Paul Stalteri's Future

JamesW

Martin Jol resigned apparently before the loss against Getafe. Maybe the new manager will give Stalteri more of a chance than Jol did. Chimbonda is probably a better player than Stalteri but with the poor results and Lee's continued bad play it is certainly had to understand why Stalteri was not given a chance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7063013.stm

Jol steps down as Tottenham boss

Spurs are third from bottom in the Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur manager Martin Jol has parted company with the club after their poor start to the season.

Jol reportedly resigned before taking charge for the game against Getafe - a 2-1 defeat in the Uefa Cup.

As a plc, Tottenham are unlikely to make a statement on Jol's position until early on Friday due to Stock Exchange rules.

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos has reportedly agreed to become Spurs' new manager at the start of next season.

It was claimed Spurs met Ramos in August with a "dizzying" offer to replace the 51-year-old Jol at White Hart Lane.

But with Sevilla in the Champions League Ramos opted to see out his contract with the Spanish club which expires next summer.

Ramos is regarded as one of the most promising coaches in European football after guiding Sevilla to back-to-back Uefa Cup titles.

Sevilla beat Spurs on the way to their success in last season's Uefa Cup, while Ramos also led his side to third in La Liga and victory in the Copa del Rey - Spain's top domestic cup competition.

The Times newspaper has also reported Gus Poyet, the former Tottenham and Chelsea midfield player, has been approached to become the assistant manager.

606: DEBATE

With the tactics and team selections from Jol I can no longer defend his corner

tottylover01

During the defeat to Getafe in a a Group G game Spurs fans gave vocal support to the Dutchman singing "Stand up for Martin Jol" during the match.

Jol took charge of Spurs in November 2004, taking over from Frenchman Jacques Santini and under the Dutchman the club twice qualified for the Uefa Cup.

Having recruited the likes of Darren Bent, who cost £16.5m, Gareth Bale and French defender Younes Kaboul during the summer, Tottenham had high hopes of challenging for a Champions League place.

But Spurs have suffered a disastrous start, recording just one victory - the 4-0 win over Derby in August - and since the reported meeting with Ramos, Jol has faced constant questioning over his future.

Jol's agent is currently in Brazil and was unavailable for comment late on Thursday.

"Given what he did last season I don't think he will have a problem finding a new job," said Getafe boss Michael Laudrup after his side's win.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Any of you non-Spanish speakers want to take a stab at translating the name "Juande" for us? Hispanos desist. A literal translation, should not be hard.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Any of you non-Spanish speakers want to take a stab at translating the name "Juande" for us? Hispanos desist. A literal translation, should not be hard.

I suspect you're being rhetorical, but I cannot refuse a trivia test. I could have tried some on-line translation, but figured I'd have some fun without it.

Juande = Wanda

Did I win? {And what's my prize? Jeffrey's love and admiration? [Okay, that last bit was seriously rhetorical]}

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Juan = john(?)

juande = john e or johnny

I'll pass on the prize if I'm right and on the scorn if I'm wrong.

Juande is certainly not a common given name, I never have heard it before. Maybe it is just a name that was passed down within particular families where the surnames were something like

"de la Morena" (like O`Connell or MacDonald ) and somewhere in the family background someone was called "Juande" was used to differentiate him from all the other Juans in the area.

My strongest bet is that it is a shortened form of the formerly popular given name "Juan de Dios" (John of God, or Joan de Déu in Catalan): He is the Catholic saint of hospitals and of the City of Granada, especially popular in Adulucia (Southern Spain) where (although born in Portugal) there is an Order named after him. Although it is considered old fashioned, I assume that other people have been given this name since the famous tango composer Juan de Dios Filiberto (1885-1964). Juande is probably a shortened version, especailly used on the football pitch where names like Aloyishes would naturally be shortened. Is Juande Ramos from Andulucia?

If it is a word that means something, it is probably a regional one, slang.

Okay, we give up Jeffrey.

As a Spanish speaker (although not that fluent), I guess I am not allowed to answer[}:)]

His full name is Juan de la Cruz Ramos Cano, so really it's

"John of" literally. Isn't "Juan de la Cruz" like "John Doe",

a common name? Or am I reading something else?

My guess is that Juande is like "Johnny Doe", a pen name.

(I must be avoiding work or sleep to answer this question.) ;)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Juande is certainly not a common given name, I never have heard it before. Maybe it is just a name that was passed down within particular families where the surnames were something like

"de la Morena" (like O`Connell or MacDonald ) and somewhere in the family background someone was called "Juande" was used to differentiate him from all the other Juans in the area.

My strongest bet is that it is a shortened form of the formerly popular given name "Juan de Dios" (John of God, or Joan de Déu in Catalan): He is the Catholic saint of hospitals and of the City of Granada, especially popular in Adulucia (Southern Spain) where (although born in Portugal) there is an Order named after him. Although it is considered old fashioned, I assume that other people have been given this name since the famous tango composer Juan de Dios Filiberto (1885-1964). Juande is probably a shortened version, especailly used on the football pitch where names like Aloyishes would naturally be shortened. Is Juande Ramos from Andulucia?

If it is a word that means something, it is probably a regional one, slang.

Okay, we give up Jeffrey.

