14,000 (Sold Out) Toronto FC season tickets sold

Crazy_Yank

quote:Originally posted by marktci

How does having the entire stadium as season ticket holders help to grow the game?

It would force Toronto FC to enlarge BMO Field. And if it was packed, what do you think would make the front page of newspapers after every game?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

i am pretty sure that Reyna is going to NY

Yeah, that's what we've been told. But you have to admit, he matches the description.

Devos doesn't match actually. He would play behind Edu, not in front of him.

For the record, I don't want Reyna, but Devos would be nice!

His name was mentioned earlier in connection with TFC (or at least in rumours), but I never saw this posted anywhere...

"On 29 Dec 2006 FC Tokyo, a first division club in the J. League, announced the acquisition of Wanchope on a transfer from Rosario Central. Along with prospect Sota Hirayama, Wanchope gives FC Tokyo a pair of large (190cm+) strikers."

Ok I am sorry,really did not know this.Although I am not surprised at all.Reminds me when the Impact played against the Lynx,the media box was filled with Montreal media including a play by play radio crew.A bunch of photographers on the field and zilch Toronto media.It helps a lot to have the media behind you,oops here I go again,but that is my explanation.

Congrats to Toronto, and keep it up. Success in TO could very well open the door for MLS expansion into Vancouver and Montreal. MLS will want mature, well-backed markets, and both Vancouver and Montreal have the potential to provide such a set-up. One might even argue that they are better suited for MLS than Toronto. Kerfoot and the Saputos are the real deal: fingers are crossed that we have one or two more Canadian teams in MLS come 2010.

I have to say I'm very surprised and pleased at these numbers. I was skeptical at first, not wanting Vancouver's possible entry to be impeded by failure in Toronto. However, even if MLS had come to Vancouver, I don't think there is any way that we would have had these sorts of ticket numbers.

Toronto is representing Canada well.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I have to say I'm very surprised and pleased at these numbers. I was skeptical at first, not wanting Vancouver's possible entry to be impeded by failure in Toronto. However, even if MLS had come to Vancouver, I don't think there is any way that we would have had these sorts of ticket numbers.

Toronto is representing Canada well.

It's all good. The Kerfoot's and Saputo's of this country can look at that number and feel optimistic about the future.

db

Well, you know that MLSE (****, and MLS for that matter) must be absolutely stunned with the numbers so far and we're not even into Febuary. The season ticket "spike" that usualy comes in the last few months before season kickoff isn't yet upon us.

Couple of questions though, because the answers may taint the positive numbers or at least give a clearer picture of the sales so far.

1). Who's buying these tickets? Is the lion's share corporate or private and wouldn't some sort of break down be nice?

and 2). Is there any "bundling" going on in regards to the WYC this summer?

Just curious. No matter the answers these are some very, very positive numbers out of TFC for their maiden season.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Well, you know that MLSE (****, and MLS for that matter) must be absolutely stunned with the numbers so far and we're not even into Febuary. The season ticket "spike" that usualy comes in the last few months before season kickoff isn't yet upon us.

Couple of questions though, because the answers may taint the positive numbers or at least give a clearer picture of the sales so far.

1). Who's buying these tickets? Is the lion's share corporate or private and wouldn't some sort of break down be nice?

Just curious. No matter the answers these are some very, very positive numbers out of TFC for their maiden season.

I cant answer #1, but as for #2... one of the benefits of putting down a deposit on seasons was first crack at U20 ticket packages. There hasn't been any packaging of the tickets for the two events though.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

One thing that I found surprising was the number of boxes that have already been sold (over half, according to the team site). Also, all of the most expensive seats are now sold out. That says to me that corporate support is pretty good.

I don't think there's been any bundling with the U20s, beyond the front of the line status.

As best I can figure, individuals buying tickets are soccer fans of all shapes and sizes. I have 4 myself. I've talked to a girl who bought some with friends. Voyageurs. Soccer parents.

I can think few better ways to spend a summer Saturday late afternoon, lounging in the sun, with a cold beer, and live soccer.

Three months and three days!!!! I'm pumped.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am surprised noone has suggested that given the committed seats for the team, the stadium is already too small. Usually you want to have a certain percentage available for walk-up, special days (key game to make playoffs, etc.)

Speaking of which, are playoff matches included or to be sold apart from the season tix packages?

Another suggestion: here in Barcelona almost all the seats are taken by club members, but many don't or can't go to all games (out of towners rarely go to mid-week Champions games, for example). So you have empty seats, which is bad for the team, as the ambience suffers, the support is weaker though the seats are sold. So what they do through the online and ATM ticketing systems, is allow season tix holders to release their seats to be resold online a limited number of times a year. The season tix holder gets a part of the sale (they limit it so it cannot turn into a business, I think half a dozen times a year or so), while the club gets a share and the ticketing agent their commission. This is a great way to attract walk up and fill the stadium even when, in principle, the stadium is near to being sold out. And allows anyone interested in a specific game to get tix in a good spot, even when it appears to have been sold out. Also limits temptations to pass on seats to scalpers. Any such system ever used in North America that anyone knows?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I am surprised noone has suggested that given the committed seats for the team, the stadium is already too small. Usually you want to have a certain percentage available for walk-up, special days (key game to make playoffs, etc.)

