Yallop on Inside Soccer Radio, Feb 19

beachesl

Yallop on last Saturday's Inside Soccer Talk Radio, Segment 10

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archive.asp?aid=3465

(interview on Segment 6 with impact's Coach Nic diSantis, who says USL1 is close to MLS, gap has narrowed considerably; perhaps better defensively, USL1 only missing Latin American strikers; Impact's crowd success due to a lot of visits of players to schools as well as having to local players community cares about, but mainly because of top organization from which spirit filters down;did not say that MLS in Canada was good or bad, but said if MLS was to come to Montreal Saputo/Impact would probably be the franchise, but that MLS in Canada is just talk for now)

--------------------------

Yallop:

NI tough place to go to get result, we didn't play particualrly well, goalkeeping and defending wonderful, otherwise one-way traffic for NI; good emotional test playing before NI crowd for players, especially the guys from A-League

Sanchez is getting NI back on right path

All about builing confidence and belief, we are going to have go at Portugal, guys should experience game, not sitting back

Good camp, 6 days to prepare, start camp on Sunday before Saturday match

Radzinski will probably be available and coming, because he wants to keep playing for years, not De Vos, Stalteri probably being left out, De Guzman probably will, mainly what we had in NI; want somebody who are saying they will be here for 3 or 4 years in the future

got a tape of Ireland-Portugal friendly, will talk to Brian Kerr (manager of Ire), and will get tape of match

Every game for big picture, getting better, same preparation and will try to win each game

Will be going to Holland WYC to help Dale, we want to get into Q-F's

Kerfoot looking to building stadium (as well as training centre) for Whitecaps and Nat team

Hopefully we can get an MLS team, so we can get some of better Canadian boys playing here for friendlies in Canada and region

----------------------------

I like Halliday and Quinn, they know soccer, but they don't know enough about Canadian soccer to ask pertinent questions of guests like Yallop.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me (about 12:30 minute mark) that Frank is mulling over whether he WANTS to call Stalteri (and doesn't sound fully decided on deGuzman) for the Portugal game or not. Yallops wishes to pick and choose players, based on their long-term committments.

Should I/we be worried about this?

Great to hear about Radzinski though.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Sounds to me (about 12:30 minute mark) that Frank is mulling over whether he WANTS to call Stalteri (and doesn't sound fully decided on deGuzman) for the Portugal game or not. Yallops wishes to pick and choose players, based on their long-term committments.

Should I/we be worried about this?

Great to hear about Radzinski though.

Hmmm, well hopefully it is based on actual and properly interpreted long-term commitments to Canada, rather than long-term commitments to the coach's particular philosophy. Stalteri has too much class to talk behind Yallop's back, but I wonder ( this is just wild specualtion ) whether he has questioned Yallop's philosophy and this may result in his not being on Frank's list. This would be unfortunate if this was the case, as this goes against the rationale for Yallop being hired (being open and communicative with the palyers).

I was very surprised to see Radzinski stating (according to Yallop) a commitment to Canada, as I though t it was clear from his comments last year that he was only interested in trying to get to Germany. Well, I'm no big fan of the rat, but if he shows he is sincere in this committment then my respect for him will rise.

Nice find.

Well, it seems that the Gaffer agrees with many in that we shouldn't have left Windsor Park with anything resembling a win. Always finding the silver lining though.

Here's a turn around. Win ugly and win. Dosen't sound like the Yallop who was mouthing off at the beginning of WCQ. Good. Maybe he's learning something from that disaster.

Here's a worry. Go at Portugal. Why not?. The last time you gabbed out "Why not?" you led Canada into it's worse finish in WCQ in memmory, with the strongest available squad in memmory. How about this. You'll get handed your arse and look the fool doing it, that's why not.

From it's okay to win ugly to may as well have a go at Portugal inside the same breath? WTF? Dose this make any scence to anyone else or am I misreading things here?

Very discouraging news on both de Guzman and Diesel. When taken into the context of de Vos' retirement dosen't all this just rub you the wrong way? Why are our top level players finding issue with Yallop? Or vise versa?

