Toronto FC -Roster Dance

MM2

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

And Ronnie O'Brien is now out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury.....

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070404.wsptobrien4/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Huge loss given the marquuee value of O'brien and what what he brings from an offesive standpoint.

That might mean that Brennan gets moved into that spot. Or No?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

And Ronnie O'Brien is now out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury.....

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070404.wsptobrien4/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Huge loss given the marquuee value of O'brien and what what he brings from an offesive standpoint.

That might mean that Brennan gets moved into that spot. Or No?

O'Brien plays on the right side of the midfield, Brennan usually plays on the left, though he's been used in central defense in the friendlies I have seen in the absence of the also injured Marco Reda. Canizalez could play on the right, assuming they sign him. There's also Paulo Nagumura who is an injured midfielder & Maurice Edu - I've never seen them play so I have no idea if they would fit on the right.

Casey, O'Brien, Edu, Nagamura & Reda all injured to start the year, & Robinson hasn't played a game yet with his mates. Going to start the year off in disorganized fashion. Nice to see TFC picking up the MLSE tradition of leading the league in man games lost due to injury......

O'Brien plays on the right side of the midfield, Brennan usually plays on the left, though he's been used in central defense in the friendlies I have seen in the absence of the also injured Marco Reda. Canizalez could play on the right, assuming they sign him. There's also Paulo Nagumura who is an injured midfielder & Maurice Edu - I've never seen them play so I have no idea if they would fit on the right.

Casey, O'Brien, Edu, Nagamura & Reda all injured to start the year, & Robinson hasn't played a game yet with his mates. Going to start the year off in disorganized fashion. Nice to see TFC picking up the MLSE tradition of leading the league in man games lost due to injury......

I would say that the difference in the TFC and Leafs injury tradition though is that one is bad luck while the other is knowingly self-inflicted by poor managers. The Leafs continually sign older players with long injury histories so their predicament is completely predictable every year. It is sometimes hard to stomach Leafs fans moaning about how unlucky they are when every year they sign some guys who the experts say are risky signings because they could be injured for half of the year and lo and behold they are injured for half the year. Have we ever heard the phrase, "Good player if he stays healthy" after a Leafs signing? It is to Mo's credit that he hasn't signed such players even though as an expansion team he probably has to take more risks to get good players. Just a bit of bad luck in my opinion.

I would say that the difference in the TFC and Leafs injury tradition though is that one is bad luck while the other is knowingly self-inflicted by poor managers. The Leafs continually sign older players with long injury histories so their predicament is completely predictable every year. It is sometimes hard to stomach Leafs fans moaning about how unlucky they are when every year they sign some guys who the experts say are risky signings because they could be injured for half of the year and lo and behold they are injured for half the year. Have we ever heard the phrase, "Good player if he stays healthy" after a Leafs signing? It is to Mo's credit that he hasn't signed such players even though as an expansion team he probably has to take more risks to get good players. Just a bit of bad luck in my opinion.

I only added the MLSE comment facetiously rather than seriously, due to the Leafs leading the league in man games lost & TFC having a slew of injuries to start the year, but between the two of them I think TFC would more accurately fit the bill (though that isn't saying much) for deliberately signing players who have a history of injuries (Reda & Casey in particular have been frequently injured for the past few years). I'm not sure who you are referring to on the Leafs front - Peca, perhaps, but he was coming off a fairly healthy run. The other injuries to their key players during this season have been to players who came to the Leafs as young players (Sundin, Tucker) or have been drafted by the Leafs (Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Wellwood, Kaberle & Coliacovo) and would not fit the bill of a "oft-injured old fart" that you are accusing them of signing.

In any event, I don't think this is really the thread for a serious Leafs discussion.

