Canada-Croatia Friendly

Croat

Well Croatia plays Bulgaria June 4 and then they dont play again until September. If this game takes place it could be Canada Day. I would think that would be the last day you would want to have a friendly before the gold cup starts. It also leaves 3 days to get the dome ready for the Jays again. Lets hope this turns out to be HUGE!!!!

It'd be great if they could get another high profile team together for the tournament that would draw some old country supporters in from the TO area, and make it a 3 match tourny (ie: Portugal, Italy, Holland, Scotland, Serbia, Slovenia, Greece?). This would rationalize more the cost of putting in real grass (you would think that this would be a condition to Croatia appearing, they would have little desire to play on FieldTurf, as opposed to us depending on where our GC matches are).

Late May (the Croatian season ends in mid-May)as a mini-prep camp for the Croatian WCQ's (in which case it would be closer to a full strength team on June 4 when they play Bulgaria away) is unlikely because there is a long Jays homestand from May 20 to 29, so more likely it is the last week in June as a longer Croatian development camp. The Jays are away from June 24 to July 5, so early in the July 1 weekend would be ideal. The other alternative (and one which would more fully bring a stronger Croation team)would be the June 5-12 window when the Jays are away (Croatia does not play a WCQ on the second date of the June 3-8 WCQ period), Friday the 10 of June being the optimal date for that period. In terms of preparation if we get the FieldTurf of Seattle for the opening two GC matches, an early June date in the Skydome installed grass, followed by matches on the FieldTurf of Ottawa and Montreal (Molson) in late June/Canada Day weekend, would be optimal. I would expect (hope?) that the CSA has already got a quiet guarantee of either Miami or Seattle/Foxboro already from CONCACAF, so they probably have this in their planning details.

Question: I recall some recent talk about Roger's converting Skydome to FieldTurf or related turf, is that online for the next 4 months?

Note: Still no announcements on Kirin Cup in Japan in May as to visiting teams there.

Here are some stories on the Skydome's interlocking FieldTurf installation:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050202/290/fbn81.html

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/02/02/Sports/skydome050201.html

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Toronto/2005/02/02/918097-cp.html

excerpt:

"And the synthetic turf will be moved out in favour of the popular FieldTurf ersatz grass surface at a cost of just under $2 million. The turf, which is manufactured by a Montreal-based company, can be moved around on individual pallets and refigured for other events, such as football. It will be different than the surface installed last year by the Argos."

(if the same panels are to be reconfigured for football, then I expect there would not be permanent lines on them)

The stories are not explicit about the installation timing, but the tone seems to suggest it will be completed by the April opening.

Even if compatible for soccer, the question remains as to why the Croatian team would possibly want to play on FieldTurf this year, as none of their WCQ matches are on it. The Europeans are usually more hard-nosed about looking for the beneficial sides of such things. IF Croatia comes to Skydome, expect the real grass to be laid in quickly and an extra high-drawing team (in a 3 match tourney to pay for it). England do not play in WCQ at all in June (Scotland has 2 WCQ matches the first week in June), and are apparently looking for some friendlies (there has been bigsoccer scuttlebut since December about the FA negotiating playing the US and Argentina on the US east coast at the end of May and early June, and if that doesn't pan out, then this might be an alternative...and Erikkson sure needs some friendlies not close to any WCQ's to properly and fully test out his up-and-comers like SW-P, Gray and Downing), so maybe Sharpe's connections will pay off.

Nice to see everyone excited!!!

I too would expect the game to get televised not only here, but in Croatia as well. Its no doubt in my mind that local Toronto-based Croatians are the ones to thank. There is Croats in the Toronto area who have serious connections back home, but I have a feeling it had something to do with local soccer figures that apart of Toronto Croatia soccer club that play in the CPSL. There win this past year made its way in the Croatian media and it was well-received. Im only surprised something like this didnt happen sooner! Personally, I think the idea clicked this past summer while some these very same Croats watched Celtic, Roma etc. come here.

Croatia is well aware of Croatian commmunity in Toronto and it wouldnt come as a shock that at least a member of their national team has family in the Toronto area or some small connection. Expect to see a FULL CROATIAN SQUAD too!!! They wont cheat us, the locals wouldnt take it LOL

Cheers for now, if I find out anymore info I'll keep you guys informed.

Nice to see everyone excited!!!

I too would expect the game to get televised not only here, but in Croatia as well. Its no doubt in my mind that local Toronto-based Croatians are the ones to thank. There is Croats in the Toronto area who have serious connections back home, but I have a feeling it had something to do with local soccer figures that apart of Toronto Croatia soccer club that play in the CPSL. There win this past year made its way in the Croatian media and it was well-received. Im only surprised something like this didnt happen sooner! Personally, I think the idea clicked this past summer while some these very same Croats watched Celtic, Roma etc. come here.

