Toronto MLS Team Name Suggestion Thread

Gian-Luca

As you may know, my suggestion for the Toronto Black Squirrels has been met with considerable enthusiasm thus far amongst North American soccer fans. I think its running at #2 most popular name suggestion after the Blizzard. So I thought I'd try my luck with some more suggestions. Let me know which ones you like and which ones you don't. There are likely to be more of the latter than the former. In fact, there might not be any of the former.

Toronto Smog

Toronto Gridlock (these two were suggested along with Black Squirrels at Lynx games this past summer - as fans we had little else to do while the games were on than dream about MLS coming to town)

Toronto Pterodactyls (in keeping with the MLSE Raptor theme of course)

Toronto Typhoid

Toronto Homicidal Hippos

Toronto Roadkill

Toronto Toads

Toronto Milkmen

Toronto Magma

Toronto Mudmen

Toronto Trolls

Toronto Homeless

Toronto Squeegee Boys

Toronto Trotskyists

Toronto Twilight (in case we stock up on a lot of Euro has-beens)

Toronto Kung-Fu Fighters

Toronto Village Green Preservation Society

Toronto Aqualungs

Toronto Roundabouts

Toronto Tales from Topographic Oceans

Toronto ProgRockers

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's one I heard being suggested because of our multiculturalism...

International (or Inter for short) Toronto

but I absolutely hate ripping off European things...

come on... Real Salt Lake... and why is DC United?

I mean other names might sometimes sound silly, but at least they are somewhat original

Black Squirrels and Exhibitionists sound best to me, so far.

Unlike most, I am not in love with the Blizzard name, especially considering that we aren't even located in a snow belt. There must be more appropriate names to represent our city.

And please, no generic names, such as United, City, Soccer Depot, etc... ;)

Go Black Squirrels!

Toronto Solipsists

Toronto Nihilists - they'd wear all black...

Toronto Alumni -this just seems retarded, but I like it.

Toronto Quarantine

Toronto Sentinals

Toronto Grenadiers - to honour the dead Grenadiers in Grenadier Pond, and Grenadier Pond isn't very far.

Toronto Sophists

Toronto Funk

Toronto Aparatchiks

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I'm a sucker for historical names of footballing glory, so I would be in favour of Toronto City, Falcons, Metros (well, can't do that one), and Blizzard (not necessarily in that order either).

But for some twisted reason, I really like the Black Squirrels name. It's beyond unique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omiya_Ardija anyone?

I was at a Raptors advertising function last night, before the game, and bumped into one of the top dogs of MLSE. I congratulated him on the stadium deal. He looked a bit surprised when I did, as basketball was the topic of the night. Anyway, I told him I would be buying season tickets, and he said that they would be going on sale in the New Year, and the they will be cheap. Tickets will probably range from $9 to $45. The average price would be around $22. I asked if MLS is a done deal, and he said it is, and that a press conference will be called shortly. I than asked him about a name for the team, to which he said they haven’t decided yet. He did mention that there was a petition out there to bring back the Blizzard name. He asked me what I thought of the name. I told him I liked it because I remember the Blizzards, however I’m not sure if kids would like it. He agreed. I got the impression he didn’t like it. He also mentioned that they are going after the kids/youth market. I’d be surprised if they go with the Blizzard. The impression I got was they want something new and fresh that will appeal to younger people. And lastly I asked him if they have anybody in mind to run the team. He said that they are starting the process. He said it will be someone who is well known in the soccer circles, and he doesn’t have to be Canadian. Lastly I would like to ad that he was very nice to me, and seemed to enjoy talking about soccer.

The MLS as of late does seem to have some team naming standards. But there are some team names that are absolutely horrible.

Good Team Names

FC Dallas

Real Salt Lake

Chivas USA

DC United

Chicago Fire

History Laden

San Jose Earthquakes

New England Revolution

Questionable

Columbus Crew

LA Galaxy

Metrostars

Colorado Rapids

Just Plain Horrible

Kansas City Wizards

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

I was at a Raptors advertising function last night, before the game, and bumped into one of the top dogs of MLSE. I congratulated him on the stadium deal. He looked a bit surprised when I did, as basketball was the topic of the night. Anyway, I told him I would be buying season tickets, and he said that they would be going on sale in the New Year, and the they will be cheap. Tickets will probably range from $9 to $45. The average price would be around $22. I asked if MLS is a done deal, and he said it is, and that a press conference will be called shortly. I than asked him about a name for the team, to which he said they haven’t decided yet. He did mention that there was a petition out there to bring back the Blizzard name. He asked me what I thought of the name. I told him I liked it because I remember the Blizzards, however I’m not sure if kids would like it. He agreed. I got the impression he didn’t like it. He also mentioned that they are going after the kids/youth market. I’d be surprised if they go with the Blizzard. The impression I got was they want something new and fresh that will appeal to younger people. And lastly I asked him if they have anybody in mind to run the team. He said that they are starting the process. He said it will be someone who is well known in the soccer circles, and he doesn’t have to be Canadian. Lastly I would like to ad that he was very nice to me, and seemed to enjoy talking about soccer.

I'd **** myself if they have a couple of home dates at noon mid-week to draw in the school crowd. I'm betting cheerleaders, a mascot called "Ball-y" and I'm betting canned chants, "GO! HIPCATS GO!" face painting, clowns and ballon artists and tons of Hillery Duff before and after the game.

I just hope to make it more family oriented they ban booze and all partisan supporter sections. Kids are the future....

And I'd split my gut open if they bring back Dale Barnes to run the show and Holger coach. And hopefully they have that cute City TV sports broad doing the play by play.

And here is the name, the people who brought us the comic book raptors, will give to the soccer team

Toronto HipCats!

Putting the GRRRRRR back in soccerrrrrrrrr. Can't wait to season the season ticket sales...

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

....And here is the name, the people who brought us the comic book raptors, will give to the soccer team

Toronto HipCats!

Putting the GRRRRRR back in soccerrrrrrrrr. Can't wait to season the season ticket sales...

For your information, it was the ownership group of the many headed hydra of Bitove, Slaight et al that had the marketeers decide on the Raptors, not MLSE. MLSE purchased said Raptors from Slaight.

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

Thanks for the report! Very interesting.

Archived