14,000 (Sold Out) Toronto FC season tickets sold

Crazy_Yank

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I understand where you're coming from though I do have a soft spot for Peter as I did work with them on the show when it was on 640.

I do feel that Brunt can be (not always but often) one of the better soccer commentators as long as you're not going to try and pin him down on who the 18th best defender in the Premiership is.

In my case of this past weekend, to be fair to the Euro-types, this particular host was Canadian BUT he was going on and on about what he obviously knew little.

He had a point to make but he hammered until the nail was bent and he started making less and less sense.

His point was valid but he obscurred it as he became more and more verbally adamant and emotional.

Of course, that's how people make themselves feel valid, ranting.

db

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by john tv

Free kick you are totally offside,sickening stuff,grow up man.

This week Freekick will be officially committed to the soccer sanitorium by Dr. JohnTV. Fortunately at this hospital he will learn that if he accepts soccer into his heart he will enjoy peace on earth and will obtain 72 virgins upon entering heaven.

If there's a media conspiracy against Soccer in this country, apparently the staffers at TFC have failed to take notice. The following is a note left by a TFC employee as posted on the Toronto FC group on Facebook:

"The media is not soccer unfriendly. Toronto FC has received immensely positive attention from the media since its inception."

This was in response to a johntv-esque post berating the evils of the soccer-hating media in Canada.

Today, TFC held a press event to introduce their draft picks and the Toronto Star posted coverage of the event on their website quicker than TFC did on their own website. There might be some columnists at the Star that don't like the game but it seems like the Sports Editor is willing

Guys over and over again,TFC is doing a great job and somewhere among my many write ups it has been posted many a times. I really see a change which we need so desperately. Yes the MLSE cloud is working I had hoped and expected it would. I am without the happiest guy seeing this development and again you will find that in many of my previous comments. I just don't like these guys and writers that still are on that ancient bandwagon. I don't know if any of you read the Globe today and again there is that article we don't need and deserve.Same old same old stuff.This is what I am fighting against that total injustice against our game and throwing in that non american stuff as the biggest kicker.You all know how totally delighted I have been and will continue to be. TFC is by far the very best thing that ever happened to all of us and even beyond,a huge dream coming through.

John, the old guard who dislike the game will likely never change their minds. I don't like the NFL and likely won't change my mind. However, if the public gets excited about the game (and MLSE/TFC are doing a good job to get us excited), the sports editors will ensure it gets the press attention it deserves.

As a basketball fan, I remember how negative most media people were when the Raptors and Grizzlies entered the NBA. The hockey people were upset that they would have to share column inches and air time with these basketball guys. It's taken a long time but basketball is now being covered well for the most part and I am sure TFC will get the same treatment, in T.O. (especially if they win). Canadian soccer still has to fight to get positive media attention but that is mostly their own doing. The CSA has exhibited gross incompetence for so long that the media can't be bothered with them. The CSA will need to earn that respect back.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

So now the question is...how high will the season ticket count climb come April? You have to think that all the best seats are getting snapped up, which makes you wonder if this will build some more urgency.

The lower cost seats are being snapped up along with the most expensive seats at CF.

You may be right about the urgency factor.

seating_map.gif

Soccer fans responding to Toronto FC

Last Updated: Monday, January 15, 2007 | 4:47 PM ET

CBC Sports

David Beckham's pending arrival aside, Toronto sports fans are craving Major League Soccer.

Toronto FC has topped 10,000 in season tickets, according to a team spokesman, with 2,600 of that total coming since news broke last week that Beckham is joining the Los Angeles Galaxy. The newly constructed BMO Field will seat 20,000 fans.

Maurice Edu is all smiles Monday at a media conference in Toronto.

(Frank Gunn/Canadian Press)

"It's wonderful and it can only get better," Johnston told reporters, referring to the season-ticket base. "

Toronto FC showed off three of its four draft choices at a Monday news conference, including first overall pick Maurice Edu.

Edu, 20, is a defensive midfielder who started 55 games in three seasons at the University of Maryland and has 10 goals and 11 assists in his collegiate career.

As a sophomore in 2005, Edu helped the Terps win a national championship.

Continue Article

"I don't know about Maurice's attacking ability, but we're going to hold the reins on him," said Johnston of Edu, who has signed a three-year deal with an option for two additional seasons.

