Confirmed players for USA match...

Winnipeg Fury

A bit early, but apparently Chris Pozniak is now confirmed for the USA match:

08.12: Chris Pozniak møter USA

Chris Pozniak er igjen tatt ut i den canadiske landslagstroppen som møter USA 22. januar.

Det canadiske landslaget drar først på treningsleir til Los Angeles den 8. januar. Amerikaoppholdet avsluttes med landskamp mot USA i San Diego den 22. januar.

Landslagsoppdraget innebærer at Chris ikke vil være tilbake i Haugesund før i slutten av januar, men vi satser på å ha ham med til treningshelgen på sørlandet 25. - 29. januar. Den helgen møter vi Starts sølvmedaljevinnere i Sørlandshallen på torsdagen kl 1600 og Flekkerøy på lørdagen. Sistnevnte kamp spilles i utgangspunktet utendørs på kunstgresset til Flekkerøy kl 1400, men dersom værforholdene ikke tillater dette så vil kampen bli spilt i Sørlandshallen noe senere på dagen.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Yay, mediocrity, here we come again!

I have a very bad feeling about this roster. I can see us calling something as depressing as the Lux friendly (how about Tyler Rosenlund? :S). Does any country field a B (or less) team more often than we do?

My exact thougts. I know it's hard getting our A team together, due to the travel distance, etc. But it seems every game we play is a B team getting called, even in competitions such as the Gold Cup.

Yes! A mediocre "B" team. What's the point?

I wonder if Frank Yallop is truly having problems calling up an "A" team. For January 22 this is actually a very reasonable problem since January 22 is not a FIFA international date, and few if any teams will want to give up players during league time; however, calling up guys like Pizzolitto and Leduc, guys who do not do well at the international level and really have no future on the team, is a strange practice indeed.

I wonder if there is any point anymore in having weak "B" team outings against strong squads like the USA. I suggest that a camp in Europe involving as many guys from teams there might be better so as to avoid the ridiculous travel to the west coast of the US. Would the same player availability problems exist? Who knows?

I am trying hard to stay excited about the national team, but this is killing me.

The whole thing is that they can't get a camp in Europe at that date. The reasoning is probably "we can't get anything decent so we might as well get a decent game on our hands against the States with *some* guys who might figure in the future. Here's hoping we actually see some important players from Scandinavia (Hutch, OO, Ali, Friend, Grande, Reda, etc.). Isn't this the exact situation we had for the Miami friendly?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

If we are going to get our ass kicked I would rather have it done to a team of younger players with future potential who would benefit from international experience than with guys like Leduc, Gervais and Pizzolitto. I will be happy to see Serioux back though.

Agreed. Good to see Serioux getting some action. Any of the Toronto insiders know of any remote possiblity of Jason Bent getting in some action? Has he packed it in?

Im getting the feeling that our "B" squad ia our "A" squad. these are the guys whoi are willing to travel for CNMT games. Maybe what yallop is doing is the best thing... just focusing on the guys who show up or who are willing to show (cause Im guessing that Franky calls them all).

Any word on Imhoff, Brennan or McKenna?

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Just like Osieck? I'm sure the list would have about the same numbers.

Exactly. I am not saying player relations was one of Ossieck's strengths but Yallop was brought in expressly to remedy this and in two years has managed to alienate as many players as Ossieck did in six. Another difference is in the reasons each coach alienated the players. Many found Ossieck to be an inflexible dictator but I never heard any of the players criticize his competency as a coach. It seems that many of the players alienated by Yallop seem to not have much confidence in his abilities as coach and his willingness to make selections based on merit.

