Good interview with Yallop.....

Winnipeg Fury

...on Soccer Central today.

- Radzinski didn't start vs Portugal because he has stated that he will skip the Gold Cup. Yallop was asked if it made any sense to keep him in the program, as he will probably be too old for World Cup Qualifying. Yallop stated that he wanted to keep him in the program, and that Radzinski understood he wouldn't necessarilly be a starter.

- Occean will miss the first match of Gold Cup, and will be replaced with Hume.

- Canada will play either Nicarauga or Honduras in Vancouver or Kingston. Yallop is hoping for Honduras. This will be our last match prior to Gold Cup.

- Yallop stated the obvious, suggesting that Lars must start playing to get his career back on track. I got the impression that Forrest did not think Lars was overly sharp.

Comment on Lars would lead one to believe that Lars his not his first choice. The ambiguity arises has to why then did he start him against Portugal? Must admit that the talent pool is not that deep, although I would be very comfortable starting Sutton based solely on his performance with the Montreal Impact, and the game versus NI. Question is who should be are number one?

I'm pretty sure Sutton is Canada's new #1.

As has been mentioned, Sutton's display vs NI and Lars' performance vs Portugal. And you kow Yallop is just itching to play as many NA players as possible.

It all adds up for me.

Well we're hooped if he shows preference to guys playing a 4 month season. We've lost Tam because of this BS and he won't be the last. The key to Canada being successful is playing our BEST players and playing them together as often as possible. You cannot convince me that any of our top 11 at any position are in Canada in the A-League. Grande was OK for me but nobody else stood out and Grande wouldn't have made the bench if Yallop had called the proper players in the first place. I agree that Lars needs some work and Sutton should get another look but it is pretty unfair to grade Sutton a lot higher than Lars on the basis of his performance against the very poor Northern Ireland squad.

Ed,

While I agree with your comments, we must not forget that Yallop also saw both these guys in training on two different occasions. Before the NI and Portugal games whereas we did not. As well, he must have viewed tapes of these guys in other game situations.

Sutton may have impressed in training and as well against NI, while Lars may have not been as convincing. Sutton has impressed for several years with the Impact, while Lars has been riding the pine for much of that time. Yallop is/was being fair by giving them bost a shot at the position.

I know we aren't deep at GK, but I don't know any keepers that ride the pine with their club and play for their country at the same time.

From what I have been reading concerning USL1 clubs like Montreal and Vancouver are signning new players bringing in better talent to the league. Some of us think the quality stinks, but it is getting better every year.

Just a side note; Nick Desantis was interviewed on Inside soccer in Feb 2005 and was asked to comment of the difference between MLS and USL1. He said major difference was that MLS had more quality strikers other than that the quality is pretty much equal.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well we're hooped if he shows preference to guys playing a 4 month season. We've lost Tam because of this BS and he won't be the last. The key to Canada being successful is playing our BEST players and playing them together as often as possible. You cannot convince me that any of our top 11 at any position are in Canada in the A-League. Grande was OK for me but nobody else stood out and Grande wouldn't have made the bench if Yallop had called the proper players in the first place. I agree that Lars needs some work and Sutton should get another look but it is pretty unfair to grade Sutton a lot higher than Lars on the basis of his performance against the very poor Northern Ireland squad.

Was Nsaliwa invited for the last two friendlies? I know he was asked for the last game in Guatemala and understandably declined. With all the questions regarding central defense, this is a kid that needs to be involved. It sounds like he's written off Canada for this season but hopefully we'll get him back onside for the next WCQ. Only 3 years to do that!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Yallop has shown his preference for Lars by giving an absurdly out-of-form keeper a cap in a major friendly. Sutton made his stops against his opposition, many of whom actually make it off the bench in the Championship or EPL. Where's the BS? What do Yallop's diplomatic comments about Hirschfeld have to do with Tam? I'll bet Craig Forrest's other nut that you didn't even see the interview.

It would be a huge joke if we didnt play atleast 1 more game. personally, I would like to see 2 or 3 more, but that might be too much to hope for on our budget.

Its interesting that it might be Nicaraugua as I have always wondered why canada doesnt play more friendlies against the smaller nations. They may not be a Portugal but they would give our boys a chance to get together a bit more often, or develop the North american players. Like Barbados, these countries would jump at the chance.

Bring on whoever, so long as its a home game.

As far as the goalie situation,, I have mentioned this before .. can we just admit it is one of our biggest weaknesses right now?? We just don't have a Forrest type leader back there that can take charge and steal us a game. I wanted Lars to succeed and be that guy but it looks like it's just not gonna happen and I think it's time to start looking elsewhere like Sutton. Lars has been riding the pine and bouncing from club to club every 6 months which somewhat is badluck, but I also believe that if one of these managers had seen some great potential in him they would of signed him longterm, but no one had done that yet.

