Toronto FC -Roster Dance

MM2

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

In some media report, I read that Maycoll is El Salvadoran. I was under the impression he was Canadian. I have read that he is a Toronto native. Does he have a Canadian passport? has he been capped by the MNT at any level?

Just to add to Loyola's info. Born in El Salvador but raised in Toronto, Maycoll was a key member of our U20 team in 2000/2001, playing with Klukowski, de Guzman, Hume, Nsaliwa, Pozniak, Hutchison, etc. He certainly looked to have lots of potential in the qualifying series in Victoria (Feb 2001) where we were undefeated (the same team beat the USA that previous summer in Rhode Island) - see link to game report here, playing under name Miguel Campos - note that Conor Casey was a poster boy for the USA that day: http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=168. He, along with all the rest, looked poor in Argentina but he got a few callups from Holger in 2003 and scored a beauty against Libya.

He is one of the few Cdn players who looked comfortable on the ball. Nice left foot. He was signed to Werder Bremen reserves back in the summer of 2001 (after the U20 WC). He seemed to lose a bit of drive over there, was often injured and was traded to Hannover 96 in 2004. Made sporadic impressions on the coaching staff in Hannover but never had a consistent good stretch and was languishing in the Oberliga Nord this past season (4th division). Best of luck to him with Toronto. If he can find some lost form he will be a very good addition IMHO.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Oppong was forced to leave the game in the 65th minute following a clash with Connor which resulted in the American being red carded. Oppong received nine stitches to repair a cut above his upper lip."

:( Casey Connor is a petulant, sneering, sulking brat of a man boy. Ibrahimovic without the skill. Don't like him. Hope he gets traded.

Ali Ngon changed his name to honour some West African tradition (his family is from Cameroon I believe).

Miguel = Michael = Maycoll so the first name is just a variation. Can't recall the justification for the transition from Campos to Canizales.

In Germany, he was called Maycoll Canizales-Smith.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Ali Ngon changed his name to honour some West African tradition (his family is from Cameroon I believe).

Miguel = Michael = Maycoll so the first name is just a variation. Can't recall the justification for the transition from Campos to Canizales.

In Germany, he was called Maycoll Canizales-Smith.

I seem to recall he was from Central American background, like maybe El Salvador? In any case, I just assumed he had his typical double last name like all Spaniards, meaning both parents had double last names, and maybe something happened like one of them hyphenated his or her last name, adding to his. Which would be why he may have a few last names.

Then there is the possibility of a remarriage and a new name, stuff like that.

I don't really know, but the stuff I have seen with surnames from Spanish and Portuguese making their way into the English speaking world is a bit complicated.

"The Red Bulls are also expected to address their goalkeeper situation before the March 1 deadline for MLS teams to become salary cap compliant. Waterreus is projected as the starter while former starter Jon Conway and newly acquired Nick Rimando are battling for the No. 2 slot. Toronto FC is interested in acquiring Conway and the sides could make a trade."

Move Connor Casey or Casey Connor or whatever his name is.

quote:Originally posted by canso

"The Red Bulls are also expected to address their goalkeeper situation before the March 1 deadline for MLS teams to become salary cap compliant. Waterreus is projected as the starter while former starter Jon Conway and newly acquired Nick Rimando are battling for the No. 2 slot. Toronto FC is interested in acquiring Conway and the sides could make a trade."

Move Connor Casey or Casey Connor or whatever his name is.

For "Wrong Way Conway"? Screw that!

I'm also wondering what happenned with Alim Karim. Last year he was with an Hungarian club but suffered a season ending injury and was reported to be back in Canada. Since then, I haven't heard of him.

Monsalve was in camp in Toronto, but I think he was in Florida with the U-20's. The 3 keepers who played for TFC in Florida were all canadian, Sutton, Tomer C. and Jon Paul Piques. I don't know what's Mo opinion about the last two.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

Are We There Yet? The TFC Roster Situation

Usector.ca takes a look at the current roster, and what needs to be done.

Good piece Ryan, quite clear. Only I was not sure about what March 1 signifies, is that some sort of cut-off point for rosters?