I'm sure that has crossed everyone's mind by now, but there are advantages to keeping it small. Besides keeping construction costs down (this stadium is being done on the cheap - with potential for expansion and roofs built into the structure), it also creates demand. The people who have bought season tickets would have done so regardless of the stadium's size (except maybe scalpers), but I imagine alot of them would have procrastinated and waited until the first week of April to buy if it was a 30K seater stadium. TFC would still have sold 11k+ season tickets (with many more to come), just not this many at this early a stage - and the great publicity that goes with it.

Keeping it at 20K ensures some sellouts, great atmosphere, and greater demand. Just look at the Allouettes'(sp?) move from the Big Owe to Molson Stadium on the McGill campus as an example of how this works. You also have to consider that this is the first year, so demand will naturally be high. A drop-off of atleast 10% in the second year is entirely possible as that tends to happen in most cases with expansion teams in North America.

Also, you must compare the prices of TFC's season tickets to other MLS teams (ex. TFC top seat is $1700CDN vs $3700USD for LA Galaxy, supporters seats only $200 - just $100 if you also bought seats from one of the four expensive sections) to see that MLSE really discounted to drive demand, ensure a good atmosphere, and give atleast the "appearance" of financial success. Given that MLSE is a real money whore ($12 beers at the ACC!) with teacher's pensions to fund, a price increase at both the top and bottom sections (club seats and supporters' section - the sections which sold out the quickest), and eliminating the $100 special, should be anticipated. This will have some impact on demand and may make the 20K model a better choice in the long term.

In the meantime, they will probably be adding temporary seating for the U-20, and I would love to see TFC keep it around for the rest of the season (Beckham game + playoff run or even playoffs). Keeping that section for game-day walk-ups would help to keep the scalpers in line. WHO EVER THOUGHT THAT PROFESSIONAL SOCCER IN CANADA WOULD HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SCALPERS! Continued sales success could see expansion in the future, but I would be happy if they started this fall with just a roof for the already double-tiered West side. It would be progress.

quote:Speaking of which, are playoff matches included or to be sold apart from the season tix packages?

They cannot be included because they cannot be guaranteed. I'm sure it is fair to say that season ticket holders would get first shot at them though - and a chance to keep their regular season seat.

quote:Another suggestion: here in Barcelona almost all the seats are taken by club members, but many don't or can't go to all games (out of towners rarely go to mid-week Champions games, for example). So you have empty seats, which is bad for the team, as the ambience suffers, the support is weaker though the seats are sold. So what they do through the online and ATM ticketing systems, is allow season tix holders to release their seats to be resold online a limited number of times a year. The season tix holder gets a part of the sale (they limit it so it cannot turn into a business, I think half a dozen times a year or so), while the club gets a share and the ticketing agent their commission. This is a great way to attract walk up and fill the stadium even when, in principle, the stadium is near to being sold out. And allows anyone interested in a specific game to get tix in a good spot, even when it appears to have been sold out. Also limits temptations to pass on seats to scalpers. Any such system ever used in North America that anyone knows?

I'm not sure if MLSE would get involved in something like this. I'm sure that TFC staff is much smaller than what the Leafs and Raptors have for the ACC. As a lurker on the U-Sector site, I know that season ticket holders there have mentioned sharing tickets and creating a forum for ticket exchanges, but they haven't done it yet - THE LAZY BASTARDS! :D. I have no idea if the Red Patch Brigade will do the same. Both groups have posters here, so I'm sure they will let you know.

Guest Jeffery S.

Replying to KAS, regarding ticket exchanges. On the Liverpool supporter site Red and White Kop there is a ticket exchange with a very straight, honest set up, which I would recommend using as a reference. No scalping (touting), meaning folks exchange without making money on the tix they can't use, and everything is out in the open and straight up.

It is a section of the fan forum, and I think it would be a legit model to apply for any of the TO supporter groups:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?board=27.0

I am surprised there is no such resale possibility for season tix holders in North America, if that is what you are saying. The technology is not that difficult, holders log on to special sections of online ticketing sites, indicate the seats they want to put up for sale, they go into the general pack for sale online, and if someone bites the same system that can charge online rebates online. Not a difficult technology and very practical.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Replying to KAS, regarding ticket exchanges. On the Liverpool supporter site Red and White Kop there is a ticket exchange with a very straight, honest set up, which I would recommend using as a reference. No scalping (touting), meaning folks exchange without making money on the tix they can't use, and everything is out in the open and straight up.