As far as Nsaliwa, well ... I wish Yallop would of answered a question on that one. What we know is he wasn't invited for the world cup qualifiers, but then was invited for the last game in Guatemala and the N.Ireland friendly which he turned down both to remain with his club. I don't think we have heard anything yet if he turned down the invite or wasn't invited to Portugal. Hopefully Yallop and Nsaliwa are able to get on the same page this summer and we see him at the Gold Cup,, If Nsaliwa refuses to play cause his pride is hurt ,, then screw it, we don't need crybabies on this team.. But if Yallop doesn't call him while we continue to struggle in the central defender position, then he definitely has to re-evaluate what he's doing

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

If Nsaliwa refuses to play cause his pride is hurt ,, then screw it, we don't need crybabies on this team.. But if Yallop doesn't call him while we continue to struggle in the central defender position, then he definitely has to re-evaluate what he's doing

I like Tam, but he has refused the invite before. But even if he

is included in the picture, we're in trouble at back if he is injured.

We really have to address the depth problem foremost as one or two

players cannot be relied upon solely to solidify the defense.

I don't know what the probem is with Nsaliwa, but we need to solidify

that backline, with or without him.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

- Radzinski didn't start vs Portugal because he has stated that he will skip the Gold Cup. Yallop was asked if it made any sense to keep him in the program, as he will probably be too old for World Cup Qualifying. Yallop stated that he wanted to keep him in the program, and that Radzinski understood he wouldn't necessarilly be a starter.

Yeah, that's what I figured on all counts (though I'm not sure he will be past it when qualifying begins in 3 years time).

In February, Sutton had just come off some trials in England so he would have been about as sharp as Lars. In March, Sutton had been back home for a month and Hirschfeld had at least been practicing with Leicester so Hirschfeld would have been closer to match readiness. Assuming Yallop wanted to have a look at each guy, it makes sense that Sutton played against NI and Lars played against Portugal.

If the most important thing for Lars to do is get some matches, then Yallop shouldn't call him up for the Gold Cup. July is when most European clubs are in training camp - that's going to be his chance to earn a job somewhere. Leaving him be is the best long-term decision Yallop can make right now. I'd give Sutton the start and call up a young guy as injury cover.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

- Occean will miss the first match of Gold Cup, and will be replaced with Hume.

- Canada will play either Nicarauga or Honduras in Vancouver or Kingston. Yallop is hoping for Honduras. This will be our last match prior to Gold Cup.

- Yallop stated the obvious, suggesting that Lars must start playing to get his career back on track. I got the impression that Forrest did not think Lars was overly sharp.

If Radz doesn't want to be part of the team tell him to go do

something unpleasant to him self. He's a big waste of space. IMHO.

If Yallop can't realize he's wasting time then he should go as well.

Since we have such a hard group in the Gold Cup,it's better to get the players like Lars game time ,and not worry about the results,

the USA and Costa Rica will adavnce anyways so play some of the youngsters.

Anyway you look at it, the loss of radzinski is a bit of a blow, to the depth chart atleast. My question is, does Yallop go with just the three (Dero, Hume, Occean) or does he bring in a forth (or possibly even fifth) striker?

This would be a great opportunity to blood some new young talent, mabey from the U-20 pool or from the Domestic players. People like Ali Gerba, Will Johnson, Ryan Gyaki (admitedly a mid, but one to watch)...

Either that or give Pesch a chance.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

I tend to agree with you. I would just hate to see us take only three strikers.

Who are some of the possible new caps you guys would like to see given a chance?

Brillant could be given a chance with OO. Although if Radz is out of the GC, I think Yallop needs to call Jon De Guzman to see what will happen. Then there's Rob Friend...

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

If Radz doesn't want to be part of the team tell him to go do

something unpleasant to him self. He's a big waste of space. IMHO.

If Yallop can't realize he's wasting time then he should go as well.

Since we have such a hard group in the Gold Cup,it's better to get the players like Lars game time ,and not worry about the results,

the USA and Costa Rica will adavnce anyways so play some of the youngsters.

Exactly--we're probably going to lose every game anyways, so let's go with some guys we KNOW might actually do something useful out there. I say bring in some of our U15s and U16s. I mean, Yallop will still mess it all up, but at least these kids might actually give our opponents a real test.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

I tend to agree with you. I would just hate to see us take only three strikers.

Who are some of the possible new caps you guys would like to see given a chance?

We can take 5 - 6 strikers, just don't play them at once. 2 strikers or just 1 depending on the quaility of opposition should be good enough, we will win games more on defence the offence, just get a goal

and hold on to it, it has worked in the past.

We can take 5 - 6 strikers, just don't play them at once. 2 strikers or just 1 depending on the quaility of opposition should be good enough, we will win games more on defence the offence, just get a goal

and hold on to it, it has worked in the past.

youllneverwalkalone - believe me , if Jon Deguzman wanted to be capped by Canada he would already have been playing for us by now. I'm quite sure Mitchell and Yallop would have already been in contact with him but it's been brought up on this board many times including an interview with Julian Deguzman that Jon wants to worry about his club future first and foremost for the next couple years and then possibly commit his international future to Canada or Holland down the road. If he also wanted to commit now to Canada you'd probably see him play for us in the U20 World Cup in Holland but that doesn't seem to be the case at all as we haven't heard anything about him yet

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Hey, maybe we should play them all at once. Maybe go with the following line-up (indirectly inspired by the Beast. Hey, every village has one; why should the Voyageurs be any different.)

Sutton

Hutch Nsaliwa Kluka

Stalteri DeGuzman

Friend McKenna Hume DeRosario Occean

---- Now that is a killer line-up and formation.

Sutton..............? Why not just put Onstad back in the goal.:(

Archived