Most memorable football game you have attended?

algorithim

Saw Bordeaux vs Lille when I was in France a couple of years back one of the most memorable has to be from the Eircom ;League here, there was a cup game between Bohemians and Saint Patricks Arthletic (team I support), we won 3-2 and was hoarse after, we gave the Bohemians keeper so much grief as he was a knob! (Shay Williams). Needless to say brilliant night.

Brian Kerr who is Irish manager now used to Pats years ago in the early 90's and drinks in the bar after, Mc Dowells. Everyone leaves him to his own devices!

well, manchester united v. celtic probably. 4-0 to the reds! in seattle.

but actually, watching the pakenham cup final (oldest cup in canada played for by the fraser valley soccer league divisions premier to u21). townsend park rangers v. surrey fc. rangers won 2-1, for their first in decades for the city of chilliwack. surrey fc moved laterally (up?) to the vancouver metro soccer league the following season.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Most memorable game... hmm... Hamilton v. Kitchener. Kitchener actually had an organized travelling supporters (a school bus full) and they sang alot of the game. I remember Kitchener not being that good and Hamilton being one of the better sides... it ended 3-3 in a fabulous game. The ref was making some pretty lousy calls all game, and a Hamilton winger got really upset, and booted the ball out of the stadium (that kick had to clear Cannon St.) and was sent off.

Also, Hamilton v. Montreal in a playoff, second leg (ish). Montreal won the first game 1-0 and Hamilton won the second game 2-1 (no away goals rule)... so they played a 30 minute mini game... which they won 1-0. I was miserable weather for the 90-minute game, but it was gorgeous weather for the 30.

Quality of the game : Anderlecht - MU, with two goals of Radzinski

General ambiance : Bruges - Barcelona with 25000 Bruges fans always singing, including YNWA

Personal preferences : hmmm, difficult to say, a lot of RWDM matches, including derbies against Anderlecht, promotion match (winner) in Mons, last game ever in Ghent, home UEFA cup against Besiktas, and a lot of other ones...

What a fun topic - three way tie 1. august 1988 first time to Celtic Park v Motherwell 1-1 dismal game but first times are first times. 2 Celtic - Man U seattle - again not a great game from my POV but in the autograph huddle after the pre match training i got engaged to the congrats of some of the bhoys so its got to be on here (besides it set me up for a lifelong love of my team from my future wife - coup) 3. Rep v Spain Suwon 2002, just for the utter rapture that existed (ultimately too briefly) when frisk pointed to the spot, to tie the game in the dying momments. the energy and passion on display at that momment is such that i had not yet, nor since, witnessed.

I guess the sad thing is, that my three best games, and my team never won. ???. Oh well - again fun topic -well done

The Lynx home playoff game vs Rochester in 2000 (I think?) was actually quite electric - everyone huddled under the pressbox avoiding the rain, actually engaged by the game, singing, chanting, making noise. I'll never forget that.

Alianza Lima vs Sporting Cristal, May 2000 (Peruvian League). Nothing like authentic south american soccer atmosphere. What i'll never forget is that the hardcore Alianza supporters had a HUGE drum in their colours, the thing was at least 5 metres in diametre. Its a dream of mine to somehow construct something similar with the maple leaf on it.

The one and only premiership match I've attended, Liverpool at Anfield against Aston Villa in 2000. An early-season fixture, notable for the hat-trick notched by Michael Owen.

I was in Liverpool on business and managed to score some tickets through the company I was working for. They were seasons tickets from somewhere and the coupon for the ticket had the seat and row numbers hand-written on them. I went with a colleague from the States (who had no interest in football, but I forced him to go because I knew he'd enjoy the atmosphere).

As we went through the gate to enter Anfield, I watched as the American went before me and handed his ticket to the ticket-taker. He continued through the gate and ended up on the other side, empty-handed and dumbfounded. I quickly looked at my ticket to memorize the seat, row, and section number.

We found the seats (empty, luckily, because we really had no way of proving we belonged in them). Until the game started, we were half waiting for someone to kick us out of the seats.

Close second would be Canada and Mexico at Varsity in November 2000. Great atmosphere on a chilly Toronto night.

NASL Montreal Manic vs. Chicago playoff game at Olympic Stadium with over 40,000 fans, great atmosphere.

World Cup 1998 in France, all four games. Iran-Yugoslavia, Iran-USA (a lot of tension between different Iranian factions, but still fun)Romania-Columbia, and the best played game France-Denmark.

Mexico-Canada 1993 WCQ in Toronto, lots of Mexican fans, disappointing loss, Yallop and Watson on defence.

Actually, it was the last game I attended, the 2004 A-League Championship in Montréal, which was awesome on and off the pitch. And pitch invasion to boot!