I also must stress that although I think Ossieck was a superior coach to Yallop I don't think anyone here is advocating he be brought back. In fact, I actually supported his firing (for player relationship reasons) and the hiring of Yallop. This was a mistake in retrospect at least the hiring of Yallop part of the equation. If you make a mistake you have to remedy it. The issue is not Ossieck versus Yallop but rather Yallop versus a new coach.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Exactly. I am not saying player relations was one of Ossieck's strengths but Yallop was brought in expressly to remedy this and in two years has managed to alienate as many players as Ossieck did in six. Another difference is in the reasons each coach alienated the players. Many found Ossieck to be an inflexible dictator but I never heard any of the players criticize his competency as a coach. It seems that many of the players alienated by Yallop seem to not have much confidence in his abilities as coach and his willingness to make selections based on merit.

I also must stress that although I think Ossieck was a superior coach to Yallop I don't think anyone here is advocating he be brought back. In fact, I actually supported his firing (for player relationship reasons) and the hiring of Yallop. This was a mistake in retrospect at least the hiring of Yallop part of the equation. If you make a mistake you have to remedy it. The issue is not Ossieck versus Yallop but rather Yallop versus a new coach.

I also thought the timing for Holger going was right and favoured Frank as the replacement, as we only had, as far as we knew, a frew months before World Cup qualifying would begin. So we needed someone aware of the players and with good results with his club, on a roll so to speak.

He basically squandered the 9 months he had to prepare, walked too softly, was too docile before the CSA dons, maybe a bit of all this, and failed to prepare a team properly for the first qualifiers.

So I too agree that it was a mistake to hire him, he has failed terribly, but feel he should stay on as I would prefer him to burn himself out or redeem himself, and if he does the latter, replace him in a year or 18 months.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

So I too agree that it was a mistake to hire him, he has failed terribly, but feel he should stay on as I would prefer him to burn himself out or redeem himself, and if he does the latter, replace him in a year or 18 months.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're advocating keeping Yallop on as coach, and should he redeem himself, only then getting rid of him? [?]

I'm sure that if this was a FIFA date and WCQ was on the line

our "A" team would include the Stalteri's and the De Guzman's

and not strictly our Scandinavian and USL1 players.

As for the differences between Yallop & Osieck, both have qualities

and coaching styles that one would like and dislike, and both would

get their share of prima-donna types, whiners, complainers,etc.

whether rightly or not.

It's not a perfect world, and as much as I would like to see

Thunder Dan, Diesel, de Vos, JdG1 & 2, Nsaliwa, and the rest

of our faves, I would really feel bad if they lose their spots

with their club teams. Remember the BS that a few players

(Fenwick, Pesch, etc.) had to endure after the Gold Cup in 2000?

Or when De Vos practically burned himself out after playing all those

friendlies under Osieck? Or having Onstad fly over 18 hours to

Estonia and getting the blame despite his obvious jet lag?

Believe me, I would LOVE nothing more than to beat the United States

and Landon Donovan with our A-team, but if we can't, I wouldn't

lose sleep over the fact it's our B-team again.[}:)]

Before Yallop, our national team was sleeping most of the time, especially during the winter

And our NA and Scandinavia based player didn't play at all during the cold period

Now, they can do it. I never imagined that games in january and february were for the "national team", it's more training camps for players out of season, to keep them in shape and to make team building. Else, there wouldn't be a game at all...

So, what's happening is very smart

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Before Yallop, our national team was sleeping most of the time, especially during the winter

Not necessarily. The last match we had versus the US occurred in the same period, January. Until recently, most of the Gold cup's ( Include the one that was won by Canada in 2000) were played in mid winter.

You could make a case that its during the summer months that the MNT's sleeps. There was little to nothing played in the spring and summoer months during the semi final round of WCQ for Canada. That is the unfortunate part IMO.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

If I'm reading this correctly, you're advocating keeping Yallop on as coach, and should he redeem himself, only then getting rid of him? [?]

Agreed, rather twisted logic that. I guess I meant that if he cannot clearly redeem himself he should be ousted. That means some real results in competition before the next WC qualifiers, like the next Gold Cup: if cannot start winning close to half our games I think we should look for an alternative for the qualifiers.

Archived