Our next match ?

Winnipeg Fury

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Although we probably will go back to playing Euro games (to save money/flight times), it would be nice to see us organize a CONCACAF tourney with Jamaica, El Salvador and Cuba, to be played during the CONCACAF hex schedule.

I like that idea the best of the rest in a counter tourney ......it'll never happen ........but there's gotta be a sponsor in Central America for this !

Although we probably will go back to playing Euro games (to save money/flight times), it would be nice to see us organize a CONCACAF tourney with Jamaica, El Salvador and Cuba, to be played during the CONCACAF hex schedule.

This is pure dynamite as an idea!! Damn, too bad we weren't able to run this tournament ourselves. "The Voyageur We-Missed-the-Hex Annual Tournament (and Piss-Up)"

I hope we get some games. We need some games. If we don't, then we need to have a serious talk with Pipe.

If the BC Provincial Association can bring Millwall and Hearts to play Canada, then there's no reason that any of our Provincial Associations couldn't bring the likes of Cuba, El Salvador and Haiti to Canada.

There's also 6 countries in the Hex that will be looking for opponents as they prepare for the final push towards World Cup 2006.

China and New Zealand could be guest teams.

We don't need the 'World Cup'! we can have our own World Cup! we can call it the "Real" world cup and invite the teams stupid fifa shuns. I believe Djibouti, Guam, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Belize, Hong Kong, and Sri Lanka will all be available.

Heres a breakdown of the groups as I see it:

Group 1

Djibouti

Cambodia

Belize

Guam

Group 2

Canada

Brunei Darussalam

Sri Lanka

Hong Kong

..I think we got a pretty favorable draw, avoiding a powerful Cambodian juggerknot. I am optimistic Canada will bring home the 'real' world cup - yea Canada!

With the Gold Cup being played next summer, I don't think there would be time for a tournament. Let's do that in 2006 and/or 2007. For 2005 I would just like to see us use as many of the international dates as possible. There is such a date in February and, besides those who will be playing WCQ matches, 16 other countries have already set up friendlies, so we're already behind. Let's get moving quickly!

I e-mailed the CSA about ten days ago asking about pre-Gold Cup friendlies, sad to admit, but we are in that phase now, and a CSA rep stated they well be playing some friendlies, but working to confirm with whom as several countries need to wait till after Nov. 17th to determine availability.

Why is the schedule not alreay set up?

Of course I know that the CSA had to wait until Canada is out of WCQ and possible opponents also, but the German schedule is always set 1 or 2 years ahead. Germany has a trip to Asia this autumn that was planed two years ago and we have a game against the Netherlands on the 17th of august 2005 and after that a trip to South America with games against Argentina and probably Brasil. Of course I know that it is easier for Germany to find opponents than for Canada, but still ther should be a broader concept, plan... whatever...

quote:Originally posted by Tim St.Pauli

Why is the schedule not alreay set up?

Of course I know that the CSA had to wait until Canada is out of WCQ and possible opponents also, but the German schedule is always set 1 or 2 years ahead. Germany has a trip to Asia this autumn that was planed two years ago and we have a game against the Netherlands on the 17th of august 2005 and after that a trip to South America with games against Argentina and probably Brasil. Of course I know that it is easier for Germany to find opponents than for Canada, but still ther should be a broader concept, plan... whatever...

And not to push the stereotype too far, but the Germans have probably also schedule the bowel movements for each of their players over the next couple of years.

And not to crap all over my juvenile bit of racism above, but I must admit we could certainly be better organized. Maybe not uber-organized like some sort of teuton juggernaut, but certainly much better than the cross-eyed bluster-bunch that is currently sailing this ship. Sorry for being repetitive, but first you need a strong vision, then you need to execute it. My fear is that we do not have the vision--and by "we", I mean the "CSA"--and as a result we are merely managing the deck chairs on a ship that could very likely be the Titanic. Or we could all buy into canso's conspiracy theory. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

I would like to see Canada in a friendly against Haiti in may or july. That could be a way to support the haitian in rough times in their country.

Hold a benefit game on the FT at the Big O and that'll be sure to attract a very good crowd.

Wouldnt it be easier for Canada to schedule a February friendly against the lesser south american teams like bolivia and venezuela compared to a Euro team like scotland? These south american teams need friendlies badly, as everyone is still alive in south american wcq (which is on hold until march), and like us, nobody wants to play them. Plus, the play of these squads is more similar to our concacaf rivals in style, and they are at a higher level than we are used to.

From what Frank has said in many interviews, he wants more games. He knows it is key to bringing the team together. I think we will see more games starting in January. I don't think he can afford not to have many games. Frank will get as many games as he can get. He won't wait for international dates. He will field what ever group of guys he can get for each game. In the long run he will have a core of guys who are starting to know each other. That's my take on it...

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Wouldnt it be easier for Canada to schedule a February friendly against the lesser south american teams like bolivia and venezuela compared to a Euro team like scotland? These south american teams need friendlies badly, as everyone is still alive in south american wcq (which is on hold until march), and like us, nobody wants to play them. Plus, the play of these squads is more similar to our concacaf rivals in style, and they are at a higher level than we are used to.

Bolivia and Venezulea make big bucks playing in places like Miami and Los Angeles. We may not be able to afford them.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

teams like bolivia and ecuador vs canada could draw enough to fill up the skydome. then again, so could scotland or any decent european nation. I know the toronto haters wont care, but i'd love to see the CSA bring a big game to the skydome like the Championsworld tour did.

The CSA did that ten years ago in Skydome. There was two prominent nations (Portugal was one I think) and it didn't that draw well.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

A topic for more idle speculation: do any of our current national team pool players have a chance at the all-time national team scoring lead (which is currently at 20 goals)? I suppose this is directly related to how many games we get in the near- and not-so-near-future.

Catliff, Mitchell 19 goals

Bunbury 16 goals

Corazzin 11 goals

Pesch 10 goals

Radzinski, DD, McKenna 7 goals

Sadly I don't think anyone on the list will break the record, particularly when we rarely play.

Yeah, sure that is typical German, but all I wanted to say is that there could be more organization! I also know that Germany knows that they're only goung to have friendlies for a couple of years now, but they managed to arrange a match against the Netherlands which players are very busy in WCQ (and team matches including Champions league etc). So, compared to that with a well thought plan the CSA could have organized a friendly for February 2005 against a South American country already one year ago! Or a friendly in Europe against something like Australia or even an African side.

Originally posted by The Beaver

Archived