The only games I've seen outside of Canada have been mediocre. 2001 Bétis game against Getafe in the Segunda: 1-0 on a penalty and the 1-0 Canada loss in Wales.

Actually, it was the last game I attended, the 2004 A-League Championship in Montréal, which was awesome on and off the pitch. And pitch invasion to boot!

The only games I've seen outside of Canada have been mediocre. 2001 Bétis game against Getafe in the Segunda: 1-0 on a penalty and the 1-0 Canada loss in Wales.

Three games come to mind for me:

-1994: Canada vs Brazil. I was only 11 years old, I rememeber sitting on the half line, row 2. Just an amazing atmosphere, seeing Commonwealth nearly full for a soccer match.

-2002: Canada vs Brazil U19 World Cup. Great game, great finish, again great atmosphere.

-2003: Man Utd vs Celtic. Finally got to see the Red Devils live, overall a great experience.

Hard to pick out between these four:

Celtic - Roma at the SkyDome last summer. As a game this left a lot to be desired but it was just about an all around perfect day full of numerous minor miracles. Possibly one of the best days in my life from start to finish.

Hamilton Thunder 4 - London City 3 in July of '03 at the Tim. The game that started the BHTC and all the animosity with Sh!tty City. The Thunder absolutely dominated the game but London kept poaching crap goals to take a 3 goal lead. With twenty minutes to go the Thunder finally broke through though and came all the way back to win it in injury time. The fact that 12 completely loaded buddies of mine from my soccer team were there and we kept a chorus going for the whole match didn't hurt either. Again, too many individual little stories that made the day than I could ever relate here.

Cenral Park Wanderers 4 - Eastenders 3 at Central Park June '03. A glorious sunny summer morning. A 3 - 1 deficit overcome in the final ten minutes (including another injury time winner). On the field where we used to play pick up soccer. Against the team we considered our arch-rivals before we even kicked a ball in anger. For the first win in the history of CPW. There's a reason we still have team sweaters that just say 4 - 3 on the back: it just doesn't get any better than this.

Central Park Wanderers (wearing Celtic hoops) 5 - Rangers 4 June '04 at Sherwood Forest Park. Another glorious CPW comeback. Giving up 4 goals in the first twenty minutes is not generally a good thing; especially after we thought we were back in the game at 1 - 2 after we scored on a penalty after 12 minutes. But in a game against a team called Rangers we were never going to give up and after making it 2 - 4 before the half we stormed back with another 3 goals in the final 15 minutes to earn our first win of the year last season. The game ball was immeadiately retired as a keepsake.

Mike.

Hmmm....

Seattle Sounders vs Vancouver Whitecaps (2002 playoffs) - beating Seattle 2-6 at their stadium the year they were supposedly invincible, at the horrible Memorial Stadium that was an absolute fortress during the regular season of 2002. Meant a 2-8 aggregate win. Was also my first Whitecaps road trip.

Toronto Lynx vs Hampton Roads Mariners (2002) - met three lads from London at the end-of-subway bus station. They were there for that Pope deal back in the summer of 2002, although they were skipping whichever Christian event was on that day for a Lynx match! Now that's footie fervour! :D They were great fun, terrorizing "Brooksie" of Hampton Roads throughout the match ("tuck in your shirt, son!"), then shaked his hand after the match. Smiles all around.

England v China, Summer Universiade (University Games), Daegu, South Korea (2003) - I was the only England supporter at the match, at a small ground with a 300-person capacity, surrounded by athletes and officials from the Chinese camp. I started taking the piss out of the Chinese in Mandarin, and found out the hard way that Chinese aren't familiar with the idea of "friendly ribbing". Korean games' officials had to step in to prevent a rucus from starting! The lads my age soon realised what I was up to and began exchanging the fire with me, having a great time, but those old enough to remember the Maoist era certainly had their nationalist hairs standing on end! Lucky I didn't start an international incident, to be quite honest. I can just see the headlines now....

quote:Originally posted by Billy the Bluenose

so far, this season......has to be the Old Firm Derby at Parkhead on Feb.

The first time we have won there in nearly 5 years, Courtesy of Rab "the flap" Douglas and Nacho Novo :)

ta se go h-iontach ;)

Yeh that was a dismal display that day!

Pick an Atlantic Bowl .....opps you meant soccer of course. Well then any Mount Allison/Université de Moncton game they hate each other. French agin English ya know, close proximity of campuses that kinda thang.

Not much of a tourist unless it's to get away from snow for awhile;)

Pick an Atlantic Bowl .....opps you meant soccer of course. Well then any Mount Allison/Université de Moncton game they hate each other. French agin English ya know, close proximity of campuses that kinda thang.

Not much of a tourist unless it's to get away from snow for awhile;)

Archived