As a Spanish speaker (although not that fluent), I guess I am not allowed to answer[}:)]

You are right, you are not allowed to answer as a Spanish speaker. What is your favourite Filiberto tango by the way?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by redhat

His full name is Juan de la Cruz Ramos Cano, so really it's

"John of" literally. Isn't "Juan de la Cruz" like "John Doe",

a common name? Or am I reading something else?

My guess is that Juande is like "Johnny Doe", a pen name.

(I must be avoiding work or sleep to answer this question.) ;)

You win it. I never thought of a prize but since you didn't ask. But hey, if you send me your mailing address to my personal email I will send you something, promise.

Juande is actually quite a common name in some parts of Spain, like Andalucia, Canaries. It could be Juan de Dios, as mentioned, or Juan de la Cruz. Juan de la Peña is also possible. Names of saints, abbreviated by family normally or friends to Juande.

Juan de Dios, or John of the Cross in English, was a mystical poet from the 16th century.

I happen to find the name funny because, as Redhat has said, it literally means "John of".

Paul didn't play again today, but he at least made it to the bench. It is really quite surprising that he doesn't get more playing time. Sure he is prone to making a gaffe or two that may or may not cost Tottenham points, but he has also won them points in the past (i.e. West Ham last year). More importanlty, the defence that they play now are not doing any better. Plus, when they played Paul on a regular basis, the worst the team finished was 5th in the league...

Paul didn't play again today, but he at least made it to the bench. It is really quite surprising that he doesn't get more playing time. Sure he is prone to making a gaffe or two that may or may not cost Tottenham points, but he has also won them points in the past (i.e. West Ham last year). More importanlty, the defence that they play now are not doing any better. Plus, when they played Paul on a regular basis, the worst the team finished was 5th in the league...

You know I wonder if all this is showing is that Paul isn't good enough for Tottenham's lineup. And lets face it, if you can't make Tottenham's back four you belong in the Championship. This then makes me ask (and I have asked this before) is Stalteri a shoe in for team Canada's starting eleven?

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

You know I wonder if all this is showing is that Paul isn't good enough for Tottenham's lineup. And lets face it, if you can't make Tottenham's back four you belong in the Championship. This then makes me ask (and I have asked this before) is Stalteri a shoe in for team Canada's starting eleven?

He was good enough for the starting lineup of a far superior team to Tottenham in Werder Bremen. I think the problems Stalteri has had at Spurs have more to do with the poor management of Spurs than Stalteri's deficiencies. Considering he can play almost every position at the very least he should be used as injury cover by a decent manager. I think one of Spurs problems is that they overestimate themselves due to historical achievements. They are mostly a mid to lower table team in recent history. Stalteri is an effective player not a pretty, technical player and this seems to be a mark against him at Spurs. Spurs defence is far from stellar so it is hard too see why Stalteri is not even utilized as a sub.

If Stalteri is playing I think he is an automatic starter. Whenever he is not playing his play seems to suffer so maybe he is not an automatic starter unless we can get him some regular friendly or training action before a WCQ game. Obviously he needs to transfer to another club.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

He was good enough for the starting lineup of a far superior team to Tottenham in Werder Bremen. I think the problems Stalteri has had at Spurs have more to do with the poor management of Spurs than Stalteri's deficiencies. Considering he can play almost every position at the very least he should be used as injury cover by a decent manager. I think one of Spurs problems is that they overestimate themselves due to historical achievements. They are mostly a mid to lower table team in recent history. Stalteri is an effective player not a pretty, technical player and this seems to be a mark against him at Spurs. Spurs defence is far from stellar so it is hard too see why Stalteri is not even utilized as a sub.

If Stalteri is playing I think he is an automatic starter. Whenever he is not playing his play seems to suffer so maybe he is not an automatic starter unless we can get him some regular friendly or training action before a WCQ game. Obviously he needs to transfer to another club.

I really agree with you. Hanging around any Spurs chat room is a bizarre experience. All their fans think they are the cat's ass but the reality is that they have achieved exactly zilch in the last three decades. Paul's style is to be ugly and win whereas Spurs like to be pretty even if it means they will lose.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

You know I wonder if all this is showing is that Paul isn't good enough for Tottenham's lineup. And lets face it, if you can't make Tottenham's back four you belong in the Championship.

I know what you mean, but I do think he is Premiership quality.

Winning the double in Bundesliga with Bremen is no small feat,

in light of powerhouses like Bayern.

The problem is that despite the Spurs having very good players

and going after a few in the open market, they are NOT playing

as a team. Like Grizzly pointed out, Paul can play practically

ALL positions (except GK) and is definitely a great cover for

RB and LB. His UEFA experience is invaluable, but you'll never

know that because he was never flashy. He initiates a bit of

offense, like in last year's wild game against West Ham, where

his goal actually resulted from a play started by him.

He is easily a target by fans, especially a first Jol selection,

but just look how crappy they play without him. Maybe he can

play for someone else, another EPL or Bundesliga team.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I'm willing to bet that Paul could catch on with a 1.Bundesliga team in a heart beat. And he could instantly become a starter there. I'm hoping he can leave Spurs in January.

Not only could he catch on with a Bundesliga team in a heartbeat and become a starter, he could catch on with a Bundesliga team that is far superior to Spurs.

Archived