Your lowest point as a supporter of Canada

Daniel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you just ran the table in the SF of qualifying, killed ES at home, but you're Canada and have trouble scoring. We have to go to Mexico and the US to start the hex, lose both and then have must wins at home to ES and Jamaica. Our best goal-scorer then puts us down 10-men in a 0-0 by getting frustrated and we then don't have him in the next game where we do another 0-0 and our hopes in 1998 are done. It was very, very frustrating. But not surprising since he had just kicked Jorge Campos at Azteca and didn't get sent off.

I'm happy Pesch settled down with maturity while keeping his fire (as did Stalteri, who had some of that same passion/volatility), but the Stalteri situation was a little different. For one he was already out of the next match with his injury anyway. Not getting three against Honduras and then losing in CR put us on serious life support. He wasn't going to play in either match regardless. It was a stupid thing to do, but really I don't think it changed qualifying the way having Pesch send off did. Mind you we might not have scored with him on the field. but it certainly didn't help our chances.

Or maybe I'm just justifying the way Stalteri felt in the stadium because I wasn't able to restrain myself either.

cheers,

matthew

I'm with Christian.I'm not sure which home WCQ loss was the lowest for me.All 3 left me with a deep sense of emptiness that took days to overcome.All WCQ are huge for obvious reasons but the ones at home against oppostion that you need to beat to have any chance of advancing

carry an even bigger importance.They were all devastating.

Lowest point as a Canadian fan for me is all the blown calls by crappy referees over the years. Even that corner flag incident at Swangard started off with some bad uncalled fouls against Pesh. (Not that that excuses his behaviour).

My lowest of low games was watching the 2-0 defeat to T&T in edmonton in 2000. We were on a big undefeated streak, 15 games I think. We played really well but couldn't put the ball in the net. That was the start of the end of our qualifying for 2002, and we have not been the same since IMO.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I've been following Canada since 1992 and low points and Canada seem to go hand in hand. If I had to pick one, I would have to say that the WCQ loss against Mexico in 1993 ranks as one of the lowest points for me as a supporter. We were so close to the World Cup. :(

Yea the game we lost at Azteca staduim in the USA 94 WCQ was the wose! but there also the loss to Autralia that same year too.....we were so close to USA 94:(

For me, it was the first game of the last WCQ, against Guatemala. Not just for having lost at home, but because we fielded a B-team, or at least a team that despite the deeper talent pool we were all excited about, was weaker than many of our past teams. It was just such a let down to not have gone out there with our strongest team, and that never happened all qualifying. brennan, bircham, tam, devos, radz, hutch, aguiar, mckenna, hume, klukowski, hirschfeld. All these guys werent there, for varying reasons, it just makes me so bitter. This was the worst moment, because with the 4rth playoff spot, the world cup was more likely than ever, and it all fell apart even before we hit the pitch.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

For me, it was the first game of the last WCQ, against Guatemala. Not just for having lost at home, but because we fielded a B-team, or at least a team that despite the deeper talent pool we were all excited about, was weaker than many of our past teams. It was just such a let down to not have gone out there with our strongest team, and that never happened all qualifying. brennan, bircham, tam, devos, radz, hutch, aguiar, mckenna, hume, klukowski, hirschfeld. All these guys werent there, for varying reasons, it just makes me so bitter. This was the worst moment, because with the 4rth playoff spot, the world cup was more likely than ever, and it all fell apart even before we hit the pitch.

Now you got me wound up again. My $50 is back in the pot. I sooo wanted to see us in Germany this summer.

Why do I keep reading this topic? I can actualy feel my blood pressure increase up there on the side of my forehead. What am I doing!?

It's stupid. It's like touching a wire that's still hot and then touching it again on purpose just because you can't believe those 15 ampere made your arm go that numb, that quick.

Cheeta.

ZAP.. Bugger!!! Is that black wire still hot? ZAP*zzZZZIT. Bloody Hell that hurts!! Geezus, did I turn off the wrong breaker? Hmmm. Lets see, if this other black is still live too then I must have...

crackBBBRNNNTzzz. sizzle..sizzle..sizzle

Wee Elf.

Cheeta? Did all of the lights go out up there too? Cheeta? Cheeta?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Damn, I just changed my mind about my lowest point. Now we all get to spend the early summer watching TnT play in the World Cup.

my lowest point as a supporter of Canada came during the Olympics in 1984 when we went out to Brazil on penalties in the Quarter Finals and I became overnight a hardened supporter. Why the lowest you say as it began this now over 20 year obsession of actually thinking that but for a few bad breaks (eg. James's goal not being ruled offside against Brazil in 1984; Limniatis's no penalty against Guatemala in 1990 WCQ, Pesch's offside goal against Mexico in 1994 WCQ) we would eventually succeed. It seems we are farther behind then ever...but I still kid myself that we are almost there but for one or two more players. So my lowest point has to be the point I became a supporter and began this sick masochistic journey of self-harm.

On August 18/04 when Canada played Guatemala I was in Los Angeles. I was pretty optimist but also a bit worry because Pat Onstad was Frank Yallop's choice for the #1 goalie and I was strongly against that decision.

With no computer access I had to wait the next day to get the result. I went the next morning in a convenience store, I opened the sports section of the LA Times, my heart was running pretty fast, boum, boum, boum. When I saw Guatemala 2 Canada 0, I was completely stunned. I fixed the paper for about 2 minutes. What a disappointment. I knew at the time that it was the end of it.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

my lowest point as a supporter of Canada came during the Olympics in 1984 when we went out to Brazil on penalties in the Quarter Finals and I became overnight a hardened supporter. Why the lowest you say as it began this now over 20 year obsession of actually thinking that but for a few bad breaks (eg. James's goal not being ruled offside against Brazil in 1984;

Gerry Gray no?

db

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It was actually Hooper that scored, it was Pesch (who had passed it to him) that they claimed was off-side.

Yes and technically he was off-side but he was also 40 yards away from the ball on the sideline. It would have been fully within the rules to not call that play but back in those days that's the way they like to call the game. It still doesn't make it right or just though.

db

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

My lowest point as a canadian soccer supporter...

Seeing that there is a 6 page thread about the status of Thunderdan

And this from one of the many ga-ga contributors to dozens of multi-page threads on a stadium they have not even started and a team that does not exist in Toronto? I know Sean, when it is your hyperbole it sounds a lot sweeter.

Hey, as a favour, could you post one of those many pics you treasure of you hugging a national team player, I just love those.

Archived