Midfielder Rich Assante and forward Jeff Gonsalves also were on hand at Monday's announcement.

Assante is another defensive midfielder, dubbed a "pit bull" by Johnston, who added Gonsalves and Assante will have to prove they belong at the MLS level.

Playmaker, others needed

Johnston said his team is "comfortable all through the field" but hopes to sign a pair of internationals within the next 10 days: a "seasoned pro" who is captain of both his club and the national side, and a younger player.

Johnston is looking for a playmaker in central midfield, a left-sided midfielder, a backup goalie and some forward help. He plans to take 28 to 32 to training camp.

The team has signed 16 players, including Canadians Greg Sutton, Adam Braz, Chris Pozniak, Marco Reda and Jim Brennan.

Toronto FC begins its inaugural MLS season on April 7 against Chivas USA in Carson, Calif. FC's home opener is April 28 against the Kansas City Wizards.

Beckham has signed a five-year, $250-million US deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Johnston said his team is "comfortable all through the field" but hopes to sign a pair of internationals within the next 10 days: a "seasoned pro" who is captain of both his club and the national side, and a younger player.

Johnston is looking for a playmaker in central midfield, a left-sided midfielder, a backup goalie and some forward help. He plans to take 28 to 32 to training camp.

Ok...it looks like Mo has offered another clue. I am by no means as resourceful as some of you on this board. Who could this mystery international be? Who captains both their club side and national team? I know McKenna does but he's not coming to the MLS.

I am also curious who they are bringing to camp to win the backup goalkeeper positions.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Gentlemen,please,please,please refrain from using that horrible expression Euroslob. It is bad enough to have to put up with Don Cherry,but our own guys. It seems to me that if it weren't for the Europeans we would have had no soccer at the competitive level.

It seems that these euro's kept this thing going and this was great. It is now up to us Canadians to take over. Let me caution you that Europeans are no longer coming to Canada as they were before,with the exception of Eastern Europe.The Scotts,the Brtts in general don't come in those numbers any more as don't the dutch. I guess some of you may say great,but all I remember is that any coach I saw working his but of was from the British isles.

I really don't remember any of these guys making any derogatory remarks about Canada and their devotion to this country as has been shown is remarkable and so fantastic.I can't think of anyone I would not put on a pedestal.

I really don't know what a Euroslob is and i find this all rather

uncalled for.

The young international is likely to be Peters, no?? Nice teasers left by Mo, eh? Definitely knows how to keep the fans curious, and good on him. Who could be captain of his club, country, and coming to the MLS, to Toronto no less?? Maybe a Caribbean or Central American? Many of the best from that region still seem to filter through MLS, and some like Ruiz never leave, despite the pitiful money given to most of the spanish speaking stars of that league. Or could it be eastern european/baltic? Seems to be a European player, even an aging one who could still draw, missing from the projected line-up, at least from a marketing point-of-view.

I was only kidding about Dennis. I don't even know what he is doing these days,certainly not travelling.I remember when I picked up the Dutch team from the airport and I knew his fear of flying, well it showed big time.

-------------------------------

What we should do is a little bet something along the lines of who will be the closed in guessing the no. of season ticket sold prior to game day,meaning the day before the game and assume that TFC will publish that figue.I for one believe that it will be 17500.I hope I am wrong and the whole place is all season ticket holders,wow some dream,even my figure is in heaven land.I do know that if this trend continious the scalpers will have a hay day and probably will outnumber the scalpers outside the AC.We should also watched the buy and sell columns tickets in the papers if they are being listed already.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I was only kidding about Dennis. I don't even know what he is doing these days,certainly not travelling.I remeber when I picked up the Dutch team from the airport and I knew he fear of flying well it showed big time.

-------------------------------

What we should do is a little bet something along the lines of who will be the closed in guessing the no of season ticket sold prior to game day,meaning the day before the game and hope that TFC will publis and or announce that figue.I for one believe that it will be 16500.I hope I am wrong and the whole place is all season ticket holders,wow some dream,even my figure is in heaven land.I do know that if this trend continious the scalpers will have a hay day and probably will outnumber the scalpers outside the AC.

How does having the entire stadium as season ticket holders help to grow the game? At that point, the stadium is full of those already converted and corporate seats. There has to be enough tickets available for walk-ups and those who want to take their kids to a game or two.

Archived