You know what's beginning to piss me off? This "logic" which says if a player isn't going to be below 30 come 2010 that he should be dropped from the MNT program because he'll likely be over the hill by then. And Yallop keeps parroting that line. Oh boy. (How long to Easter? I don't know if I can make it...)

Still all hot and sweaty for MLS in Canada it seems.

Anyway, it's nice to hear some Canadian footie talk on the radio. Even if it is off the internet.

I hope the reason he's not likely to call Stalteri is because he thinks Paul could use that week to get some rest with his champions league duties. Otherwise he should be in Portugal. He's young enough to be around when qualifying starts up again, so this should not be a concern.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Well, it seems that the Gaffer agrees with many in that we shouldn't have left Windsor Park with anything resembling a win.

Very discouraging news on both de Guzman and Diesel.

What was discouraging about the De Guzman news? He said he was going to call him. With Diesel, I am a bit curious.

As to his reaction to the Northern Ireland match, it didn't sound to me like he would agree with what many on this board were saying.

Cheeta et al., I think we'd be jumping to massive assumptions if we started saying that Yallop does not have the support or loyalty of his players. Hell, even Brennan came back to play with us. Diesel has been loyal all the way; he's not ditching the team. DeVos, we know, has decided to hang up the boots internationally. Shave four years from Devos and I'm sure he'd still be coming out. We don't know squat on this issue at this point. I'll believe that Stalteri has a problem with Yallop when I'm given real evidence. ie Stalteri or Yallop indicate that they have a problem.

I know where you're coming from, I do--but I think we need to have stronger evidence before we start making these sort of claims.

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that Stalteri and/or deGuzman are not committed long-term to the team. I just got the impression, from the interview, that Frank didn't sound overly convincing, when talking about these two - that's all.

For most of us, Paul and Julian would be (without hesitation) the first two names written down on a gamesheet. I simply wonder if Frank is thinking differently (for whatever reason).

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that Stalteri and/or deGuzman are not committed long-term to the team. I just got the impression, from the interview, that Frank didn't sound overly convincing, when talking about these two - that's all.

For most of us, Paul and Julian would be (without hesitation) the first two names written down on a gamesheet. I simply wonder if Frank is thinking differently (for whatever reason).

No, its true, we can't know what is going on in Frankie's head, but he's bright enough to know that Stalteri and DeGuzman are easily two of his best players and will play a large role in forming the core of players he will use as we move forward. The perceived hesitation in Yallop's voice could suggest a number of things...

Must admit, though, that the idea of not having Diesel present for Portugal sucks big time. Still, I am very excited to see our guys play, and hope they can take their game up a notch or two.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Hardly surprising. Perhaps FY knows that both players want to avoid meaningless exhibition matches to concentrate on their club careers.

JDG will be trying to break into a huge club and Stalteri/Werder Bremen are closing in on a championship.

JDG will still be with Hannover on March 26.

Either way, it's an international date, and not exactly a long trip for either of them. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

JDG will be trying to break into a new club next season, not in March, and as Frank said he'd be calling him anyway, I'm not sure where the concern about him not being there is coming from.

Note as well that while I'm not surprised about Radzinski apparently coming Frank's quote was that he would "probably be available" - so I won't be surprised at the same time if he isn't in the line-up March 26th.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I thought Stalteri had Portugese ancestry or something. In any event, shouldn't there be some meaning in playing against one of the world's top sides?

Stalteri's wife of of Portuguese heritage.

I'm assuming that with a name like Stalteri, he is of Italian descent.

Fair enough to speculate, but I don't have the least concern about the commitment of DeGuz & Stalteri. Would really love to see Stalteri in Portugal, though -- geez, he's arguably the best player in Canada.

On a completely unrelated note -- are the strains of cold/virus going around these days nasty, or what? Christ, I've been flat on my back for five days and I still don't know whether I've peaked yet. Sure don't remember this when I was younger, and hate to think it's something to get used to when I'm old.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I hope the reason he's not likely to call Stalteri is because he thinks Paul could use that week to get some rest with his champions league duties. Otherwise he should be in Portugal. He's young enough to be around when qualifying starts up again, so this should not be a concern.

