Toronto FC -Roster Dance

MM2

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm not mistaken, TFC gets the extra American international and Youth International spots just for this year. Is that correct? If so, we'd should expect a lot higher profile Canadians to be on the team next year if they hope to be competitive.

They get two extra YIs for two years, 2009 they will have to cut back to 3 (though I suspect that MLS may increase the rosters to 30 and allow all teams to carry 5 YIs). As far as I know the 3 Americans are permanent.

quote:Originally posted by masster

If I'm not mistaken, TFC gets the extra American international and Youth International spots just for this year. Is that correct? If so, we'd should expect a lot higher profile Canadians to be on the team next year if they hope to be competitive.

Bush is a good signing for TFC. Honestly I didn't see any canadian keeper with enough experience to be Sutton back (the ones I can think of would've all refuse I think). So they bring Bush who'll be a good cover for the GC period and who could also push Sutton if he doesn't perform well.

Now I hope to see a young canadian keeper signed for the third spot. Let's not forget that this keeper could as well see some playing time, especially during the GC if something happens to Bush.

I agree with Loyola that this is a good signing. Sutton is still untested at the MLS level and they needed to bring someone in of comparable skill and experience. As much as I hope Sutton starts this is still professional soccer and he should not be handed the job just because he is Canadian. TFC cannot afford to have an inexperienced keeper as number 2. As important as it is to develop Canadian talent it is also important that TFC wins games. The only Canadian alternative that might have been available is Stama and I think he is inferior to Busch in skill level. Busch is also preferrable to Conway. Hopefully if the 3rd keeper and youth/reserve team keepers are Canadian the keeper spot can be 100% in the not too distant future. Sutton is going to have strong competition from Busch for the number 1 spot but that is how it should be in professional soccer.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I just noticed last night that John Bush was let go. When did that happen? Did not see it or notice it on any of the local soccer forums. Anyways, we need a decent backup to Sutton quickly because heaven forbid if something happens to Sutton we will be in trouble. Anyone have any suggestions with regard to naming a comprable backup. The one name that comes to mind is Theo Zagar but after seeing him play last year for the Lynxs I think he is not the one. Maybe as crazy as this may sound F.C. is thinking of bringing the goal keeper coach Carmine Isacco out of retirement to act as a dual keeper coach and backup. Remember he did play for F.C. assistant coach Bob Gansler as the starting keeper back in the A League when Milwaukee won the A League championship.

quote:Originally posted by SoccMan

Wow, I just noticed last night that John Bush was let go. When did that happen? Did not see it or notice it on any of the local soccer forums. Anyways, we need a decent backup to Sutton quickly because heaven forbid if something happens to Sutton we will be in trouble. Anyone have any suggestions with regard to naming a comprable backup. The one name that comes to mind is Theo Zagar but after seeing him play last year for the Lynxs I think he is not the one. Maybe as crazy as this may sound F.C. is thinking of bringing the goal keeper coach Carmine Isacco out of retirement to act as a dual keeper coach and backup. Remember he did play for F.C. assistant coach Bob Gansler as the starting keeper back in the A League when Milwaukee won the A League championship.

He was let go a few days ago. He was picked up on waivers, and has once again been waved. He may have talent, but spending $90K/year and an SI slot on a back-up keeper with a history of injury problems is not a good idea. I guess the experiment didn't work out.

Forget about fat old guys like Zagar. TFC is looking at young Canadians like Tomer C (I won't even try to remember how to spell that last name).

The most extensive TFC info is on the U-Sector website. I lurk there all the time. Red Patch Brigade has plenty of info as well. It is members of these two groups who post alot of the info on this forum.

Some minor roster changes:

Dane Klate from South Africa on trial and released

Hunter West draft pick from U of Florida released

Andrade from Portugal on trial, was at practice this morning wearing #26.

Some minor roster changes:

Dane Klate from South Africa on trial and released

Hunter West draft pick from U of Florida released

Andrade from Portugal on trial, was at practice this morning wearing #26.

now that there are 2 spots remaining to be filled on the Developmental Roster, the question is who will be signed.

MM2, I understand you were in Charleston...how did Canizalez look. is he too old for the developmental squad or is there no age limit? Is he quality enough to be on the Senior roster. Is Gabe Gala still training with the team? from what I saw of him in the 1st U20 friendly against Scotland, he looked like a good talent.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

now that there are 2 spots remaining to be filled on the Developmental Roster, the question is who will be signed.

MM2, I understand you were in Charleston...how did Canizalez look. is he too old for the developmental squad or is there no age limit? Is he quality enough to be on the Senior roster. Is Gabe Gala still training with the team? from what I saw of him in the 1st U20 friendly against Scotland, he looked like a good talent.

I wasn't overly impressed by Canizalez either in the games or the practices, he is too old for the Developmental roster (players must be 24 or under, goalies 25 or under)and will have to earn a senior roster spot, it may depend on the Salary Cap, though I think TFC is still in good shape there. Gabe Gala was away with the U-20s while I was in Charleston, so didn't get to see him.

quote:Originally posted by MM2

I wasn't overly impressed by Canizalez either in the games or the practices, he is too old for the Developmental roster (players must be 24 or under, goalies 25 or under)and will have to earn a senior roster spot,

Actually I thought MC2 was 24, not turning 25 until Dec. 28th of this year.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Actually I thought MC2 was 24, not turning 25 until Dec. 28th of this year.

That's correct. But because he turns 25 during the calendar year he is no longer eligible for the development roster. Players born in 1983 are the cutoff this year (Nagamura, Boyens) and will become Senior roster bound next season (2008). Mo will have some big decisions next year...

Joey Melo added to the Developemental roster. TFC have the youngest developmental roster in the league. Most clubs developmental rosters consist of college graduates, with a few younger Generation Adidas players thrown in.

did TFC formally announce Melo being signed?

I wonder who will fill the last Canadian senior roster spot and who will get the last developmental spot. I thought the offered Smith a developmental deal but I have not even heard anything about him training with the team in preseason (except for a short spell in Florida).

Melo is on the roster. Jamaal Smith was also in Charleston training with TFC, Gansler spent sometime with him working on foot speed and skills.

I wonder who will fill the last Canadian senior roster spot and who will get the last developmental spot. I thought the offered Smith a developmental deal but I have not even heard anything about him training with the team in preseason (except for a short spell in Florida).

Not yet, but he is listed on the roster on their website.

quote:

I wonder who will fill the last Canadian senior roster spot and who will get the last developmental spot.

I suspect (& hope) Canizalez for the former - not sure about the latter. TFC needs more depth at the back however, so that may play against MC2 being signed if Mo is hoping to use the last Cdn. senior spot to plug those gaps (though he appears to be going after international players to do so, which would necessitate a trade/release of some kind since interational senior spots are all filled).

The glaring hole at the moment is that there is no backup keeper for Sutton unless they are going to go with one of the Canadians on the developmental roster. It would be surprising if they didn't get someone with some MLS or similar level experience. Would be a great experience for Monsalve before the U-20 WC if he was the backup. Is JP Piques still with the team?

Archived