Canada-Croatia Friendly

Croat

Expect an announcement soon, I suppose.

It is to be played in Toronto at the Skydome (Rogers Centre). I am not sure of the date, but Croatia's national head coach Zlatko Kranjcar was in Toronto today signing it off. He and his associates had dinner at my dad's friends house, believe it or not.

The crowd will prolly be 50-50 Canada-Croats....But still, Home friendlies are awesome regarless. Great ot hear! no home games for 4 years was just a disgrace! 2 potential home friendlies in a span of a month or 2 is awesome for hopefully increasing popularity in the MNT.

just a side note, totally OT: anyone see the slam dunk competition saturday nite? You guys notice Martin nash's infulence on his brohter steve? (the header dunk and the one where he did the flick thingy?) Steve's got some skills......haha maybe franky will call him up)

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

just a side note, totally OT: anyone see the slam dunk competition saturday nite? You guys notice Martin nash's infulence on his brohter steve? (the header dunk and the one where he did the flick thingy?) Steve's got some skills......haha maybe franky will call him up)

Steve was the BC high school soccer MVP. He's a skilled soccer player in his own right.

quote:

Steve played in the second half here in Victoria in a game with Vic. United against Seattle I think it was. He definitely did not look out of place and in fact set up one of the Victoria goals.

Franky was on Sportstalk here in Vancouver tonight and he said he thought playing at home here in Canada was very important for the national team. He said he was going to lobby hard for more home games at the next CSA meeting. Hopefully, this is just the start of things to come. :)

That has to be the attraction for the Croation team, the large Croat community in Toronto.

It certainly won't be the field turf at Sky Dome that is attracting them.

Definitely would have to be in late May or June. It will have been nearly 5 years since the last national team game in Toronto.

Thats the only way croatia is going to come... if they play in Toronto... what big team wants to fly to edmonton and party there?

And ps.. i kno all u western ppl are now going to jump at me cause "TORONTO is the centre of the f'n universe!!!!!"

And why run away from toronto, we need a fan base there because we do have a national team stadium coming soon...

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Thats the only way croatia is going to come... if they play in Toronto... what big team wants to fly to edmonton and party there?

And ps.. i kno all u western ppl are now going to jump at me cause "TORONTO is the centre of the f'n universe!!!!!"

And why run away from toronto, we need a fan base there because we do have a national team stadium coming soon...

Ya Sean, Toronto IS the centre of the f'n universe. :D

I don't really care, just have a freaking game there. Closer

than Boston for sure.

Well, as a BC-based Westerner, I'd be thrilled if Toronto got the game. Nice to see games spread around, and if the game is not played in Toronto, then I think Vancouver would be the next logical choice, simply because of OUR Croat population. In fact, I've got a sneaky suspicion that there are more Croats living in Canada than in Croatia. Used to play soccer with and against a bunch of Croats (and that is as much as I'll say on that).

Certainly this must earn the CSA and Yallop a few points, n'est-ce pas?

Archived