Paul Stalteri's Future

JamesW

I think Paul's strength at this stage of his career is his positional play: IMO he has a very good understanding of how to provide cover for his centre backs, demonstrated by his excellent tackle on Kanoute during the away UEFA Cup tie last year. He still gets into trouble when he dives into a challenge now and then, but he knows how to work within a team defensive concept and that really helps us with the MNT. Also, his attitude has been a big plus: I don't hear him moaning in the press about his situation, and when he moved from central mid to the right back spot on the MNT he was positive about it when he could have easily had a primadonna attitude and demanded that his lofty status in the Bundesliga entitled him to an automatic first team spot as the midfield general. Massive props, Paul!

However, we are talking about his career and capabilities right now and not about his past performances and accomplishments with previous clubs. There are a few warning signs emerging: be it through leg injuries and/or age, he seems to be missing that extra gear needed to recover in a 1 v 1 situation (I was concerned about this during the early season loss to Everton this year). Fullback is a position premised on athleticism and pace and if you start losing either it doesn't take long before you become a liability out there, especially for players who are not remarkable on the technical offensive side of the game.

Paul needs to be playing regular first team football so he needs a move during the winter transfer window, even if it's out of the Prem. And at this time, he's still my starter at right back for the MNT with the guess that Serioux could be his deputy and Ledgerwood his heir apparent.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

Stalteri played a full 90 as Tottenham won 2-0! One would hope that Ramos now thinks of Stalteri as a possible starter.

Cheers

Yeah you might hope but there wasnt a single left-back in the squad so I think it's a case of wishful thinking.

As mentioned earlier. A move to Germany might suit him great...especially in the final years of his career. Would be a waste to spend them on the bench even though Tottenham are a big club.

Did all right. Not exactly the hardest test 'Spurs will face this year though. May take a bit to shake off the rust though, and there is some rust showing. Put a few poor left footers across the box but on a positive was pretty selective about when he pushed up field.

Chimbonda at centre half looked a disaster. Scary, scary stuff but that may be down as much to the match as to Chimbonda personaly.

If they can go deep into the tourny the UEFA Cup may save some of 'Spurses dignity this season. Sounds funny coming at the beginning of November but they've no chance of progressing into Europe next year. Still, the more games the team plays the more games Paul will play so fingers and toes crossed.

Stalteri would be great for TFC. TFC needs to rebuild their back four and also they need to move Brennan into midfield to lead the transiton play. Stalteri would be a tower of strength and pull the defence together. He is a real leader and at TFC he'd be a highly compatable with Brennan, Dichio, and Edu -- in terms of high workrate and hustle on-the-field.

For his sake, I hope he eventually gets a chance to play back home. But, for now, I also hope he recovers from his injury and has a smashing year in the EPL. Go Hotspurs!

the most annoying part about TFC is that every thread on this forum even remotely referencing a canadian player inevitably has 3 posts saying that he should play for TFC.

the prem to MLS would be disappointing end to what was once a promising career....hopefully he still has a few years at top level football in europe (germany?) before he is put out to pasture in T.O.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Did all right. Not exactly the hardest test 'Spurs will face this year though. May take a bit to shake off the rust though, and there is some rust showing. Put a few poor left footers across the box but on a positive was pretty selective about when he pushed up field.

Chimbonda at centre half looked a disaster. Scary, scary stuff but that may be down as much to the match as to Chimbonda personaly.

So was Stalteri playing on the left?? Did he get any right footed crosses in?

Regardless of how he played in this match, Chimbonda is once again seen as the "go to" guy when they need an emergency centre back, just like last season.

"the prem to MLS would be disappointing end to what was once a promising career...."

I wouldn't say that Paul not playing is a good thing, but to say he had a once promising career, and that somehow he's turned out a dud is a tad unfair. I believe he is the only Canadian player in the premiership...and he's had a long top flight career and won a title with Werder Bremen. I think a lot of players would accept his lot...and he can still make it at Spurs if he stays clear of injury...

quote:Originally posted by manutd1

"the prem to MLS would be disappointing end to what was once a promising career...."

I wouldn't say that Paul not playing is a good thing, but to say he had a once promising career, and that somehow he's turned out a dud is a tad unfair. I believe he is the only Canadian player in the premiership...and he's had a long top flight career and won a title with Werder Bremen. I think a lot of players would accept his lot...and he can still make it at Spurs if he stays clear of injury...

oh yeah, thats exactly my point...just because toronto has a team now everyone seems to think that MLS is some great league that we should aspire our best footballers to come to.

for years we have bemoaned the fact the Dero hasnt been able to move to a higher level, but now that TFC is around it is ok for our only prem quality player to come to MLS?...it is a HUGE step down and i want our best to achieve as much as they can...

every discussion here of every player, no matter the quality ends in "he should come play for TFC"....i like TFC, but it is a springboard to better for our young players, not a place for our best.

i dont think he is a dud at all...which is why i dont want him to take 2 steps down and come to the MLS.

