Your lowest point as a supporter of Canada

Daniel

I am with you Sean. Let's start a call Bircham thread and see if we can make it longer than the Thunder thread. We may still suck with Bircham playing but at least we will have someone to drink and laugh with after the match and he is always good for a few classic photos.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is more a most memorable point than a low or high point. In fact, it is a combination of the two. Low because it f-u-cked us up but high because it was so cool and original at the same time. I haven't seen anything similar in all the years of watching soccer afterwards. The Pesch flag incident stays with me as the most memorable moment of Canadian MNT history. I don't even remember who it was we were playing and the other player dived but still it was cool. The only Canadian soccer clip that I remember being played over and over for weeks and that was the days before cable sports channels. If you are going to get sent off get sent off in style. Is there a torrent of this available?

I'm sure I remember a highlight package on an English international football show that had a clip of Diesel shooting JDV the bird. After my surprise that we'd even gotten noticed I felt, strangely proud to be Canadian at that momment.

P.S. Come to think of it now, I'm sure it was a CONCACAF bit for Japan/Korea and they were talking about Canada's futility since '86 in advancing. My memmory is a shambles.

It's always the most recent. This last WCQ I thought we had a team I mean a real team not a bunch of players. Then this guy can't make it, that guy's injured, some other guy doesn't like the flight arrangements etc.

The bad calls against us, the Diesel temper tantrum. But there's one play this year that capsulizes this years WCQ. I wish I could remember names like some of you, but when one of our younger players made an easy back pass to the keeper (against Costa Rica?) and not only was the back pass really soft and then for some still to me unknown reason there was not a Canadian defender insight and the other guys intercepted the ball and scored. Well that to me just showed how disjointed this bunch of individuals were they were not a team. I had such high expectations for this WCQ team and they showed that they were only a bunch of guys wearing the same kit.

But, hey, there's always next year. :D

quote:Originally posted by argh1

when one of our younger players made an easy back pass to the keeper (against Costa Rica?) and not only was the back pass really soft and then for some still to me unknown reason there was not a Canadian defender insight and the other guys intercepted the ball and scored.

The 'younger player' you're referring to is Ante Jazic (who is 30 this year) in the match versus Honduras in Edmonton.

The player (David Suazo) intercepted the pass, but IIRC, he did not score on the play. He was 'taken down' in the penalty area and scored on the ensuing PK.

Then Canada proceeded to march down the field and score about 2 minutes later, only to have one of the worst calls in the history of soccer called against us, and the goal was disallowed.

Archived