I only added the MLSE comment facetiously rather than seriously, due to the Leafs leading the league in man games lost & TFC having a slew of injuries to start the year, but between the two of them I think TFC would more accurately fit the bill (though that isn't saying much) for deliberately signing players who have a history of injuries (Reda & Casey in particular have been frequently injured for the past few years). I'm not sure who you are referring to on the Leafs front - Peca, perhaps, but he was coming off a fairly healthy run. The other injuries to their key players during this season have been to players who came to the Leafs as young players (Sundin, Tucker) or have been drafted by the Leafs (Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Wellwood, Kaberle & Coliacovo) and would not fit the bill of a "oft-injured old fart" that you are accusing them of signing.

In any event, I don't think this is really the thread for a serious Leafs discussion.

I know it was a facetious comment just thought it was an interesting subject though. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Reda had been fairly healthy for the past couple of seasons. I remember him having a lot of injury problems when he was in Denmark a few years ago but I think he has been reasonably healthy since he returned to Norway. I don't remember Casey having many injury problems either. He has played a lot of games since he was in Germany and mostly had problems scoring in the last couple of years mostly because he is probably more of a 2nd BL player than a 1st BL player. The Leafs have for a long time always had one of the oldest teams in the league and not surprisingly one of the most injured. Plus, it seems every year they sign one guy who is a huge injury risk and does in fact miss half the season. This predictable half season injury is what usually puts them over the limit of what a normal team could expect in the course of a year to being the team with the most injuries. I find it hard to drum up much sympathy for their injury woes because of this and submit that it is no coincidence that the lead the league in injuries many years.

I know it was a facetious comment just thought it was an interesting subject though. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Reda had been fairly healthy for the past couple of seasons. I remember him having a lot of injury problems when he was in Denmark a few years ago but I think he has been reasonably healthy since he returned to Norway. I don't remember Casey having many injury problems either. He has played a lot of games since he was in Germany and mostly had problems scoring in the last couple of years mostly because he is probably more of a 2nd BL player than a 1st BL player. The Leafs have for a long time always had one of the oldest teams in the league and not surprisingly one of the most injured. Plus, it seems every year they sign one guy who is a huge injury risk and does in fact miss half the season. This predictable half season injury is what usually puts them over the limit of what a normal team could expect in the course of a year to being the team with the most injuries. I find it hard to drum up much sympathy for their injury woes because of this and submit that it is no coincidence that the lead the league in injuries many years.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The glaring hole at the moment is that there is no backup keeper for Sutton unless they are going to go with one of the Canadians on the developmental roster. It would be surprising if they didn't get someone with some MLS or similar level experience.

I wonder if MoJo's meeting with the MNT brass in Florida earlier this winter had anything to do with his envisioning difficulty finding a backup keeper. Let's face it, it would be ideal for the roster situation for the second-string keeper to be Canadian. In lieu of finding someone sufficient (and I can't think of too many candidates) I wonder if he sought assurances that Sutton would not be called for the Gold Cup, seeing that Hirschfeld, Stamatopolous and Wagenaar are all considered to be in the keeper pool for Canada.

MoJo catches me as an excellent backroom politician and who knows, maybe he secured such a deal. Now if Sutton gets hurt, all bets are off. It would be risky to assume he's going to make it through a schedule of 30 league fixtures without picking up a knock or two.

So, in essence, I guess I agree with the point. It's odd they haven't filled the role yet.

I posted something similar to that on the Usector forum. I think Sutton will remain with TFC during the GC unless he's the projected starter for our new coach. No need to call him to be the back up, this should be Wagenaar task (unless he's the starter).

So, don't call Sutton to back up Lars and don't call Lars to back up Sutton.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I posted something similar to that on the Usector forum. I think Sutton will remain with TFC during the GC unless he's the projected starter for our new coach. No need to call him to be the back up, this should be Wagenaar task (unless he's the starter).

So, don't call Sutton to back up Lars and don't call Lars to back up Sutton.

If we have a keeper injured or suspended at the GC, call him in at that point but let's not have him sitting around down there garnering splinters.

db

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

I wonder if MoJo's meeting with the MNT brass in Florida earlier this winter had anything to do with his envisioning difficulty finding a backup keeper. Let's face it, it would be ideal for the roster situation for the second-string keeper to be Canadian. In lieu of finding someone sufficient (and I can't think of too many candidates) I wonder if he sought assurances that Sutton would not be called for the Gold Cup, seeing that Hirschfeld, Stamatopolous and Wagenaar are all considered to be in the keeper pool for Canada.

