Paul Stalteri's Future

JamesW

Hey all,

What is up with Paul Stalteri? He once again failed to even make the bench today as Tottenham Hotspur played Arsenal. Why is this? I had heard something about a knee. Is that the reason?

Any chance he will be packing his bags and leaving Tottenham?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I see a real crossroads in his career that may hit critical mass during the January transfer window. At least let him go on loan somewhere and let him play week-in week-out, assuming he can regain his fitness for any length of time. Must be a damn frustrating season for Paul.

Yeah, he's not exactly adjusting to the EPL very well so far, but he's a buy so he'll be there for a while yet barring injury. Never gave Diesel a thought at left 'back. His left foot can't be any worse than Lee's which as we all know is absolutely awefull.

You know, just when I though Chimboda was starting to show some of last years form he's recently had some pretty dodgy spells himself. Only caught the 1st half of the match from Emirates this early morning but he was getting just killed out there. And that's Arsenal less one T. Henry! Tough break on the penalty call though, but you take your chances on tackles like that.

Lots of football still. It's going to be tough getting the fitness and timing up even when he does come back.

Seems Stalteri will be in the squad tomorrow night against Middlesbrough http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/teamnews041206.html

Edgar Davids, Mido and Anthony Gardner remain out, Hossam Ghaly is suspended but Paul Stalteri looks set to return to the squad after his knee injury at MK Dons in October.

Martin added: "Paul Stalteri will be in the squad, he's trained well and looked fine

Despite all of the gnashing of teeth over Stalteri he has been injured since the start of the season and although he has made a few attempts at returning (possibly prematurely) he has not been in any shape to fight for his spot. Let us not forget that Stalteri managed to keep his spot at Werder Bremen for years, a team not only equivalent to Spurs but probably actually superior over the last decade, regardless of who they brought in to replace him and despite early criticism from fans about his less than technically beautiful style of play. Let us also not forget that he was a starter on Spurs during their most successful season in recent memory and now the team finds itself back in its usual mid-table position of mediocrity and in fact are not even fully free of relegation danger.

There is little similarity between the DeGuzman and Stalteri cases. DeGuzman transferred to a better club in a better league and although he has also had some injury problems he was never a steady starter at this club when fit for whatever reason (possibilities: never given a proper chance by coach, the level of the team was just too high, style didn't suit La Liga). Staleteri transferred to a poorer club in a better league and was a steady starter when fit. I think once he is back in game shape he will be back in the picture as an important player for Spurs. If he is not then we can worry and speculate about his future. He has had a major injury, the first in his career. Let the guy recover and be in a position to be a starter before starting all the speculation.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Despite all of the gnashing of teeth over Stalteri he has been injured since the start of the season and although he has made a few attempts at returning (possibly prematurely) he has not been in any shape to fight for his spot. Let us not forget that Stalteri managed to keep his spot at Werder Bremen for years, a team not only equivalent to Spurs but probably actually superior over the last decade, regardless of who they brought in to replace him and despite early criticism from fans about his less than technically beautiful style of play. Let us also not forget that he was a starter on Spurs during their most successful season in recent memory and now the team finds itself back in its usual mid-table position of mediocrity and in fact are not even fully free of relegation danger.

There is little similarity between the DeGuzman and Stalteri cases. DeGuzman transferred to a better club in a better league and although he has also had some injury problems he was never a steady starter at this club when fit for whatever reason (possibilities: never given a proper chance by coach, the level of the team was just too high, style didn't suit La Liga). Staleteri transferred to a poorer club in a better league and was a steady starter when fit. I think once he is back in game shape he will be back in the picture as an important player for Spurs. If he is not then we can worry and speculate about his future. He has had a major injury, the first in his career. Let the guy recover and be in a position to be a starter before starting all the speculation.

I think if you look at Julian's numbers from last year they are in fact quite good, he sat many games, but the coach was rotating the squad and few others in the middle were starting every match, so he was one amongst 4 or 5 getting regular minutes and contributing to a year where they missed a UEFA spot on the last day.

This year perhaps his case is like Stalteri's, he has been injured, the team has been trying changes that have not really worked, they are doing worse than last year. Only perhaps Julian will not get a real chance and Paul will. In any case, since his salary at Depor must be good and likely he has a few years of contract left, I doubt he will pick up and leave that quickly or easily.

DeGuzman started 17 games last year whereas Stalteri started 33 which is a pretty big difference. Both have had injury problems this year but Stalteri's problems have been more serious. There were quite a few games where DeGuzman was available to play but did not. I would be surprised if he stayed much longer at Depor unless they start giving him some playing time. I expect to see him back in the Bundesliga after the Christmas break or at the latest in the summer.

• 10 months later...

I think TFC has more critical issues then LB. With Wynne, Brennan, and Dunnivant, they have plenty of adequet options on the left side. I would much rather see a dominant centre back or attacking midfielder.

Plus, Stalteri probably has a number years left in him to play in a top level European league.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Nitpicking, but although Paul can play left, he is mainly a right sided player. Although I don't think it will happen anytime soon, having Paul and Wynne on the right side at TFC would be nice.

Yep, you're right. I got mixed up. While TFC could definetly use some help at RB, I wouldn't want to use a DP on one.

If you need a Right Back / Centre Back I have the perfect option for you guys..!

A former Cult-Hero of my favourite team Feyenoord. His name is Christian Gyan (2-11-1978) and he's out of contract. Rarely played , always did his job and an absolute succes with the fans. Played a great game in the Uefa Cup final as well. He was born in Ghana but I'm pretty sure he holds a Dutch passport as well. He can play Right-Back and Centre Back and doesnt need a lot of money (Salary).

Was on trial at Helsingborg a while back but wasnt offered a contract. He's a pretty funny and religious dude. Always bends down on his knees before a game and praying to the sky or he stands like jesus before the game. It's quite a sight..:D

1996/97 Feyenoord 0 0 Eredivisie

1997/98 Excelsior 16 0 Eerste divisie

1997/98 Feyenoord 14 0 Eredivisie

1998/99 Feyenoord 12 1 Eredivisie

1999/00 Feyenoord 9 0 Eredivisie

2000/01 Feyenoord 13 2 Eredivisie

2001/02 Feyenoord 16 0 Eredivisie

2002/03 Feyenoord 12 0 Eredivisie

2003/04 Feyenoord 7 0 Eredivisie

2004/05 Feyenoord 8 0 Eredivisie

2005/06 Feyenoord 2 0 Eredivisie

2006/07 Excelsior 16 0 Eredivisie