the game but can't be bothered to support Canadian soccer because they feel that there are no Canadian fans. I tell them that they are wrong but many of them can't shake the memories of varsity stadium filled with Canadians cheering for their mother country rather than cheering for Canada.

I read alot of people's posts about wanting to make Canadian soccer a top sport among Canadians but what is the plan? Who is organizing a strategy? What will be the gauge for success? IMO, the fans need to invest their own money in the game if we want it to thrive because no one else will spend moeny until we prove that there is money to be made supporting the game. I went to the Canada/US U-20 exhibition match at the Skydome this past summer and it was disgraceful to see so few fans at the game. Those who were there were excellent but at most there were 2000 people at the game and I learned later that many of the tickets were freebies. It wasn't a great game or a great event but I spent good money to support Canadian football because that's what I feel needs to be done but clearly not enough people share that sentiment. Until every such event is supported to the maximum, no one at the higher levels will ever care about our game.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

McCowan is a radio personality. It's his job to stir up sh-t. He's got you guys talking about him so he's doing his job. I listed to his show daily and I really don't believe he is as much a soccer hater as he is a natural contrarian. When people want the "bobcat" character to like something, he takes the opposite view. It stirs up controversy and generates ratings.

His pessimism regarding the future of the MLS is 99% wrong but if you are a believer that history repeats itself, you can understand why people like McCowan and most of the supposed "anti-soccer" media types will rush to remind us that what MLS is doing with beckham is the same as what the NASL did in the 70's by bringing in all the older stars. I, for one, think McCowan and his gang of non-believers are wrong but the precedent exists so let's just hope that the people in charge of MLS study their history lessons and don't repeat the mistakes of the NASL.

Agreed, agreed and agreed!

Earlier in that show, in one of the local hours, he spoke with a caller who said that the only Europeans that came to the NASL were over the hill and couldn't get jobs in Europe mentioning Beckenbauer as an example. That caller's credibility was instantly destroyed by that statement.

McCowan quickly contradicted him and to a degree set the record straight saying that many of the imports played good soccer when they were here.

Peter Lorimer, Peter Beardsley, Bruce Grobellar, Trevor Francis ......

All players that spent time in the NASL before returning to Europe to continue their careers.

When David Byrne was starring with the Blizzard, he was also Import Player of the Year in Portugal (with Belenenses I think).

I was more frustrated by a Saturday afternoon host on The Fan who kept on ranting about Beckham being past his prime. Doh! Ya no kidding. If you want to be picky about it, just about any player over 30 is technically past his prime but that doesn't mean they can't play good soccer. "Past his prime" and "past it" are two totally different qualifying statements in my mind but too many seem to want to use the two interchangeably.

As for Beckham, time will tell and he has to prove that he can still do the job. I think he'll do well here and I'm looking forward to his presence in the league.

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Correctamundo again. which leads me to something else that I have begun to realize over the years. When it comes to soccer, the most insightfull/credible comentary and discussion is more likely to come from mainstream meda types. The garbage that I hear comes more often than not, from those who are supposed to be the experts on this topic. For example, the ones that you mentioned ( ISR) and the others that cover soccer from overseas. I am more interested in reading or listening to what S brundt has to say than Peter Irvine or anyone on Sportsworld ( on the score)except for Paul James.

Too often, it seems that when they hire people for these roles, you get a sense that they must think that just because you have a foreign accent, you must know something . Which might be true, for soccer and the sports in the country where they come from. But when it comes to the Canadian scene, the euro snobbery comes out and you tend to see view along the line of what " Loud Mouth Soup" aluded to in the earlier post (ie.: The britsh commentary).

Archived