MoJo catches me as an excellent backroom politician and who knows, maybe he secured such a deal. Now if Sutton gets hurt, all bets are off. It would be risky to assume he's going to make it through a schedule of 30 league fixtures without picking up a knock or two.

So, in essence, I guess I agree with the point. It's odd they haven't filled the role yet.

Geez, the way you put that made me come to an opposite scenario. And one we have seen recently with the women. The national team manager makes a deal with a Canadian team to not take some of their players to an official tournament, then calls up guys playing pro in other leagues of the world, putting the onus on them.

Isn't that what Pellerud did by cutting a deal with the Fury players and ignoring those playing for teams in the US?

Because there is no question who the two top keepers are for Canada, as things stand now, and both are in season all over the summer.

I personally hope that the CSA is not cutting any special deals with Toronto. As we can't, and anyways, since the coach may not be Hart, you cannot tell him that you made a special deal with one club and he has to respect it, regardless of his wanting to call up players on that team. The coach has to be sovereign whatever the deal the CSA decides to make previously with Toronto FC.

Is that what we have come to, hire a new guy to give us results and then take away his power to call up a squad that will give us them because of a gentelmens agreement between his bosses and one pro club his bosses had a part in bringing about?

The difference between the Pellerud deal and this one (which is pure speculation at the moment) is Pellerud deal differently with two teams in the same league who were playing against each other in a playoff semi-final (or quarter).

I don't mind if there's a deal with TFC regarding a certain player but I hope it doesn't apply to more than one or two players. But like you said, we'll surely have a new NT manager at the GC so we can't have that sort of deal right now.

Not trying to create a tempest in a teapot, and I'm only really speculating based on the information from well back that MoJo met with NT bosses in Florida. I'd hope (as all do) that the new MNT head honcho will have the ability to call in whomever he sees fit, including Sutton.

I've not read anything concrete that suggests this sort of arrangement has been agreed upon by the MNT and TFC. I was merely waxing poetic based on the wall MoJo has hit in finding a quality Canadian No. 2 keeper and all the other information.

Simple, pure speculation on my part.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

The difference between the Pellerud deal and this one (which is pure speculation at the moment) is Pellerud deal differently with two teams in the same league who were playing against each other in a playoff semi-final (or quarter).

I don't mind if there's a deal with TFC regarding a certain player but I hope it doesn't apply to more than one or two players. But like you said, we'll surely have a new NT manager at the GC so we can't have that sort of deal right now.

Yes, I know the comparison is not so neat, and hopefully we won't get to that point. But does anyone here really think that come Gold Cup there are not going to be complaints from Dynamo and Galaxy if Toronto looks to be at all favoured, even though they have way more Canadians on the squad and potentially part of the squad?

Maycoll Canizalez added to the senior roster. Gabe Gala to the developmental roster. Leaves one roster spot on the developmental roster, probably a Canadian goalie, ùi have ùmonsalve taking that spot at the moment.

Jose Cancela traded to Colorado.

In what league will the TFC development roster be playing?

and how many games will they be playing?

the Lynx did a great job at helping players thru their development

make a list of all the players in our national pool you will find that a big majoriry of them had lynx connection.

and look at past rosters of u-23,u-20 players and WNT you will end up with the same conclusion,

A partnership between TFC and the lynx will be more beneficial at developing those players

more peoples will attend Lynx games to follow those future TFC players.

they could be a key and inexpensive factor at helping out TFC.

The reserve team plays 12 games. Example, TFC plays Chivas USA tonight and TFC reserve team plays Chivas USA reserves tomorrow morning. Any player on the 28 man roster can play in the reserve game as long as their total playing time in the two games does not exceed 120 minutes. TFC can name 18 players for tonights game, they are allowed three player subs plus a keeper sub. For the reserve game they can name a 20 man roster and are allowed 6 subs during the game.

Archived