I'm hoping you're closer to the mark than I am. Don't know though.

As to The Guz, old Frankie sounded as though he was considered him as a fill-in player in the middle, not exactly his 1st choice. Do know that I don't like the sound of that. I may be hearing something there that isn't thought. Or Frankie may have Julie in mind for a role he wouldn't otherwise except for the absence of certain players. Like Stalteri for example.

I'm just getting the impression from Frankie, now and in the past, that's he's more keen at playing his "lesser players" because he can have them more often. Not get lads here and there piecemeal because of club commitments, unreasonable travel, blah, blah, blah. There's a plan in that I'll admit, but I think Yallop's being too much the anti-Holger and rather than under rating the NA boys he is in fact over rating them.

Seems pleased that there will be more than a day or two training before the match for the odvious reasons. And so am I. The calender's getting short and I'm expecting the "new" 1st team out for the match. Should be a little look-see into our future I think. Very curious and can't wait.

P.S. Wee Elf works in hospital and brings home all sorts of nasty stuff with her I'm sure. Not often sick around here though, but yeah, we've a fellow at work who's been hauling his sorry arse into work for two weeks now hurting from toes to crown in a sinister, vile attempt to infect the lot of us. He's taking one victom down with him and more may follow. I'll keep score and let you know.

P.S.S. One nice thing about being an insomniac is you can sometimes hit the realy great movies on the televison. Like A Clockwork Orange on Showcase just now. You've got to love those four fun loving kids...

To soon to draw conclusions but the circumstantial evidence is piling up against the coach.

March 26 is an international date. Stalteri's German NT teammates have a game the same day and it's not like Stalteri has played all of Bremen's games. Travel is not a problem. Schedule conficts are not a problem.

A glamour game against Portugal and we aren't using our best team? I thought learning to win was suppose to be part the development process. I don't see any strategy long-term or otherwise.

Imagine the media uproar in England if a healthy Beckham was left out, in Italy if Totti was left out, or in Brazil if Ronaldinho was left out. And I would say that the gap between Stalteri and his replacement would be much larger than the gap between those mentioned above and their replacements.

We may not be seeing fire yet but something is smoking.

Here's a partial list of players who have a problem with Yallop:

DeVos - lost the armband, lost his last chance to play in the World Cup.

Aguiar - recalled, then rejected, recalled, then rejected.

Brennan - lost his place, then criticized for asking to keep his place.

Nsaliwa - snubbed, then criticized for playing poorly for the olympic team, then snubbed some more

Stalteri - threw a tantrum, now being shut out.

Hume - got subbed out for CORAZZIN! That's gotta hurt!

That covers all of our best players...but DeRo and the A-leaguers are still on board for the Impress the MLS project!

To be honest, Stalteri deserves that for that kinda stunt. He put the team in a giant hole by not being able to play.

BUT - I think that whole list is bull anyways, your just trying to cause ****...

To be honest, we cant put ourselves in the same group as an england or a brazil... because they dont get crapped on when they call up there stars. We always get crapped on, and its because larry doesnt have star power to force the club to let him go. Where as if barca was to tell Ronnie that he cant go play for Brazil... OOOO man, Ronnie would ask to be sold and barca wouldnt want that.

Anways, believe what you want, but its definatly not another holger situation

Time to move on from WCQ -on all fronts. If JDV is really gone, Stalteri should wear the armband. However, regarding the former, I'm surprised Yallop didn't make any reference to any attempt to bring De Vos back. Why would FY give up so easily? It was a decision made under duress and he's needed to bring Klukowski & Nsaliwa (hopefully)along. I'd understand if he wanted to reduce injury risk for his club, but I'd still like to hear him confirm his retirement after some time for sober reflection.

quote:Originally posted by canso

"Why would FY give up so easily?"

Maybe because he knows JDV doesn't like him?

Even so, if you care about your public image (Yallop I mean), you should at least pretend like you tried. I'm beginning to think that Yallop's main flaw is that he is abusing the lack of media coverage in this country by not communicating at all. Very recently I was arguing the "we don't know enough to judge" line. I'm beginning to rethink this.

Archived