Most memorable football game you have attended?

algorithim

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Xenophobe!!![:P]

I lied. If I remember the game, chances are I didn't have any fun at all:D.

Oh yeah, make me look up a new word in the dictionary .......X that'd be towards the end of that big book right ;) You must play ahhhhh what's the name of that game...... scrabble ;)

Well there's no point in going to a stadium that doesn't sell beer and with the non smoking laws we dope smokers can just go mix in with those getting a nicotine fix in their little huddles so how is anyone expected to remember a game shhhhhish the pressure [:o)]

EDIT: Due to not remembering where the ahhhhh thingys on the keyboard were and Smokey Bacon chips they're the best mon!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Ahem.

Allow me to translate.

Xenophobe. Friday night adult parlor game played by drunk lesbians after watching reruns of Zena, Warrior Princess.

Wouldn't that be Xenaprobe......Champ must have misspelled it!

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Wouldn't that be Xenaprobe......Champ must have misspelled it!

No, no. He got it right the first time around.

Much like hockey is played with a hockey stick, Xenophobe is played with a Xenaprobe.

A whole wealth of knowledge to found on the internet eh?

And getting back onto topic,

memmories a bit foggy but the one match that stands out in my mind might have been the '89 or '90 playoff match between my Fury and that Calgary Kickers/Strikers/What-yah-me-callits bunch.

First go at the playoffs for the local lads after what must have been their only profitable year. Even if it was on the crap plastic at Winnipeg Stadium.

It was already know Calgary were officialy folding after the post-season. The weather was crap and both sides were in a sour mood.

Ever notice sometimes how adverse weather conditions can realy get the crowds into matchs? It was one of those nights. Great stuff.

As the match got on I happened on people I hadn't seen in years and by overtime we were leading the whole of the grandstand into life. Unlike Pan-Am you could buy beers at the Stadium. The one and only improvement over the University digs. Well that and the roof. Sure appreciated it that day.

Ended up winning and going on to meet Vancouver and get pounded but that was a great match. Not because of the on-field quality because in truth it was crap but because of the life in the grandstand. Small croud. Three thousand, thirty five hundred tops (it was a harsh night). But every man, woman and child "into it".

And how often do you get bench clearing brawls in football?

Great stuff.

That or the Canada-USA metal round match during the Pan-Am games. Wild closing to the 2nd half. Lost but we scared the beegeezus out of the Yanks that evening.

QUATERFINALS

14-04-1999 Buenos Aires - River Plate 1 L.D.U. 0

21-04-1999 Quito - L.D.U. 1 River Plate 0

Penalties: L.D.U. 4 River Plate 5

Watched the second leg of a home and away tie with my team in Ecuador, Liga of Quito (L.D.U). 50,000 fans. Packed, open air stadium. Lost the first leg and had to win 1-0 at home to tie. The team featuring (now Aston Villa's) De La Cruz scored a late winner and then lost 5-4 in penalties. Unforgettable.

October 3, 1984 - Varsity Stadium, Toronto

The Toronto Blizzard are defeated 3-2 by the Chicago Sting in the final NASL Soccer Bowl and, in fact, the final NASL match.

The Blizzard were down 2 nil to the Sting when quick goals by South African John Paskin and Italian Roberto Bettega tied the match.

A late goal by Chicago ended the Blizzard's comeback dream and that was the end.

There was a crowd of about 18k on hand.

I've got the audio of the two goals if anybody wants to experience some chills. The 18k made so much noise, when I listen to the file now, I can barely believe it.

If you want the audio file, write me at dbailey62@yahoo.com

db

• 10 years later...

So, what is your game?  

I posted back in 2005 that it was the UEFA Cup game between Sarajevo and Sigma Olomouc.  Sigma went out on penalties, and I was the only away supporter.

Another game I can add was Macedonia vs Canada, even though we lost, it was a fantastic trip.

Edinburgh derby, Hibernian v. Hearts: Jan 2, 2003 at Tynecastle.

Was 2-2 at 88 minutes, and the match ended 4-4.  Goals at 88, 89, 89, 90.  I was sitting in the Hibs end, and the man next to me cried when Hibs went up 3-2 at the 88th, and then he cried again(or still?) when Hearts tied it at 4-4.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/Match_Report/0,,-41099,00.html

So far Denver 2013, Gold Cup.  The game itself against Panama wasn't great, but I remember walking into the hotel and Justin and Jordan were there, the first thing I did was introduce myself and then go meet all the Vs that were there.  My first experience meeting fellow Vs that I'll never forget that made this truly feel like an actual community to me.

Between watching my sister win provincials two years in a row and getting to do play by play for the CSL championship a couple times, there are great games from which to choose.

I would say 2012 v Panama though. I literally had tears after we scored as I thought the hex was a lock.

I would say 2012 v Panama though. I literally had tears after we scored as I thought the hex was a lock.

You beat me too it.

This was my first game in Toronto and it was an absolutely epic day. So many memories. Supporters vs Supporters soccer match at Lamport, a huge pre-game at gossip, and then that sweet/cheeky quick free kick goal.

The SK twins missed their flight in Regina and made the game with 5min to spare and we had a chant all ready for them :)

After the game Mapleblood (Steve from Edmonton) was walking out of the stands in a daze and quietly said 'We won ... I can't believe we won' and then gave me a very awkward hug. We had met about 5hrs before.

Finch made up spontaneous lyrics to Flo-Rida about how much Panama sucked and I caught it on video.

It was such a special day.

As a second best Bayern Munich vs Hamburg 9-2 in Munich. But my emotional investment was way lower.

Archived