Your lowest point as a supporter of Canada

Daniel

What point was the lowest of the low for you as a supporter of Canada over the years?

I've been following since GCQ 1999 and without a doubt it was the last minutes of the Edmonton game v Honduras after their goal. While the Guatemala game was depressing, it was only the first game and it never really took off. With 9' to go in Edmonton, Captain Canada put our train back on track with a goal which would have given us a workable 3 points from 2 home games. After Honduras tied it up, I didn't even watch the game, lying on the bed behind the couch listening to the commentators. While it wasn't technically over, we were done and it sucked hard. Doesn't help that the next two games were on fricking tape-delay either. I had been really optimistic for this round, lord knows why.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have followed CMNT since 1984 when I was 13 years old and followed them since the demise of the NASL, The Birth and Death of the CSL, The high of qualifying of 1986 in the first and only world cup ion 1986, the dissapointment and heartbreak of not qualifying for the 1994 World Cup by losing in a penalty shootout to the Aussies in the 2nd leg World Cup Qualifying in 1993.

But Canadian Soccer went downhill after failing miserably for the 1998 world cup and with no domestic league, Canada is starting to fail miserably and hense we couldn't get out of the 1st round of hex qualifying for 2002 and 2006 world cup and unfortunately 2010. This program is a real mess right now.

The elimination from the World Cup after just two games, on away goals to Guatemala in 1988, the 4-0 loss to T&T eliminating us from the 2002 World Cup and the 2-0 home loss to Guatemala to start the semi-final round in the last World Cup qualifying round. There have been more frustrating matches, but those points were the lowest.

Most definitely not a 1-0 win over Luxembourg.

For me the low point was losing 2-0 to TnT at Commonwealth in 2000. This was right after the gold cup win, and we were on a double-digit unbeaten string at the time, and we had outplayed TnT badly until good ol' Onstad let that long shot in. I really had high hopes that year.

Runner-up would be staying up till 3 AM to watch us get eliminated by Australia on PKs in 1993. IMHO Oz's tying goal should have been called back on a foul.

too many to account for. lets see, Canada not qualifying for every WC (except '86). 1986 was definitely the most proudest moment, witnessing Canada (although struggling to crack a goal) play in the WC. watching them lose to states in St.Louis for '88 Olympics and every other qualifying failure then on. watching Canada get robbed in the '84 Olympics against Brzail, should have been in the semi's dammit!! There is only one GERRY GRAY!!!. Winning the GC against Colombia was great but beating Mexico in San Diego was a very sweet moment.

From the pro level, the demise of the NASL, CSL and having to endure season after season of the Hartrells. high points, witnessing on-hand a valiant effort made by the Blizzard in the '84 Soccer Bowl against the Sting with over 18K @ varsity going in a frenzy until the rug was pulled out from underneath them.

This could quite possably be one of the most depressing threads ever.

So many horrible memmories...

The playoff loss to Oz. That made me physicaly ill. I **** you not. Or that 4-nil ****efest in T & T. That was really, really, bad as it looked like we got no less than we deserved on that one, it was that bad.

It's a draw between that T&T game in Edmonton (my first LIVE game)... we were on a roll, outplayed them badly and lost... and the game where we got robbed (the first time) against Honduras in Edmonton this last time around. The only difference is that the first time I went to the game with a Trini friend and watched agape as we had the "salute to the Caribbean" half-time show.... and the last time I went to the game with a bunch of cucumber tossing maniacs!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The elimination from the World Cup after just two games, on away goals to Guatemala in 1988

Yeah, with Randy Samuel playing out of position at left back.:( What a disaster at Swangard! Out at the first hurdle after our appearence in Mexico 86.

Was it a loss or a tie to Cuba in Havanna? Can't remember but we played horribly! Do you remember the giant concrete abomination of a stadium they played in. Yech. My wife's cousin was visiting from Belgium and he was quite unimpressed about the state of Canadian soccer. Fecking yammered about how crap we are the whole time he was here. Fecking Belgians. He's sent me some nice jerseys, mind you, so he is welcome in my country. Maybe not my house (he smokes).

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

It's a draw between that T&T game in Edmonton (my first LIVE game)... we were on a roll, outplayed them badly and lost... and the game where we got robbed (the first time) against Honduras in Edmonton this last time around. The only difference is that the first time I went to the game with a Trini friend and watched agape as we had the "salute to the Caribbean" half-time show.... and the last time I went to the game with a bunch of cucumber tossing maniacs!

I was having trouble deciding between three . . . the Guatemala debacle in 1988 (I was young, naive and thought this qualifying lark was easy, we'd just been cheered off the pitch in Peru after beating them 3-1. Mexico was knocked out already, how could we not qualify?). Winning, but losing was also a new concept. I felt this weird ill sensation in my gut for the first time. I'm sure you all know it now.

Then there was 2000 in Edmonton. I just left, got in my car and drove eight hours home. I was going to stay in Edmonton, but I really just felt like going as far away as possible realizing our WC hopes were pretty much hooped after the high water mark that was the Gold Cup win. Especially in a game where we were the better team. I'm still bitter we didn't get a penalty for that hand ball. Free kick into the wall, Yorke on the counter, 2-0 . . . goodbye.

I guess I was jaded enough to endure the Honduras loss at Commonwealth this past time around. As soon as that penalty happened, it was like I instinctively knew Occean's goal wasn't going to count. You just knew no matter what, we weren't going to win. We weren't going to qualify, we'll never get to qualify. This whole thing is futile. That's how I felt. That probably is the low point I guess. Mind you being plied with free Guiness from a legend and a couple of this board's bete noires, well that helped a little.

cheers,

matthew

A draw between:

1998 failure to qualify especially after a decent start in first round.

2000 loss to T&T in Edmonton and the eventual failure to qualify

2004 1-1 draw against Honduras in Edmonton and the eventual failure to qualify

I can have three low points.

First one the use of a phys ed teacher in the person of Barrie Clarke to be the National coach in the 80s.

Second the failure of Tony Waiters to give George Pakos any playing time in the 86 W.C. except for the last 5 minutes in the last game. A disgrace.

Thirdly is an on-going low point that I can't see going away in my lifetime and that is the crap that fills the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Ed I think your low point is misplaced. It shouldn't be England showing interest in Hargreaves but rather Hargreaves showing interest in and chosing England.

I agree. That was the lowest point for me too. Hope I don't feel like this again with this Jonathan De Guzman chap, but preparing myself mentally for it anyway:(

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

For me this is easy because it was damned embarrassing:

Pesky-stupido.

Cornerflag.

Need I say more.

BTW, lame defences like the guy made a meal or embellished it need not be posted in retort.

I'm always surprised that this event gets people so mad. I remember a thread on the old board and some guy came across as a lunatic charging that Pesch's flag flick was the root of all evil.

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion but I put the whole thing down to a one-off error. No different than a guy with normally good hands fumbling the ball in an important game or a good goalie letting in a soft goal. Despicable team performances and wingnut team selections take the wind out of my sails to greater degree.

Archived