I think DeRo's success in MLS shows that, if given the chance to play regularly and be an integral part of your club side, playing regularly in MLS will not hinder a players development and is certainly no worse than playing in Sweden, Norway, Czech Republic, Belgium, etc.... And It is certainly better than not playing in England.

Unless you are going to play regularly in one of the top 5 or 6 leagues in Europe, I'd rather see Paul (or any other Canadian for that matter) play regularly for an MLS side rather than ride the bench and stagnate in Europe. Some people might dismiss the quality of MLS but i have little time for that kind of debate. I've followed MLS relatively closely for about 3 years and the quality of play gets better and better. It's not much different than the CCC matches I've watched on Setanta, that's for sure.

watch a game played at that stadium in salt lake city and tell me about the quality of MLS....they might be better off playing in the parking lot.

or how about KC's new home...a step up from arrowhead....at least its grass and wont have american football lines like a few other venues.

seating_map.gif

this is CCC quality?

No argument that several of the facilities in MLS are terrible. The KC temporary stadium is an embarrasing joke. salt lake will have a nice facility in a year or so, which is good but still means another year in Rice-Eccles, which is unfortunate. as more soccer specific stadiums come online, that argument will go away.

However, what the quality of the stadiums have to do with the quality of play on the field, I'm not sure. I would confidently say that the 3 of the 4 teams that were involved in the MLS semi-finals are better than QPR, Crystal Palace or Norwich. A healthy Chivas USA is also good enough to beat those 3 CCC minows on most days. Dynamo is definitely a better team than likely the bottom 1/3 of the CCC teams and would likely hold their own with the mid table sides.

Strange how Ramos works. Stalteri started in the UEFA Cup game this past week, but according to eurosport, he is not playing and hes not even on the bench. This is a signal Paul, Time to move on! I think he is a decent enough player that he could get a contract with another premiership team such as Birmingham or Wigan...thoughts?

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

However, what the quality of the stadiums have to do with the quality of play on the field, I'm not sure. I would confidently say that the 3 of the 4 teams that were involved in the MLS semi-finals are better than QPR, Crystal Palace or Norwich. A healthy Chivas USA is also good enough to beat those 3 CCC minows on most days. Dynamo is definitely a better team than likely the bottom 1/3 of the CCC teams and would likely hold their own with the mid table sides.

the quality of these venues affects the quality of the game and of the league itself....no matter how good the players are, the game is affected by playing on plastic and in inadequate stadia.

i am sure that the best MLS teams could beat some of the worst CCC teams, but its hard to consider them equals until at least MLS plays their games in places that are not embarassing and where the balls dont bounce like they are on concrete....salt lake games dont even look like soccer.

imagine going from the prem or even CCC in a first rate facility with a pristine pitch in a football crazed city, and then all of a sudden you are playing in front of 10 000 people in a minor league baseball stadium.

the leagues are not the same quality, no matter what the skill level of the players are.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

the quality of these venues affects the quality of the game and of the league itself....no matter how good the players are, the game is affected by playing on plastic and in inadequate stadia.

i am sure that the best MLS teams could beat some of the worst CCC teams, but its hard to consider them equals until at least MLS plays their games in places that are not embarassing and where the balls dont bounce like they are on concrete....salt lake games dont even look like soccer.

imagine going from the prem or even CCC in a first rate facility with a pristine pitch in a football crazed city, and then all of a sudden you are playing in front of 10 000 people in a minor league baseball stadium.

the leagues are not the same quality, no matter what the skill level of the players are.

Like I said, there can be no argument when it comes to the horrible quality of some of the MLS facilities. I really can't believe how little emphasis the league appears to place on making sure the stadiums their teams play in actually look like soccer facilities on game day.

However, when I watch games played by the upper echelon teams played in decent stadiums, the quality of play is good / very good and it feels like a soccer match should feel. Obviously, BMO is an excellent soccer facility, Toyota Park is great, as is the "Dick" in Colorado, Home Depot Center in LA and Pizza Hut Park in Dallas. Robertson stadium in Houston is ok for most of the season until pointy ball season kicks off. RFK I have no problem with, especially now that the baseball team has moved out. Sadly, that is only about 1/2 the stadiums in the league. However, in the next 1-2 seasons, that situation should improve significantly when Salt Lake get their new facility and Red Bulls finally get theirs.

Again, I can't dispute the stadium difficiencies in MLS but when it comes to Paul Staltieri's future, I'd still rather see him playing at a relatively high level every week than rotting on Spurs' bench. I'm sure its a matter of the money is too good in England for him to consider moving...plus life in London can be very attractive.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

Strange how Ramos works. Stalteri started in the UEFA Cup game this past week, but according to eurosport, he is not playing and hes not even on the bench. This is a signal Paul, Time to move on! I think he is a decent enough player that he could get a contract with another premiership team such as Birmingham or Wigan...thoughts?

Cheers

I didn't see any last minute injury reports pertaining to Stalteri (anyone in the know?), so I guess he was just a healthy scratch. Even more disconcerting for him is that this young player was on the subs' bench instead:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/players/reserves/troyarchibaldhenville.html

Not a good sign . . . time to move on.

Archived