Croatia is well aware of Croatian commmunity in Toronto and it wouldnt come as a shock that at least a member of their national team has family in the Toronto area or some small connection. Expect to see a FULL CROATIAN SQUAD too!!! They wont cheat us, the locals wouldnt take it LOL

Cheers for now, if I find out anymore info I'll keep you guys informed.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

IF Croatia comes to Skydome, expect the real grass to be laid in quickly and an extra high-drawing team (in a 3 match tourney to pay for it).

I would think that this is the only scenario in which installation of real grass would be worthwhile. It would seem to be a huge waste of money, time and effort to install grass only for one match.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

IF Croatia comes to Skydome, expect the real grass to be laid in quickly and an extra high-drawing team (in a 3 match tourney to pay for it).

I would think that this is the only scenario in which installation of real grass would be worthwhile. It would seem to be a huge waste of money, time and effort to install grass only for one match.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Agreed, and you would need a team like England (or similiar stature) to draw in the sufficient crowds as well for the sufficient $.

Heck, you might even get the LittleBritainers and/or Euro-snobs in places like the tabloids interested in a Canada match for once!

Guest HamiltonSteelers

If there isn't a supporters section, we'll claim one. We'll talk to the promoters and get a section all to ourselves. If anyone of 'official' status with the Voyageurs could extend the first line of communication... or hell, I'll do it, if need be.

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

If there isn't a supporters section, we'll claim one. We'll talk to the promoters and get a section all to ourselves. If anyone of 'official' status with the Voyageurs could extend the first line of communication... or hell, I'll do it, if need be.

There are no people of "official" status per se in Voyageurs. You need somebody local to take over the approach and follow-up, like I personally did with the ASA (who in turn had to work out the practical details with the CSA and Ticketmaster) to get the Voyageurs section at Commonwealth for the Honduras match. We have had some credibility built up with the CSA in this regard, so they may allow us to have a section set aside for member purchases without pre-purchase, such as I did in Edmonton. The basic philosophy as to where has always been close to the field and as in front of the TV cameras as possible.

Start a thread once the match is announced and try to get some guys or a guy accepted by consensus as being responsible. Find out who is organizationally responsible for the ticket and site organization (be it the OSA or the CSA, or any other party), and push from there. Make sure only one person speaks for the Voyageurs with the organizers to prevent confusion. HamiltonSteelers, with your work on the Thunder fansite, I know you are credible and capable, and would certainly have my support for speaking on behalf of the V's if most could agree here. It may mean having to go to TO a few times to ensure a few things however. Good luck.

This just in:

"Canada to invade Croatia."

Apparently, one of the first tasks our refurbised military will undergo is a full invasion of Croatia. With new money and new troops, hardware and training on the way, it appears we've decided to flex our new muscles--okay, a bicep and maybe a deltoid--and start invading countries. Croatia has been selected because:

1) Most of their population already lives in Canada, and conquering it should prove relatively "straight ahead."

2) "Kurac" (spelling?) is a very cool curse word, and will do well beside "tabernac" and "f--- off, eh"

3) Once conquered, we would finally have a viable domestic soccer league, a Euro-base for our foreign players, and some damn fine coaches--not to mention all the plum-brandy anybody in their right mind would ever want to consume. (Or is it the Serbians who drink the plum brandy?)

4) All rumours of Canada v Croatia friendlies will be forever eliminated, because CROATIA WILL CEASE TO EXIST.

5) We can brag to the Americans that we finally conquered something

Everybody south or east of Vienna drinks something like plum-brandy. Pear, apricot, or the left over vineyard grapes for Rakia. I'm not sure about Croatia, but in Romania you should preferrably start well before noon, with "bacon." I hope we can one day adequately translate the term "bacon" for the rest of the world. Rendered pork fat is not my favourite definition.

Wow, that announcement caught me real off guard. Something must have came up, I dunno I'll talk to my dad and see what he has to stay. The national team coach Zlatko Kranjcar was in Toronto for that reason, someone must have pulled out.

Maybe they didn't want to play on FieldTurf and that was the only option. This would be important to know as we now know that our national stadium is going to have a Fieldturf surface.

quote:Originally posted by Croat

Wow, that announcement caught me real off guard. Something must have came up, I dunno I'll talk to my dad and see what he has to stay. The national team coach Zlatko Kranjcar was in Toronto for that reason, someone must have pulled out.

That was exactly it, I was told issues came up over the FieldTurf. CSA thought it was too costly to put in real grass for that one game. I kinda dont understand, a game like that would have sold-out (50,000). The CSA could have still easily turned out a profit.

quote:Originally posted by Croat

CSA thought it was too costly to put in real grass for that one game. I kinda dont understand, a game like that would have sold-out (50,000). The CSA could have still easily turned out a profit.

I don't know about that. As I said earlier in this thread, I don't think it is feasible to install real grass for just one match. Playing at SkyDome would already cost more than at other stadiums due to the higher rental fee. Then add about $500,000 for real grass. The CSA should not be taking risks on such things when there is so much else to worry about.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Yet we're building a supposed national stadium with Fieldturf.

I had that thought as well. However, the issue here may be SkyDome's artificial surface in particular, which probably cannot be FIFA-approved by the time of the match (if ever).

Archived