It is a section of the fan forum, and I think it would be a legit model to apply for any of the TO supporter groups:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?board=27.0

That sounds interesting. I cannot speak for U-Sector as I am not a member (I just lurk), but I have read posts there suggesting that they may set up a very informal system where people who want tickets can ask if anyone has any available, and those who do can post what seats they have (#/section/game) and the price. I imagine it would also be just a face-value thing - no scalping - and would probably be done on the side between individuals. I have no idea if Red Patch Brigade will do anything along these lines.

Of course, there are U-Sector people here (Rudi? Keay Bros?), so someone is going to read this and bail me out with a real answer on what their plans are. I just lurk there.

quote:I am surprised there is no such resale possibility for season tix holders in North America, if that is what you are saying. The technology is not that difficult, holders log on to special sections of online ticketing sites, indicate the seats they want to put up for sale, they go into the general pack for sale online, and if someone bites the same system that can charge online rebates online. Not a difficult technology and very practical.

I am not aware of any technical reasons why this can't be done (although I am pleading ignorance here), I'm just saying that with the first home game still three months and one day away, nothing has been done YET. There is no need to establish such a system until atleast mid-April, and it impossible for anyone to already know exactly which games they can and cannot make as the entire schedule is not out yet. My guess is that nobody is going to create anything until it is needed.

I don't think MLSE has announced any plans to do something like this. That is probably just as well as they would charge a fee to cover their costs. Although empty seats, even ones that are already sold through season ticket sales, reduces revenue (empty seats don't eat/drink/read programmes/wears shirts and hats), MLSE might be happy to just let the supporters groups fill unused seats as that way it doesn't cost them anything.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

That sounds interesting. I cannot speak for U-Sector as I am not a member (I just lurk), but I have read posts there suggesting that they may set up a very informal system where people who want tickets can ask if anyone has any available, and those who do can post what seats they have (#/section/game) and the price. I imagine it would also be just a face-value thing - no scalping - and would probably be done on the side between individuals. I have no idea if Red Patch Brigade will do anything along these lines.

Of course, there are U-Sector people here (Rudi? Keay Bros?), so someone is going to read this and bail me out with a real answer on what their plans are. I just lurk there.

I am not aware of any technical reasons why this can't be done (although I am pleading ignorance here), I'm just saying that with the first home game still three months and one day away, nothing has been done YET. There is no need to establish such a system until atleast mid-April, and it impossible for anyone to already know exactly which games they can and cannot make as the entire schedule is not out yet. My guess is that nobody is going to create anything until it is needed.

I don't think MLSE has announced any plans to do something like this. That is probably just as well as they would charge a fee to cover their costs. Although empty seats, even ones that are already sold through season ticket sales, reduces revenue (empty seats don't eat/drink/read programmes/wears shirts and hats), MLSE might be happy to just let the supporters groups fill unused seats as that way it doesn't cost them anything.

Actually the Red and White Kop (a site I read quite frequently, actually) ticket exchange was what I had in mind to use for U-Sector.

The issue of stadium size is definitely a question right now. I think they'll wait and see what the renewal rate will be like for the next couple of years before expanding, but at this point I would have to say its a strong possibility.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

mlsintoronto has posted on bigsoccer that season ticket sales have now surpassed the 11,000 mark.

Just a head's up to those who are interested: further down the same bigsoccer thread, MLSinToronto responded to a question about half/partial season ticket sales by suggesting (perhaps not seriously) that the unexpected success of full season ticket sales may mean that there will not be enough "product" left to do any half-season sales once the schedule is out as originally planned. This change could definitely catch a few people out!

Obviously, even MLSE are stunned at the success. Their projections, likely conservative to start with, have probably been blown out of the water, and they are now scrambling to keep up with demand. I doubt that the idea of capping season ticket sales was ever considered, never mind planned for (has it ever been for professional soccer in Canada?), but I'm sure MLSE is starting to consider it now!

What do you guys think? Should season tickets be capped? My guess is that they will probably reach the 12K mark around the time that the full MLS schedule is released, would that be a good time/place to cap it?

I'm sure capping tickets this year would keep renewal rates for next year extremely high. TFC might reach 12K even earlier next year if people knew there was the cap threat. Nothing makes people want something more than to tell them they can't have it. I call that the "Lesbian Supermodel Rule" - TRADEMARKED! Capping would also be one hell of a good media story, and such a show of strength would likely stun some critics into (temporary) silence.

So . . . try to sell-out the entire stadium before the season even starts (and guarantee your money at the discounted price), or cap the seasons and risk a few unsold seats by trying to get more individuls to visit the stadium and experience the game live (at the higher single-game prices)? Your thoughts?

As I said before the scalpers are paying a lot of attention. This place will be sold out for every game.The media will be scrambling and MLSE will be talking to some architects.The CSA will be in soccer heaven and we will have all the fun in the world.That is only for starters.

All I want is my boy from Pickering and that creep Dero would be the amazing dream.

That all without that lesbian.

Guys I saw the writing on the wall the moment MLSE got involved. The media cannot piss these guys of,it's to big to handle for "Perki,Woozzey and Bobby"

Archived