Toronto MLS Team Name Suggestion Thread

Gian-Luca

Well i'm not from Toronto so I don't have to live with it but my choices would be:

1) Toronto Internazionale (or if you want bastardize it and call it International)

2) Toronto Black Squirrels

3) Upper Canada Loyalists

4) Toronto Grasshoppers

Oh and DC United is somewhat clever as it can be taken both politically as well as the fact that DC borders a bunch of states.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Wait and see......this is going to make the Aviators look like a success.

Are you trying to be Doyleg in diguise. # 1 and 2 Idiots on this site. Shut up.

Pro soccer never failed in Toronto. It only fialed in the minds of great morons like you. Now do us all a favor a go take a dump in your blighty berg.

I didnt mean to specifically target to one community! I think "Rovers," "Olympians" or "Internationals" only help bring a commonality to the club. I think there is NO better name than "Internationals." It does exactly what everyone wants, identifies Toronto as a whole. I think it would be a nice name and wouldent stray too much form the Euro names, but also be a nickname.

As for Olympians, i think it's a decent name and the only reason why I thought it would apeal to Greeks is the fact that the Olympic games come form Greece. ok, Olympiakos too, but if we named the club "olympians" we wouldent be stuck with a Euro-snob name where the target community dosent come out!

I also like Loyalists, it would definatly stir up controversy with New England Revolution!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Leafs

Are you trying to be Doyleg in diguise. # 1 and 2 Idiots on this site. Shut up.

Pro soccer never failed in Toronto. It only fialed in the minds of great morons like you. Now do us all a favor a go take a dump in your blighty berg.

ummm. the Toronto Rockets....ummm even the CSL Toronto Blizzard. ummmm..Toronto Falcons...umm Toronto Shooting Stars...ummm..Toronto United...

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

ummm. the Toronto Rockets....ummm even the CSL Toronto Blizzard. ummmm..Toronto Falcons...umm Toronto Shooting Stars...ummm..Toronto United...

The Toronto Rockets should never have existed. Tony Fontana was not ready to own a team in the APSL. They were a major mistake. It clearly illustrated the poor condition of the league when they allowed the Rockets in. They were an inferior club on the field to the Blizzard and were just one heck of a mess using many of their CNSL players plus a few from the defunct Blizzard.

Making matters worse, the Rockets folded on the eve of their second season.

The CSL Toronto Blizzard did not fold. They outlasted the league just as the NASL Toronto Blizzard outlasted that league. Now, if you were to mention the APSL Toronto Blizzard, I'd have agreed with you. Get your facts straight.

The Toronto Falcons and the Toronto Shooting Stars failed but again you are proving that your knowledge is lacking. You forgot to mention the Toronto Thunderhawks.

That said, Indoor Soccer is an entirely different animal so IMO the Shooting Stars and Thunderhawks don't really count. Indoor Soccer is not Soccer.

BTW, do some research.

db

Sorry guys but Toronto Internationals is about the clunkiest (serious) name out there. Inter Toronto is the same sort of lame pandering as REaL Salt Lake (<-yes, that is their actual name!).

Call the team Toronto City FC (or just Toronto City) - it sounds like a proper soccer club, EPL has to be the most watched and most well known foreign league in this country, and it hasn't been taken by an existing MLS franchise. Put them in blue shirts, white shorts, and blue or white socks. Make the crest a blue maple leaf with a white banner across the top and bottom reading "Toronto City" and "Football Club" respectively. Encourage the media to call them the Soccer Leafs or Summer Leafs or whatever. The initial marketing campaign is easy - Toronto is a SOCCER CITY, hurrah! Make it clear that it is in fact possible to be a hockey fan AND a soccer fan. Have a 14+ general admission standing section in one end (okay now I'm just being greedy). NO STUPID "CITY" WRITTEN ACROSS THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!

All the above would be too easy though. Better spend millions on consulting and focus groups so that you can come up with a name that will sound dated and passe in 7 years - go Raps, Sharks, Thrashers, Wiz, Fusion, and Burn!

Blizzard would be a perfectly acceptable name based on history if nothing else. I'm sure they could come up with worse.

Toronto Sluts?

Toronto Homicide?

Toronto Gun Violence (note: hire 50 Cent as official spokesperson)?

Toronto Sprawl?

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

In keeping with the MLSE prehistoric theme (Raptors) how's bout Brontosauri

Toronto Bronto

More garbage. MLSE bought the Raptors. I guess checking facts is beyond you.