A bit depressing to see how slight the Canadian presence is. We will likely have no attackers starting and maybe a mid. The back line is Canadian but according to your view a bit thin, meaning we need more defenders which could mean less Canucks on the field. I see maybe 3 to five at a time on the pitch, which is okay I guess, for a start.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Good piece Ryan, quite clear. Only I was not sure about what March 1 signifies, is that some sort of cut-off point for rosters?

A bit depressing to see how slight the Canadian presence is. We will likely have no attackers starting and maybe a mid. The back line is Canadian but according to your view a bit thin, meaning we need more defenders which could mean less Canucks on the field. I see maybe 3 to five at a time on the pitch, which is okay I guess, for a start.

Thanks.

As to the March 1st deadline, before that date, MLS teams can be over the salary cap or have more than 28 players under contract. As of the 1st, teams have to be under the salary cap, have 18 senior roster players and 10 developmental roster players (max) and have the appropriate number of foreign players. It's pretty much irrelevant to TFC this season, since they are starting from scratch and didn't do anything really stupid, but it's important for established teams, since most teams have to cut a few players to make room for their draft picks.

As for CanCon on the squad, the club is just about topped out on its foreign quotient. Assuming there aren't any players cut (not including players on trial), the team can only add one more non-Canadian. From here on in, almost everyone the team signs will be Canadian. In fact, I see TFC trying to avoid bringing in another foreign outfield player, since the backup keeper situation is looking quite difficult.

The big question is, where do you find these Canadian defenders who can be had on the cheap right now? The legitimate Lynx options are all ruled out for one reason or another, Harmse seems to be on trial with LA (I really think TFC should have made a play for him), the U20s probably aren't ready for first team action quite yet.. an out of contract Richard Hastings fits the bill, and its possible if Scottish reports are to be believed. I think its a very real possibility that the club goes into the season having to use players who aren't good enough as defenders. Braz, Pozniak, Reda are all good options, and from all accounts, Boyens is a solid defender as well. Beyond that, Brennan can drop back as well.. and then.. we're looking at untested kids. That may work out, and wind up developing TFC and Canada a quality centre back, but its not the most stable way to go into a season.

23 year-old forward Andy Welsh from Sunderland is on trial, last played with Leicester of the Championship League on loan from Sunderland, 6 games played this year, no goals.

Canadian U-20 Stephen Lumley also on trial.

With Buddle, Esky, Casey, Ibrahim, Lombardo, West and Gonsalves in camp I have to wonder why Mo is looking at another no-name Brit striker who would count as a SI.

Meanwhile, the back is razor thin (and empty come Gold Cup) and we have no back up keeper.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Welsh is actually a left-sided midfielder, not a striker as the Sun states.

OK, it makes marginally more sense now. Nevertheless, is Welsh the type of player that TFC wants filling a valuable SI slot? IMO, no.

quote:Originally posted by curtwpg

OK, it makes marginally more sense now. Nevertheless, is Welsh the type of player that TFC wants filling a valuable SI slot? IMO, no.

At 23, he's YI eligible.

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

[The big question is, where do you find these Canadian defenders who can be had on the cheap right now? The legitimate Lynx options are all ruled out for one reason or another, Harmse seems to be on trial with LA (I really think TFC should have made a play for him), the U20s probably aren't ready for first team action quite yet.. an out of contract Richard Hastings fits the bill, and its possible if Scottish reports are to be believed. I think its a very real possibility that the club goes into the season having to use players who aren't good enough as defenders. Braz, Pozniak, Reda are all good options, and from all accounts, Boyens is a solid defender as well. Beyond that, Brennan can drop back as well.. and then.. we're looking at untested kids. That may work out, and wind up developing TFC and Canada a quality centre back, but its not the most stable way to go into a season.

I think this bodes well for Richard Asante starting at the back....he played right back for our U20's at the WYC back in 2003.

Since he is YI, this is not so worrisome. The current YI's including Welsh are:

1) Nagamura

2) Ibrahim

3) Edu

4) Boyens

5) West

6) Welsh

Therefore, 1 must go. Assuming Welsh is any good, is a midfielder (LW) and can be signed for reasonable money (presumably for a bench player), it looks like West (a forward) may be the odd man out.

Archived