Why do the idiots allways throw in thier worthless 2 cents.

quote:Originally posted by Leafs

More garbage. MLSE bought the Raptors. I guess checking facts is beyond you.

Why do the idiots allways throw in thier worthless 2 cents.

Trolls don't understand sarcasm. Do they?

When you need attention like you are seeking it is a cry for help. It's not a joke anymore. Please give some thought to what you are doing. I know you see it as some sort of control in your life to get other people angry at you but please realize why you have the need to do it. It's not healthy my friend.

I got rid of you at Big Soccer and I don't know why the mods here put up with your childish nonsense but c'est la vie.

If you are able try to add something to the discussion, unfortunately as history shows you are unable. Get help before you get deeper into yourself.

quote:Originally posted by morrison

is it just me, or is anyone sick of blue in this city?

It doesn't have to be royal blue. I'd go kinda darker personally. I just think that it's an easier sell to the city's sportsfans... and I like having colours associated with a city. Though judging by your next comment and one in another thread I can see why you'd have trouble with royal blue.

quote:and the Loyalists? well... I'll just have to sit in the Revs section then ;)

Loyalists would work in Kingston and nowhere else. Sounds like a name that is trying way to hard to be "historic" IMHO. Actually, make that historic and lame... but that's just my opinion.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Trolls don't understand sarcasm. Do they?

When you need attention like you are seeking it is a cry for help. It's not a joke anymore. Please give some thought to what you are doing. I know you see it as some sort of control in your life to get other people angry at you but please realize why you have the need to do it. It's not healthy my friend.

I got rid of you at Big Soccer and I don't know why the mods here put up with your childish nonsense but c'est la vie.

If you are able try to add something to the discussion, unfortunately as history shows you are unable. Get help before you get deeper into yourself.

I guess you most pontificate since you where tossed ass an ahole Mod on big soccer. I belive the consensous was your where an Anal SOB.

So dont preach to me you pathtic whimp.

Darker blue would not bother me at all really...

I know what you mean by the whole city colour thing, and it would fit...

I would have no problem with it, it'd just be nice to maybe have red or something for a change.

As long as it's not a ridiculous colour motif

I just think that if we would name them the Loyalist, honestly, no one other than British descent would care, and even then, most of the population in Toronto could not care if the royals stay or not... but if you were to name them the Loyalist, yes there's an element in the history, but it would be undermining everything that this city has evolved to be in the last 50 years...

In the rest of Ontario you can get a sense of maybe pride in that aspect, but to my experience, unless you come from a deeply "loyal" family, there is a sense of apathy.

I can see a lot of the non-Brit descent not getting involved in a team that would be called the Loyalist, and quite honestly, to set up a team that would exclude something like 2/3 of the city population would be absolutely ridiculous

yes it is an opinion... but in terms of non-politics and trying to appeal to as much population as possible, it's just a name that will be quickly brushed off

As a Leaf fan, the Summer Leafs sounds really dumb. We need to appeal to the whole of Canada. Since were known as the Canucks, why not the Canucks? You can't go wrong with that. Maybe we can throw something on the end to differentiate ourselves from Vancouver (opponent of MLSE) and call them the Toronto Canuck Brigade. The Army of CANADIANS!!!

I just don't want to see another dumb logo like you see in American sports nowadays. The best names are ones that correspond with the local community or country. We hopefully wont follow the NBA, which seems to just throw whatever name sounds right on the end of the city. When they moved Vancouver to Memphis and Charlotte to New Orleans, both teams kept the preceding name - the Grizzlies and the Hornets, I mean Grizzlies in Memphis? we need something that reflects the country.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Call the team Toronto City FC (or just Toronto City) - it sounds like a proper soccer club, EPL has to be the most watched and most well known foreign league in this country, and it hasn't been taken by an existing MLS franchise. Put them in blue shirts, white shorts, and blue or white socks. Make the crest a blue maple leaf with a white banner across the top and bottom reading "Toronto City" and "Football Club" respectively. Encourage the media to call them the Soccer Leafs or Summer Leafs or whatever. The initial marketing campaign is easy - Toronto is a SOCCER CITY, hurrah!

Mike.

Okay, quiz time. Toronto City would be a logical name apart from all your reasons, while Toronto Town would not. Thinking of the English context. I am not asking if you like the name, I am indifferent about it.

But I'd like someone to tell me why, basing ourselves on the English context, why Toronto City would be logical in the same terms.

I am not sure my quiz question is clear, but I'll add to it if noone can offer a decent answer.

Archived